Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,258,449 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't even dare to hand in something like that as a scientific paper. Do you really think you know more about biology than your professor and the other ~ 98% of biologists who accept evolution? The arrogance of some religious believers never fails to amaze me. Somehow they're all experts in physics, chemistry, cosmology and biology and think they know better than the scientists who have spent their lives studying these topics. And to top it all off, they have the nerve to accuse the scientists of arrogance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,954,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
NO! NO! NO! That's not how it happened. Here let Mr. Garrison explain TRUTH about how evolution happened.

South Park Theory of Evolution - Spore Creature Creator - YouTube
Oh damn! Now you've given it all away, baystater! Damn You!! This is EXACTLY how it works! Now EVERYONE will know!

(And I'll be officially out of work here, what with my über-long-winded hyper-explanations that no-one reads anyhow! Least of all squallo-man!)

How dare you make it all so damned easy for them!!! I liked it a LOT better when it was all complicated and stuff!!

Well (<sigh>) there yah have it squallo. Everything you didn't know about Ebo-Loo-Shun, all rolled up in one nifty and short video. Butt-sexing frog-fish-squirrels!

So... go forth and teach it!

(oh, and I suppose. ...... 10X rep points to baystater, but sadly right now I can't!)

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 AM

570 posts, read 736,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff
The ancestor of Indians, who has many Indian genes, is still not quite Indian yet, unless you think that the first humans were Indians.

Quote:
It received its traits from its ancestors. It attained them by natural selection and mutations.
How ?
How could a common ancestor has human genes before humans exist ?
Quote:
Well, every human has over 100 mutations. There are 40 generation between Adam and Jesus according to the bible. So by that time, Jesus would have added about 4,000 mutations. Actually it is somewhat less because natural selection will tend to weed out bad mutations, but if every person is really having 100 mutations each, it is impossible to get people without bad mutations everywhere.

Now take into account that we have 20,000 genes.

I guess Jesus is lucky that not one of his 4000 mutations were non-fatal.
No comment ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer
Evolution doesn't happen just by random mutations.
I know that ...
Random mutation and natural selection drive evolution for the most part .
Random mutation is the key element of the emergence of new species .
Without it you would still be a fish !!!
Quote:
Do you understand what natural selection is?
Yes I do ..
Quote:
It is based on variation in traits, differential reproduction, heredity and fitness.
Variation is caused by mutation .
Without mutation evolution would lost its main factor .
That means the underlying genetic mechanism of evolution is random & rare and often fatal to the organism .
That is a fact .
Quote:
Here's a basic explanation with illustrations:

Natural selection
Thank you

Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 AM

50,131 posts, read 20,894,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post

How ?
How could a common ancestor has human genes before humans exist?
Wrong way round. The common ancestor genes have been handed onto humans. I suppose the additional genetic traits particular to human have been added and of course they wouldn't be in the common ancestor or indeed in chimps and gorillas whose family branched off long before we started walking.

Quote:
Without mutation evolution would lost its main factor.

Quite so - but there are mutations so the theory of evolution does not lose its main factor. However, you argue that it does exist but cannot possibly make evolution work because:

Quote:
That means the underlying genetic mechanism of evolution is random & rare and often fatal to the organism..
Quote:
Quote:
That is a fact.
I think that your point that "the underlying genetic mechanism of evolution is random & rare" is a valid one. 'often fatal to the organism' is either wrong or irrelevant. What doesn't work, doesn't survive. What does survive, works. Just how we could have a handy mutation around just convenient to push us into an arising ecological niche is an interesting question. I would like to understand that mechanism better myself.

But it would be quite wrong for you to use that as a reason to claim that evolution can't work, because the evidence that it did and does is surely conclusive and all we have is some unanswered question about the mechanism.

If this can be explained would you then have any other practical problems with accepting evolution theory at least as feasible?

Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
.How long was it before they stopped laughing at you?
They were already laughing before i started ,They were reading :
"The key element of the emergence of new species is random" !!
They stopped laughing when i said this :
"The underlying genetic mechanism of evolution is rare and often fatal to the organism" !!
They start crying with this :
98% of biologists accept evolution !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
This was a "scientific" paper?
We call it scientific paper ...
Every student has to come up with a new idea by the end of every semester .
Quote:
In my world you would be kicked out of my class, and to another that teaches the very basics of evolution.
What about other peoples world ... why do you think they would kick me out ?
If our DNA doesn't change, living things could never change regardless of how much time passes.
Since evolution rejects purposeful design then genetic change could only be random or accidental.
So you are the one who believe that the emergence of new species is driven by rare random incidents which is mostly fatal & do not give an advantage ... not me
So again why do you think they would kick me out of saing that ?
Quote:
My grandkids know more about evolution than you do.
I want to have my own opinion ...
You should let them try it too.... away from your influence .

Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM

278 posts, read 358,634 times
Quote:

How ?
How could a common ancestor has human genes before humans exist ?
You have got it backwards. We have the common ancestor's genes, not the other way around.

It is like asking how my mother could have many of my genes before I even existed.

This is because my genes are not unique to me, they were inherited from my mother.

Quote:
No comment ..
Thanks for accepting my explanation.

If you have any more questions about evolution, feel free to ask.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 PM

27,793 posts, read 28,902,522 times
Quote:
Without mutation evolution would lost its main factor.
I disagree that mutation is the main factor in evolution. That's like saying gasoline is the main factor in running an automobile. It's a necessary component, but there's much more to it than that.

In my understanding, differential reproduction is the main driver of evolution. Differential reproduction means that individuals with certain variations in traits are more fit to produce offspring in a particular environment than individuals with other variations in traits. This is what actually causes evolutionary changes in populations over time. Without differential reproduction, evolution would not happen.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,954,364 times
Default Some Simple Observations

It seems to be inexplicable, or incomprehensible, to the constant deniers of Evolution that any part of this logical process occurs.

But still... let's try it one more time:[/b]

√ Chance mutations in any organism's genome sequence do occur. We can see this by simple observation.

[b]Do you disagree with this 1st observation squall? Yes or No?[/B

√ Given the pure chance aspect of this one element of Evolutionary change (i.e.:yes, there are other established mechanisms...], one would expect, in a complex organism, that most changes would therefore be lethal. Purely by statistical probability. As well, the higher, more complex organisms do not usually exist in large numbers, thus their statistical chances for Evolutionary improvement lessen as they become more complex. This does not mean such improvements are not possible, just slower.

[b]Do you disagree with this 2nd observation squall? Yes or No?[/B

√ Given the mass number of such reproductive events in the lesser uni- or simple multi-celled organisms, existing as they do in huge numbers in ocean water (10 B per liter, reproducing about once every 24h, and therefore growing exponentially), it's reasonable to predict that any beneficial change would rapidly become dominant, if it offers any sort of reproductive/survival benefit.

[b]Do you disagree with this 3rd observation squall? Yes or No?[/B

Well, before I waste any more of my time, I need to have your Yes/No answers to the first 3 observations. I can explain each one in more detail if you just don't get it, but if you just plain refuse to participate or give us a simple answer, then why should I, or anyone else, bother to continue?

[b]Do you disagree with this conclusion squall? Yes or No?[/B

Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA
Perhaps there is a need for a couple more comments. I couldn't let you walk off thinking that you had proved that statistically mutation cannot function as a mechanism for evolution.
Believe me .. I don't want to prove anything ...
It's just my opinion ...
I made my statistics so why don't you make yours ...
I want to see it if it's possible .
Quote:
Nor that not knowing just what ecological niche became available means that there is no evidence. There is evidence to suggest what factors provided the need for an evolution step, but it would be wrong of me to say that I knew for certain.
That is why I said that I admire your honesty.
Quote:
Mutations are not that rare.
Not that rare ..
That statement alone proves it is ...otherwise you would say : no it is not rare .
Quote:
Talk origins posted: "humans have about 1.6 mutations per generation. This is likely an underestimate, because mutations with very small effect are easy to miss in the studies. Including neutral mutations, each human zygote has about 64 new mutations (Drake et al. 1998). Another estimate concludes 175 mutations per generation, including at least 3 deleterious mutations (Nachman and Crowell 2000)."
My point was not about new mutations in general .. it is about genetic mutations that cause the appearance of a positive new recipes which leads to the emergence of new species through time .
Quote:
It is not true (as I said before) that most are 'fatal' unless you mean that most do not provide an advantage since the opportunities are not always there.
If it did not provide an advantage then it prupply be harmful .
We are talking here about changes in the chemical structure of the gene !!!
It's usualy an extremely dangerous issue .
When we want to judge on any issue, we judge it from the general and not the exceptions .
Let's say there are 30 students in a class...
27 of them fall the final exam & 3 pass it ..
Would you consider it as a successful class ?
Of curse not ..
But That don't mean that there aren't any exceptions .
Quote:
I can imagine that out of a few thousand primates over a few thousand years it is not improbable that one had the mutation to take advantage. Note that chimps can walk or at least wade after a fashion. The capacity was already there. The species was lucky in having the mutation to enable one strain to walk far enough to be able to find new forage and survive.
Now I take your point that I am making suggestions rather than stating fact, but don't run off with the idea that it is all fantasy. There is hard evidence for bipedalism being developed in primates. Speculation about how mutations contributed to that is does not alter that hard evidence that somehow it did.
Here we must apply the ratios and possibilities & that will not be in the interest of the theory ...
I want to tell you something ...
If the occurrence of mutations are something that happen frequently and permanently then that would have been absorbed and completely understood ,Added another peoblem to it which rarely produces good qualities .
You can not build a successful process based on rare random incidents .
Mathematically it will be a failure on all common standards .
Quote:
It seems to me that this idea you have that success cannot come out of a majority of failures is unsupportable. In fact, when you think of it, in many areas of progress, out of thousands of unsuccessful attempts, it only takes one to become the pattern of success.
Bear in mind that there is so much evidence in support of evolution having happened, that natural selection is the mechanism and that genetic mutation the means to make it work, that it is simply perverse to reject all that on the basis of what details are not yet known or can only be surmised since we can't go back in time and see for ourselves.
Agree ...but only if if we are talking about a progress that only need limited opportunities to achieve success not something requires repetition and precision .
Let me put it this way :
If a company name "evolution" wants to open a new section calls "mutation" in order to help for the "emergence of new species" then the department of the feasibility study would rejects the new project because it will be a failure in practice & under the available data .
(Random ,Rare,Accidental ,Not guaranteed to produce advantage).
Of curse it may succeed but not deliberately .
I hope you understand my point here .
Take care

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 03-31-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM

50,131 posts, read 20,894,600 times
Ok, you are asking some serious questions. I shall have to check up on the frequency of mutations. From what i gathered, 'not that rare' is the correct term to use because they are not as frequent as other physiological effects, but it be false to claim they are so rare that after tens of thousands of years in tens of thousands of individuals, a useful mutation could not occur.

As for harmful mutations, anything that doesn't aid the survival of the individual and the species is wastage. It does not continue and becomes bred out, in effect.

As to a company not investing in this process, that suggests that it isn't carried out by anyone who can add up. Evolution does not case about efficiency studies. If it takes ten thosand years and ten thousand individuals to make a 1% step (that is all that Dawkins calculated would be needed to evolve the eye in ..what.. 29 generations, wasn't it? Don't be tempted to pass on your preferences to nature. It does what it does, efficient or not.

I will try to find out exactly how mutations work though I might hope that Rifleman might bring his expertise to bear, but this does seem to be just asking a few clarifying questions about a process that should have been shown now to be feasible, workable and in total accord with the evidence.

some popcorn and an ice- cream later...

This is an overview of how mutations work, how frequent they are and how they adapt organisms beneficially.The information comes from many sources, so I would prefer not to give links - the same sort of information can be found on several sites.

A mutation is a permanent change in the DNA sequence of a gene. Mutations in a gene's DNA sequence can alter the amino acid sequence of the protein encoded by the gene.

How does this happen? Like words in a sentence, the DNA sequence of each gene determines the amino acid sequence for the protein it encodes. The DNA sequence is interpreted in groups of three nucleotide bases, called codons. Each codon specifies a single amino acid in a protein.

A mutation is a permanent change in the DNA sequence of a gene. Sometimes mutations in DNA can cause changes in the way a cell behaves. This is because genes contain the instructions necessary for a cell to work. If some of the instructions to the cell are wrong, then the cell may not know what it is supposed to do!

There are two ways in which DNA can become mutated:

Mutations can be inherited. This means that if a parent has a mutation in his or her DNA, then the mutation is passed on to his or her children.
Mutations can be acquired. This happens when environmental agents damage DNA, or when mistakes occur when a cell copies its DNA prior to cell division.

Most of the mutations that we think matter to evolution are "naturally-occurring." For example, when a cell divides, it makes a copy of its DNA — and sometimes the copy is not quite perfect. That small difference from the original DNA sequence is a mutation.
Mutations are changes in the genetic code, which leads to change in the population. Individual mutations are meaningless, but population mutations usually have more profound effects. As said above, most mutations are negative; however, those mutations that have no harmful effect either lead to evolutive changes on the population or remain dormant on the genome.

For example, the sickle cell gene is an example of a mutation that can be both positive and/or negative. People in Africa that have one copy of the sickle cell mutation, do not die of Malaria, yet if they have two copies they die of sicke cell anemia.

Mutations can be beneficial, neutral, or harmful for the organism, but mutations do not "try" to supply what the organism "needs." Factors in the environment may influence the rate of mutation but are not generally thought to influence the direction of mutation. For example, exposure to harmful chemicals may increase the mutation rate, but will not cause more mutations that make the organism resistant to those chemicals. In this respect, mutations are random — whether a particular mutation happens or not is unrelated to how useful that mutation would be.
For example, in the U.S. where people have access to shampoos with chemicals that kill lice, we have a lot of lice that are resistant to those chemicals. They have evolved a resistance. This is why we have a constant drugs race with resistant strains of disease. Nobody says it's nice, but it is a fact.

People use warfarin to kill rats
Most of the rats die, but some don't because of a mutation - a change in the genetic code
A mutation in the rat's sex cells makes its offspring resistant to Warfarin.
The offspring survive and have their own offspring
Mutated gene is passed on and is common in the rat population
This is natural selection in action.

How does the mutation happen, how can it actually become resistant to the warfarin? How do the chromosones know how to become resistant?

Most likely the mutation occurs during DNA replication. As the DNA replicates the DNA polymerase goes along the strand of DNA and adds in the corresponding bases to opposite strand (A to T C to G) It is possible that the DNA polymerase makes a mistake and attache the wrong base. This can cause a new mutation. It is possible that this mutation could make a rat resistant to a particular poison. This rat will survive, and pass the mutation onto its offspring. who will also be resistant. eventually only those with the mutation will survive and the entire population will become resistant.

How often do they occur? Well, apparently they mutations occur all the time, with every DNA replication, The question is, how likely is it that a mutation will turn up just handily to take advantage of an ecological niche?

Replication occurs simultaneously at multiple places along a DNA strand.

Because human DNA is so very long (with up to 80 million base pairs in a chromosome) it unzips at multiple places along its length so that the replication process is going on simultaneously at hundreds of places along the length of the chain. Eventually these areas run together to form a complete chain. In humans, DNA is copied at about 50 base pairs per second. The process would take a month (rather than the hour it actually does) without these multiple places on the chromosome where replication can begin.

There are estimated 50 million or 50 trillion bits of DNA in the human body. It would seem to me that this is not so much a chance mutation coinciding with just the opportunity it needs (which I agree would look statistically improbable) but more like a board with a microscopic hole in being bomdarded every day of a hunded centuries by radiated particles. It would be statistically improbable that one would not go through the gap and probably impossible that, out of a thousand readiating sources, not one particle would hit in the right place.

Since all cells in our body contain DNA, there are lots of places for mutations to occur; however, some mutations cannot be passed on to offspring and do not matter for evolution. e.g The effects of mutations on an apple with a somatic mutation

Somatic mutations occur in non-reproductive cells and won't be passed onto offspring. For example, the golden color on half of this Red Delicious apple was caused by a somatic mutation. Its seeds will not carry the mutation.

The only mutations that matter to large-scale evolution are those that can be passed on to offspring. These occur in reproductive cells like eggs and sperm and are called germ line mutations.

Effects of germ line mutations
A single germ line mutation can have a range of effects: A single mutation caused this cat's ears to curl backwards slightly, or snake to have a more advantageous camouflage.

No change occurs in phenotype.
Some mutations don't have any noticeable effect on the phenotype of an organism. This can happen in many situations: perhaps the mutation occurs in a stretch of DNA with no function, or perhaps the mutation occurs in a protein-coding region, but ends up not affecting the amino acid sequence of the protein.

Small change occurs in phenotype.
A single mutation caused this cat's ears to curl backwards slightly.

Big change occurs in phenotype.
Some really important phenotypic changes, like DDT resistance in insects are sometimes caused by single mutations. A single mutation can also have strong negative effects for the organism. Mutations that cause the death of an organism are called lethals — and it doesn't get more negative than that. (Since this is a big quote, I give the source)

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolib...0/mutations_05

There are some objections "Mutations are actually an enemy of evolution."
http://www.creationdefense.org/06.htm

Another problem is mathematical; mutations are very rare. They occur only once in every ten million replications. The chance of two related mutations occurring is one in 100 trillion; given the abundance of genes in living organisms, however, mutations can and do occur. Even so, most mutations are harmful, leading to death of the organism before birth or a loss of a specific function. Only one in 1000 are not harmful and most of those are neutral, having no effect on the organism. Certainly this is why mutations are to be avoided. Mutagenic radiation and chemicals are avoided, not embraced.

This appears to be correct but is overlooking the sheer quantity of mutations going on all the time. Big changes as in radiation are best avoided - but they are not the natural mutation method and that particular point is irrelevant.

Yet, another problem for mutations is that much of what is called mutation is actually genetic variance. It was once believed that flies resistant to DDT were mutants. Considering the impossibility of mutations mathematically, they looked for another explanation

I have seen nothing about this mathematical impossibility other than amongst those who wish to discredit evolution theory. It does not seem that the mathematical objection really stands up.

mutations are never seen to produce a new species in the laboratory.

This is asking too much. The steps taken to produce a significant change in an organism are surprisingly quick. 100,000 years in primates, a lot faster in fruit -flies, but even then, this 'micro evolution' change (which is accepted by some creationists, apparently) is within a single species. For the changes to become so large (as in the Cetan sequence of fossils ) as to be undeniably a different species, we would have wait a long time (Ambulocetus natans, which lived about 49 million years ago took around a aurprisingy short ten million years or so to the Basilosaurids of the late Eocene around 41 to 35 million years ago. That's still a long time for the creationists to wait to see what they would accept as a species change.) so it's unreasonable to expect it to occur within our history, let alone our lifetime (though having cats turn into dogs in the laboratory would prove nothing to me, let alone to a creationist.

Evolution requires a net increase in the quantity and quality of genetic information....The problem is that mutations ordinarily cause a loss of information, sometimes a transfer of information, but never an increase of information. Thus, mutations go the wrong way, because evolution requires limitless genetic expansion. Instead of an explanation for origin of life, mutations are actually an explanation of the origin of death and disease.

As explained above, this 'wrong way' idea is quite false. the development of resistance to disease, poisons or improvement in hearing apparatus is beneficial to the organism and is adding information. But isn't it true that it can't be added?

"Creationists get by with this claim only by leaving the term "information" undefined, impossibly vague, or constantly shifting. By any reasonable definition, increases in information have been observed to evolve. We have observed the evolution of

increased genetic variety in a population (Lenski 1995; Lenski et al. 1991)
increased genetic material (Alves et al. 2001; Brown et al. 1998; Hughes and Friedman 2003; Lynch and Conery 2000; Ohta 2003)
novel genetic material (Knox et al. 1996; Park et al. 1996)
novel genetically-regulated abilities (Prijambada et al. 1995)"

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB102.html

It is misleading - one might say deceitful if one did suppose that they really knew no better- to make this 'information cannot be added' claim.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-31-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality