Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,803,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
I don't know much about this whole subject, but isn't it possible that the earth as a planet has been around for billions of years, and so have the stars and other heavenly bodies, but that God just inhabited the earth more recently? I mean, does Genesis even talk about the creation of our planet? I don't know... I suppose then you have to answer the question of "Let there be light" (ie: did God create the sun during that week... which wouldn't make sense if the earth already existed because how could we be part of a solar system without a "solar" )... but perhaps the creation account was written from the physical perspective of earth. Perhaps it was dark on earth for some other reason up until then (atmospheric, or something like that. Or maybe the sun didn't give off light until God said so..). I dunno
I cant find anything in the teachings of Jesus that require one to believe (or disbelieve) in a flat earth, a 10,000year old or less age of Earth, science, evolution, or anything else.

The message of Jesus is ALL about being right with God, and right with fellow humans. All else is irrelevant, despite what the thumpers may claim.

My apologies for my short temper. I'm not human tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,868,713 times
I'm willing to believe that God created the universe, earth and mankind. I'm even willing to accept a 'big bang' theory (God said it and "bang", it was created). If the Bible specifically said that God created the earth 6,000-10,000 years ago, then, of course, I would stand on that as truth. But, it doesn't! (People get that time span by calculating the ages of Bible figures down through the ages). Of course, God "had no idea that detractors would do this.

One thing the Bible clearly states (and I believe) is that God created "time", as we understand it, on the fourth day ... "so man (not eternal God) would have a way to mark seasons, days and years" -- How long did the first three 'timeless, eternal days of God' last?? Who knows or really cares, except those who want to use human wisdom to disprove an infinite, creator-God.

... And evolution really doesn't have anything to do with the discredited 'theoretical science' - that some pretend to worship. The real issue is 'Accountability to God!' If people can rationalize their own evolution from swamp gas, then, they have no accountability to anyone/thing but, themselves. But, if God created man, then, like it or not, men are accountable to God!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,651,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm willing to believe that God created the universe, earth and mankind. I'm even willing to accept a 'big bang' theory (God said it and "bang", it was created). If the Bible specifically said that God created the earth 6,000-10,000 years ago, then, of course, I would stand on that as truth. But, it doesn't! (People get that time span by calculating the ages of Bible figures down through the ages). Of course, God "had no idea that detractors would do this.

One thing the Bible clearly states (and I believe) is that God created "time", as we understand it, on the fourth day ... "so man (not eternal God) would have a way to mark seasons, days and years" -- How long did the first three 'timeless, eternal days of God' last?? Who knows or really cares, except those who want to use human wisdom to disprove an infinite, creator-God.

... And evolution really doesn't have anything to do with the discredited 'theoretical science' - that some pretend to worship. The real issue is 'Accountability to God!' If people can rationalize their own evolution from swamp gas, then, they have no accountability to anyone/thing but, themselves. But, if God created man, then, like it or not, men are accountable to God!
That's correct. Evolution has absolutely no answer for time. What we would expect would be randomness and unpredictability. This is true for most of the evolution arguments. We would expect randomness, not uniform Laws. So the whole concept fall flat on its face really as they borrow from the Scriptural principles they attempt to deny.

I've provided some pretty good presentations that present the other story. I advise all to at least get both sides. Good Scientists recognize their World View bias and try to be objectionable to the data. We only get one side inculcated into our thinking since we had this Evolution propaganda taught to us in our Public Schools at a young age. So this has, whether we want to believe it or not, helped mold our thinking to the "Ascending Man" old Universe mentality. The infallibility of the Scriptures are an issue. God said all was made in 6 Literal days writing it on two pieces of stone - the Ten Commandments. The Bible doesn't have great gaps in it, but everything is recorded through Genealogies and historical landmarks.

In the end, you are right. All this ultimately comes down to one concept, Accountability to our Maker. The Scriptures say our Maker became a Man as the Messiah to reconcile a fallen Creation and its species back to him. He also says those that reject him have a very bleak destiny.

If Creationists are wrong (which we aren't) our body goes back to the Earth. None of this really mattered in the end. If the Evolution Theologians are wrong, than there will be a day in which they are standing before their Maker.

The Scriptures are clear this will be a terrifying day for all of us (believers included). I can not imagine how terrifying it will be with NO HOPE getting sentenced to an eternity without the source of all light, love, and hope. Wow people going down this path are crazy.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 PM

661 posts, read 623,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Hey jghorton.. random question... are you an open theist? just curious You said "God had no idea detractors would do this".

Meh... I also don't really know why the age of the earth is relevant. Maybe it is to do with whether humans "evolved" or were actually created literally out of the dust. I go with literally out of the dust, but I still don't get how earth's age has anything to do with that.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 PM

63,985 posts, read 40,262,899 times
Quote:
I don't know much about this whole subject, but isn't it possible that the earth as a planet has been around for billions of years, and so have the stars and other heavenly bodies, but that God just inhabited the earth more recently? I mean, does Genesis even talk about the creation of our planet? I don't know... I suppose then you have to answer the question of "Let there be light" (ie: did God create the sun during that week... which wouldn't make sense if the earth already existed because how could we be part of a solar system without a "solar" )... but perhaps the creation account was written from the physical perspective of earth. Perhaps it was dark on earth for some other reason up until then (atmospheric, or something like that. Or maybe the sun didn't give off light until God said so..). I dunno
Quote:
Meh... I also don't really know why the age of the earth is relevant. Maybe it is to do with whether humans "evolved" or were actually created literally out of the dust. I go with literally out of the dust, but I still don't get how earth's age has anything to do with that.
Just a thought, Steph . . . if WE are dust (and we are) . . . why wouldn't our primate precursors be the dust into which God breathed a living soul after they had evolved sufficiently to be a suitable "temple" for it. As I said . . . just a thought.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM

33,579 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Steph198O.....No sun, no light=no life as we know it...That is a problem...

Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM

661 posts, read 623,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Just a thought, Steph . . . if WE are dust (and we are) . . . why wouldn't our primate precursors be the dust into which God breathed a living soul after they had evolved sufficiently to be a suitable "temple" for it. As I said . . . just a thought.
Of course there are lots of theories on how to understand the Genesis account.

I reckon the main truths are that God created all life, including mankind in His image, starting with Adam and Eve (however you interpret 'starting'); they disobeyed God, and their posterity suffer certain consequences as a result.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,844,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post

Evolution is a RELIGIOUS science fiction Ideology. Age estimates are based upon ASSUMPTIONS that Evolution is true.
Where did you get that? That's bass ackwards. Evolution has no bearing on "Age estimates." In fact ancient age estimates were being calculated prior to the ToE was even developed. It is the evolutionists that are stuck with the age estimates that geologists give them, not the other way around.

Last edited by PanTerra; 03-08-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 PM

60 posts, read 92,753 times
Institute for Creation Research.com

Creation Studies Institute.com

Creation Evidence Museum.com

Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 PM

33,579 posts, read 37,215,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makahiya View Post
Institute for Creation Research.com

Creation Studies Institute.com

Creation Evidence Museum.com
Why do you keep posting this? Are you spamming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality