Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,764 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of tense debates that happen here, so I thought I might give you all a fun video to watch. Our day to day problems are so trivial when we put into perspective how awesome and powerful God is. I know you disagree atheists, but I know you can appreciate something like this.

People die, people hurt, people cry, people starve, people start wars, people get the better parking space, people complain about rights, people just plain complain about anything and everything.

When we look at how small we are, it makes all of our problems seem so trivial. God is in control and in the end a better place awaits us. I know not all of you believe in my God or god period, but enjoy this look at our reality.

Gas - Microscopic [HD Video] - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,651 times
A similar concept, but interactive!

I had the Powers of Ten in book form as a kid, and loved it. The universe truly is a marvelous place, and much more awe-inspiring than any man-made God is.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
I agree that the sheer scale and complexity of the universe is amazing and awe inspiring.

Where I differ is that I think the complexity of humanity is equally compelling. I hope that my awe of the natural universe never leads me to dismiss or downplay the immensity of human suffering, the horrors of injustice, or the cruelty we can display to each other. I don't ever want to use "For the poor always ye have with you..." as a reason to ignore another human being.

NoCapo

Old 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Both the video and the interactive site are impressive...Thanks for sharing them.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
The immensity of the universe, even the micro-portion that we have begun to investigate, ca only have been achieved by in-place natural laws and processes, and with time we will understand most or all of those laws. Otherwise it would take an entity of unimaginable power, but for what purpose and to what end?

Once it's done, completed and finished, what would He then do? Sit about and demand and expect to be praised and honored?

What a brazen and self-centered ego! And bored to boot: nothing to do but judge us at some silly creatively-imagined Pearly Gates? And for eternity? Yawn. Snore.

When we do in fact see that all the cosmic items, events and processes are explicable in relatively simple terms, what need will there be for a god that has been assumed to operate outside of reality and logic?

What, when we'll have the "process logic"? (And noting that we already do have so many of those processes understood. Like, for example, Evolution and a truly ancient earth's age [++>> 1B years and counting].

Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The immensity of the universe, even the micro-portion that we have begun to investigate, ca only have been achieved by in-place natural laws and processes, and with time we will understand most or all of those laws. Otherwise it would take an entity of unimaginable power, but for what purpose and to what end?
Your "in-place natural laws and processes ARE God, rifle . . . you just cannot let go of your biases against the absurd religious stereotypical God beliefs etc. and just consider it coldly and objectively. Our inability to comprehend such an immense consciousness or the role our individual consciousnesses play in procreating its expansion . . . is a limitation of our imagination . . . not God's. I agree we will know more and it may not seem so unimaginable then.
Quote:
Once it's done, completed and finished, what would He then do? Sit about and demand and expect to be praised and honored?
What a brazen and self-centered ego! And bored to boot: nothing to do but judge us at some silly creatively-imagined Pearly Gates? And for eternity? Yawn. Snore.
This is what I mean . . . you are stuck in the religious constructs and cannot get out of that limiting conceptual box!!! Get over it. They are man made concepts and beliefs that are not controlling. God requires no worship or praise or anything else from us . . . other than the successful reproduction of His consciousness with agape love for all life.
Quote:
When we do in fact see that all the cosmic items, events and processes are explicable in relatively simple terms, what need will there be for a god that has been assumed to operate outside of reality and logic?
What, when we'll have the "process logic"? (And noting that we already do have so many of those processes understood. Like, for example, Evolution and a truly ancient earth's age [++>> 1B years and counting].
God is NOT outside of anything . . . you really are deeply mired in the religious crapola. Let it go, rifle . . . free your mind to consider God as the reality that is . . . not as some superstitious religious dogma portrays God.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
A similar concept, but interactive!
Awesome Fillmont!

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
There are a lot of tense debates that happen here, so I thought I might give you all a fun video to watch. Our day to day problems are so trivial when we put into perspective how awesome and powerful God is. I know you disagree atheists, but I know you can appreciate something like this.
I know how intensely you despise my beliefs, and I hesitated to even comment because of that, but I had to tell you how much I enjoyed this video. My sister told me about it a long time ago and kept telling me she was going to send me the link, but kept forgetting. It was absolutely amazing.

Quote:
When we look at how small we are, it makes all of our problems seem so trivial. God is in control and in the end a better place awaits us. I know not all of you believe in my God or god period, but enjoy this look at our reality.
To me, what's really incredible is that I don't believe God sees our problems as trivial. I think he's as aware of our wants and needs as if he were at the 1 meter distance from us. I was always taught that nothing that is important to me is unimportant to God. To me, that's always been a great source of comfort.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Awesome Fillmont!

Thanks!
No problem. I had never known there was a Powers of Ten video, so I had a great time watching it. Thanks all around!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Such a perspective, yet we humans still insist we are the center of the universe and all that was made just for us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality