Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,822 times

Advertisements

So, the speed of light = 299,792,458 m/s...
And based upon this, astronomers can tell us the age of the earth, with varying levels of preciseness... but they of course all indicate that the earth is much, much older than 6000 years. Given the massive distance of these stars from earth, it would take many millions of years for their light to reach us here on earth.

So, if the earth *is* only 6000 years old, did god create the stars billions of years earlier, so that the light from them could start falling on earth, many, many years later?

Or did god simply alter the laws of physics in order to get the light to earth faster?

To any young earth creationists... how do you reconcile the distance of stars with your understanding of the age of the earth?

Bonus Question: Why did god fill the sky with trillions of celestial bodies so far away that humanity will likely never reach them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
So, the speed of light = 299,792,458 m/s...
And based upon this, astronomers can tell us the age of the earth, with varying levels of preciseness... but they of course all indicate that the earth is much, much older than 6000 years. Given the massive distance of these stars from earth, it would take many millions of years for their light to reach us here on earth.

So, if the earth *is* only 6000 years old, did god create the stars billions of years earlier, so that the light from them could start falling on earth, many, many years later?

Or did god simply alter the laws of physics in order to get the light to earth faster?

To any young earth creationists... how do you reconcile the distance of stars with your understanding of the age of the earth?

Bonus Question: Why did god fill the sky with trillions of celestial bodies so far away that humanity will likely never reach them?
I believe that when God created the sun and stars, the light path from these bodies to the earth was instantly existing. Actually, He created light before He even created the sun and stars!

Regarding bonus question: I don't know, but it sure makes us feel small, doesn't it?

Last edited by cg81; 09-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Added thot

Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
The speed of light is just that, the speed light travels. It is great to measure distance between our planet and distant heavenly bodies. But where does the leap come in that distance = age? I know the common answer is that if a star is 3 million light years away, it took 3 million years to reach us. That's a fine answer, but is it the only answer?

From a biblical creationist standpoint, it's not the only answer. From a creationist standpoint, the stars that were created in the beginning were created whole and already shining -- much like Adam was created as a mature adult male, and not a baby that had to grow up.

I'm not an astronomer and won't pretend otherwise. There are a couple of explanations out there that address this question. And because you specifically aimed the question at YEC, I'm going to post links to the articles that give the YEC explanation. So no complaining. You asked and I've provided.

Light-travel time: a problem for the big bang
A new cosmology: solution to the starlight travel time problem (http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v17/i2/cosmology.asp - broken link)
Institute for Creation Research - A Christ-Focused Creation Ministry
A Review of Dr. Russ Humphreys ‘A Young-Earth Relativistic Cosmology’
Starlight Wars: Starlight and Time withstands attacks

I hope these links provide answers or at least help others better understand the YEC position on this topic.

My beliefs regarding the bonus question: Answer: Why? Because God is all powerful and majestic and the whole of His creation shows us this. If God wasn't magnificent, then the universe wouldn't be magnificent. His creation declares His glory. Because God gave us, His human creation, something to marvel at and enjoy and study. We don't have to reach them physically to appreciate their splendor and beauty and gaze in awesome wonder at all God has made.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 AM

204 posts, read 508,083 times
I am not a YEC (or at least I don't think I am )

My personal view is that no matter if the Earth is 6,000 or 6,000,000 years old my relationship with God is not going to change. So I guess that part of the question doesn't really matter to much to me.

But I'd like to take a stab at the bonus question.

I've always kinda thought that maybe those stars were also for the enjoyment of God and other beings in heaven like the angels. That they have something beautiful as well to look down upon.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 AM

91 posts, read 210,142 times
Maybe he created them for other purposes, maybe we aren't the only inhabited planet.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 AM

204 posts, read 508,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
Maybe he created them for other purposes, maybe we aren't the only inhabited planet.
Good point, maybe there are other planets with beings on them. I wonder

Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
It's probably more reasonable to think that there are other inhabited planets than it is to think that it's impossible that there should be.

We could be very, very insignificant inhabitants of the Universe. It wouldn't bother me one bit to find out that we were as important as a dust mote.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:46 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
We could be very, very insignificant inhabitants of the Universe. It wouldn't bother me one bit to find out that we were as important as a dust mote.
I understand your statement. However, myself, because of my faith and beliefs, I understand that we all are important and valuable and our lives have meaning and purpose.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:13 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Of course this is a nail in the coffin. Heck, it's a stake through the heart. If you're resorting to saying, "Well, he created the star WITH its light path intact," then it seems to me you're just attempting to grasp at any kind of straw whatsoever to keep your fundamentalism alight.

Maybe I just don't get it. Stars were formed randomly and the universe is expanding, which is why they're so far away and getting farther. Maybe there is other life out there. Given the randomness with which this planet is inhabited, I think it's very likely that others are, as well.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
To me it seems that it's an even more obvious error in YEC when they don't recognize that we see stars form all the time in space. So, if a star was forming 5 million light years away from us, than obviously for us to see it, the 5 million years would have had to elapse, making the universe much older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality