Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 01:05 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Christ was dead at 33 it is good to contemplate what it means to be a true believer certainly not those posting on a workday at 7 am
So many non sequiturs in one sentence!?

"Christ was dead at 33" ...so anyone over 33 is living on borrowed time.... or???
"It is good to contemplate what it means to be a true believer"... because.....???
"Certainly not those posting on a workday at 7am" ...because true believers should be eating breakfast or stuck in traffic by that time.... or true believers can't live in another time zone.... or true believers can't be early risers... or true believers can't work from home.... or true believers never retire... or???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 02:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Christ was dead at 33 it is good to contemplate what it means to be a true believer certainly not those posting on a workday at 7 am
Only the good die young?
don't listen to people that don't have jobs? Or something else meaningful to do?

although you did get a bunch of responses.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:24 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
I absolutely agree that people reject God because they want to do what they want- with no restrictions. We see the result in todays America. People are okay hearing about Gods love, forgiveness, and eternal life. Mention repenting, sin and judgement however, and they get hostile. We reap what we sow- individually, and collectively. People want no accountability or personal responsibility- let's get rid of police! Barring a country wide revival, America is done.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:58 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I absolutely agree that people reject God because they want to do what they want- with no restrictions. We see the result in todays America. People are okay hearing about Gods love, forgiveness, and eternal life. Mention repenting, sin and judgement however, and they get hostile. We reap what we sow- individually, and collectively. People want no accountability or personal responsibility- let's get rid of police! Barring a country wide revival, America is done.
But the OP is about those who do not believe in your god, not those who reject it (which would be another group).

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 07-09-2020 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-09-2020, 08:36 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Another diatribe on modern society.

Yesteryear? It was wonderful because there were more believers! It was also a time of slavery. Of genocide against indigenous people. Much higher poverty rates, especially among the elderly, due to the lack of a social safety net. Child labor? Common and frequently very dangerous. Marital rape? It wasn't a thing, legally, because marriage granted a man the legal right to take what he wanted sexually from his wife. Voting? Ha! Only for the select few. Oh, and there were few to no police, depending on the precise time and place - LEOs being a relatively recent societal development.

But, please, continue with your rant on the 'good old days'...

Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
You make a sweeping statement that is, at best, an answer as to why some people reject god.

There's also the people like me, who just stopped believing. If the belief isn't there, it isn't there. And, as I steadily began moving away from christianity beginning back in 1986, I would say that I became a better person.

Even if there is a god, it is not the only source of accountability and personal responsibility.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
not, thats not true for most atheist. most atheist don't believe some of the traits you give your god match what we see.

when you god claims match what we know about the universe, ten you will be more believable.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:41 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

Yesteryear? It was wonderful because there were more believers! It was also a time of slavery. Of genocide against indigenous people. Much higher poverty rates, especially among the elderly, due to the lack of a social safety net. Child labor? Common and frequently very dangerous. Marital rape? It wasn't a thing, legally, because marriage granted a man the legal right to take what he wanted sexually from his wife. Voting? Ha! Only for the select few. Oh, and there were few to no police, depending on the precise time and place - LEOs being a relatively recent societal development.

KaBoom!

Old 07-09-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

I gosta to admit ... good points.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
I would just as soon not hear about God's live, forgiveness or eternal life. Coming as religious meme and not actual actions they are meaningless. Foregiveness is a great thing as are love, emphathy, kindness and help. Not needed to be given by an unseen or unknown entity for people to practice in copious amounts.

I'll gladly take 100% responsibility for my actions and words however I also expect that I or my parents receive the acknowledgements if those deeds not some unproven entity. And no I never would expect George Floyd to be able to hold his breath for ever and the people responsible for his death be held responsible.

N9ne of you posters claiming that people who don't believe in a God have been able to state what I want to do that a Dodge wouldn't want other than not believing in him. Rape, no thanks that's wrong. Murder, theft or child abuse? Not really into those things. Supporting equality, fairness, the arts and the environment? Guess those are things the religious right don't support but doesn't their God?

So

Bryan just what am I doing that God finds immoral? Other than not believing in sufficient evidence for him or her. Not sitting in a synagogue every Saturday, bet you don't either?

After losing the war to Japan in 1905 Russians turned to pogroms against the Jews as scapegoats for that lost. Today not only not addressing the serious problems in their society and in effect making those problems even worse for so many, Americans seem eager to find scapegoats for those problems so that they don't need to address them is not accepting responsibility. Scapegoats such as atheists, gays, Muslims, blm, Asian, liberals, the list goes on.

Your problems are not God's fault ot the fault of folks not believing in him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality