Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Seeing has multiple meanings.
Like what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
No, you would be considered a heathen.
But would he be angry at god or not? That is, the Christian god..

Obviously he wouldn't be angry at Brahma or Vishnu. I presume Christians would be, however - since they don't believe in those gods.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM

105 posts, read 202,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
No, you would be considered a heathen.
Thank you. Learned something new today. Heathen is a new word for me.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Sometimes..they just don't want to play by the rules...atheist wives can make foolish mistakes that bring hardship...sometimes people in this modern world do not believe because they think it makes them or sophisticated and progressive...it's arrogance.
Arrogance?...You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards, witches, demons,
sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky,
people walking on water, and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive
stories, and you say that WE are the ones that need help?
Mark Twain

Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 PM

105 posts, read 202,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post

Obviously he wouldn't be angry at Brahma or Vishnu. I presume Christians would be, however - since they don't believe in those gods.

Why would I be angry at any god? Why would I lose my peace of mind by being mad at things that doesn't exist?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 PM

434 posts, read 684,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Seeing has multiple meanings.
Sure, a person can say "Ah, now I see" but what he/she might really mean is that he/she understands.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Sometimes..they just don't want to play by the rules...atheist wives can make foolish mistakes that bring hardship...sometimes people in this modern world do not believe because they think it makes them or sophisticated and progressive...it's arrogance.
Atheists arrogant? Hmm...

Arrogant atheists and not collecting stamps: Michael Nugent at World Atheist Convention Dublin - YouTube

Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM

434 posts, read 684,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post

As I said before, he/she can't be angry at something he/she doesn't believe exists.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 PM

98 posts, read 147,327 times
Well, I am raising the fourth generation of atheists in our family and I can't think of one thing that we wouldn't be able to do if we were believers. We live with morals, we follow the law, we respect our neighbors, we volunteer, we give to charities. So what, exactly, do I want to do that I wouldn't be allowed to do if my family believed in god?

How can we be angry with something that doesn't exist? Our fourth generation is slowly becoming adults and we have just welcomed the first installment of the fifth generation. Out of all of us, more than 100, not one has been in jail, hooked on drugs, an alcoholic, etc. We are just ordinary people leading ordinary lives...with no need of a god in order to do so.

So I'll ask again, what, exactly, are we able to do that believers are not? What exactly are we arrogant about or rebelling against? Because I'm just not seeing it and I would appreciate it if the people here who proport to know what we think and feel would enlighten me.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One time I put this question to the pastor of my church, 'If the Bible is so convincing, why are there so many who do not believe?'

This may sound familiar, but he said quite confidently it was because because they wanted to do what they wanted and they didn't want any God telling them what they could and could not do. .
LOL! I live a much more christian life than most christians I know, and I am NOT christian.
Some of us are good because being a good, decent person is just the right thing to do...we don't need to be sheepled or threatened into it.

Too funny.

Of course he said that. His job is to propaganda your ass into church as often as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality