Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM

278 posts, read 357,570 times

Advertisements

This is the kalam Cosmological Argument.
Whatever begins to exist, has a cause of its existence.
The universe began to exist.
Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.
This cause is God.

Here is the argument with some supporting arguments.

Whatever begins to exist, has a cause of its existence.
If the universe did not begin to exist, then it has existed forever.
Actual infinites cannot exist.
Infinite time, or existing forever is impossible.
Therefore universe began to exist.
Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.
This cause must be timeless.
This cause is personal because only a personal cause can change something from one state to a completely new state.
This cause is God.

I find this reasoning very flawed, especially the 8th premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
The universe is 13.7 billion years old.

By regression cosmologist are able to figure how the universe expanded.

However, cosmologists do not know what caused the Big Bang. At time zero quantum mechanics and relativity break down.

Cosmologists have been unable to determine what initiated the BB.

The Kalam Cosmologicl Argument is a lot like the arguments made by Saint Thomas in the 13th century.

Before Hubble discovered the expansion of the universe in 1929 a Catholic Priest named Georges Lemaitre had predicted the expansion of the universe and the BB in 1927 based on the work of Einstein.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
See the living Father God is much bigger than the imagination of the logic of men , as some men would like to see Father God the size that they can believe , ...Some agnostic like to make God as small as irrelevant as they can make Him , and the atheists deny Father God even exists which would be contrary to their spirit and their existence ..... On the mountain were Moses asked Father God who He was , God come not even give a clear understanding of Him self and said ``I AM, that I AM`.... See there are many Christians who have a hard time understanding how BIG Father God is , were some water down the wisdom understanding of the Word of God and make some other explanation which They believe ... The way I see the Lord God is that He must be Big enough to have created the vastness of the universe, and intellect enough create the living Body of an animal the Biggest to the very small that man eyes can not see , then regulate an environment were life can thrive, plus create the spirit world that men cannot see but is there and very much alive with some intelligence in the dark realm , to the divine realm .....

Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 AM

337 posts, read 408,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
Actual infinites cannot exist.
Infinite time, or existing forever is impossible.

I don't think that mathematics claims that infinity can't exist, but that an infinite number of things can’t exist in the real world and an infinite number of past events can’t exist. In other words there has to be an eternal God that is without a creator or the laws of mathematics would be broken. If God had a creator then we could go on forever asking who created God, then who created the being that created God, then who created the being that created the being that created God, etc… Having an infinite number of creators is impossible in mathematics.

And I think the other question is did time exist prior to our universe? The beginning of space and time is usually associated with our universe, not prior to it. It is pretty well accepted that the universe had a beginning and that beginning is associated with the beginning of space and time as we know it. Prior to that I don’t think that we can say that God can’t exist, because existing forever is impossible. It might be the case that existence forever in our universe is impossible, but that’s about all we can say without being very speculative and broadcasting our universe’s characteristics onto whatever was there prior to it.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 AM

278 posts, read 357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
I don't think that mathematics claims that infinity can't exist, but that an infinite number of things can’t exist in the real world and an infinite number of past events can’t exist. In other words there has to be an eternal God that is without a creator or the laws of mathematics would be broken. If God had a creator then we could go on forever asking who created God, then who created the being that created God, then who created the being that created the being that created God, etc… Having an infinite number of creators is impossible in mathematics.

And I think the other question is did time exist prior to our universe? The beginning of space and time is usually associated with our universe, not prior to it. It is pretty well accepted that the universe had a beginning and that beginning is associated with the beginning of space and time as we know it. Prior to that I don’t think that we can say that God can’t exist, because existing forever is impossible. It might be the case that existence forever in our universe is impossible, but that’s about all we can say without being very speculative and broadcasting our universe’s characteristics onto whatever was there prior to it.

One way out of the time problem is to propose a deity who exists outside of time, but then the atheist would argue that some natural phenomena might have been timeless and created the universe.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post

Exactly.

My feeble mind had already been overwhelmed by Big Bang and where this infinitely small but infinity dense thing that contained all matter came from. Then I discovered string theory and the eleven dimensions, eleven planes, and the theory that our universe is the result of a bubble that formed into our own plane from another, and that our universe is but a small piece of a larger plane.... my head hurts just trying to write this out. Never mind the potential of an intelligent designer who might have caused all of this from his laboratory located somewhere in the vagaries of different string planes

I think I will stick with the message of Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality