Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,358,380 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a Christian/Baptist home. Very strict upbringing. As I got older, I became curious about other religions and when I found out that there was more to religion than being a baptist or a Christian, I started questioning. At one point, I thought that there was no God but yet I felt in my heart that there is a God/Goddess/Spiritual Being, etc. I'm in my late 40's and have decided that I do believe in a higher power and it's the organized religion that has turned me off to Christianity. Paganism has been around for a long time also. Did the Pagans in the past before Christianity go to hell? Don't understand why God would do that. I know what the question is and I know everyone will have a different answer but what is the answer?
I have heard the denominations say things that they have the only true religion and everyone else is going to hell. When does the insanity stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM

679 posts, read 1,440,572 times
Quote:
When does the insanity stop?
When people stop debating which religion is the "right" one.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,899,171 times
Religion, in my opinion, is a four letter word.

I despise it.

I do believe in Jesus the Christ and I do believe that He's The Way, The Truth, and The Life, but I also know that my Lord and Savior flew in the face of religion ALL THROUGH THE GOSPELS.

Here's the only religion I recognize:
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. James 1:27
My 'beliefs' are a result of a relationship(with God) IN SPITE of man-made religion.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 AM

292 posts, read 934,672 times
Post As a result of a relationship with God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I despise it.

I do believe in Jesus the Christ and I do believe that He's The Way, The Truth, and The Life, but I also know that my Lord and Savior flew in the face of religion ALL THROUGH THE GOSPELS.

Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. James 1:27
My 'beliefs' are a result of a relationship(with God) IN SPITE of man-made religion.
~Amen~
My beliefs are also a result of a relationship with God! Also from what I am learning from reading the Word of God. (the bible)
It seems alot of us have been confused or mislead at one time or another but the Lord always makes room through the crowds and leads us to him!
Thank you Father!!!!
God bless all,
Jean

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM

292 posts, read 934,672 times
Post There is a better way

Quote:
When does the insanity stop?
I also agree this is insane!!! But you caught it and now know there is a better way! Good for you!!!

Jean

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-14-2007 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: fixin' the quotes for you!! :)

Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,419,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I despise it.

The only thing I can add to this is AMEN!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,535,910 times
My religion is my personal relationship with God..My relationship did not happen in the blink of an eye or by any supernatural occurance. My relationship developed through years of study, prayer and practicing the things I was learning. Organized religion was just pushing me from what I believed in my heart of hearts about God..When I finally realized that well meaning people may have added to or misunderstood the word of God, I had to step back and out of the nondenominational church where I had been a member for many years in order to stop me from getting farther and farther from Gods Promise. I am finally at peace with what I believe in...I am very protective about my relationship with God. For me, I have found that a showing of love and acceptance of all regardless of their belief or non is more pleasing to God than preaching a manmade doctrine that causes division and hate

Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 PM

443 posts, read 1,542,663 times
They can't all be right, but they can all be wrong.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,144 times
Default What religion is the right one?

I'm far from being religious. I believe in a fair and just God, and because of this, karma and reincarnation are to be taken quite seriously. I think because God has no emotions, he can be "fair and just" in his decisions.
Go easy on yourself...build a relationship with God, not the many categories of worn out religions. PEACE!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:57 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,358,380 times
Thanks to everyone for there answers.
I think as long as I continue to believe in God (because that's what feels right to me) and stay out of church, which I have now for several years, and stay away from any kind of organized religion, I should be in good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality