Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 AM

570 posts, read 733,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
orogenicman
People believe what they want to believe. She believed she would be hurt if she didn't pay, and so became despondant and depressed (you can't just have a blood test done for depression, dude). When her father sent the money, she found out (and deny it all you want, but my money is on her knowing this happened) and was happy about it. Personally, I think the father should have reported the extortion to the police.
You don't seem to understand
It was my father not her father ..
She didn't know about the threat because her brother didn't call her ...
She didn't became despondant and depressed unless you consider losing sense of time & place in 2 days could be the result of disappointment and depression .
Let alone some other really weird behaviors .
Quote:
Why ask me? I posted the link to the original article from where I read the story. If you need additional sources, I suggest you use a search engine. Google, for instance.
So your duty is limited only for finding our mistakes regardless of the original source !!
Got it
Just wondering !!
Why you post such topics ?
I mean what is the purpose of it ?!!!
Quote:
The person who is accused of being a witch, and is being threatened with beheading is not the victim here?

What about the little girl ?
As for the Sri Lankan women if she is innocent then she has nothing to be afraid of .
She can then sue the father on defamation and she Will be given the appropriate compensation .
She will even return home on the expense of the government .
Yes we have some issues that may seem strange to you, but justice take its course at the end .
Our justice does not rely on who pays more money & has a big time attorney in order to wine the case regardless of the implementation of justice .
Before looking for faults and Mistakes of the others you should start with your own contry .
There are thousand of people who were treated like dirt and held for hours in the airports just because they are Muslims .
Why dont you speak of that & post topics about it ?
Or your conscience is limited to certain nationalities and races ?!!!
Do not try to portrayed us as monsters with such story and forget your racism scandals that happen every single day .
A lot of Western governments are disgrace on humanity and that stigma attached to some people who turn a blind eye for those scandals and only looking for others individual mistakes .
Quote:
You'd have to be a social retard to believe in witchcraft in the first place,

For your social community not mine !!
In your community we see that changing partners (girlfriends , boyfriends ) permanently is a closer behavior to animals but you see it as an ordinary behavior .
You believe in it we don't .
We believe in witchcraft you don't but not that we becomes obsessed with it to the point that we think it always happens .
No ,This is something rarely happens .

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 04-23-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
The high ranking Saudi leadership are educated and know there is no such thing as witch craft..but the let the lower classes believe in it. What a nasty government..that depends on ignorance and superstition to stay in power. Such is the power of Islam...a submission to foolishness...no wonder they have an endless supply of suicide bombers and terrorists - keep the people stupid and they will do your dirty work...much like America that does not educate their poor...to make sure they have an endless supply of military enforcers.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
As for the Sri Lankan women if she is innocent then she has nothing to be afraid of .
One of the more fascinating comments in this thread. Are you seriously suggesting that a witchcraft trial is necessary?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
But then this all sprouts from that age-old question: do concepts like Good and Evil exist outside of human imagination?

"WHO and WHAT determines ethical standards"
I think one of the main issues in such discourse is that so many people want / need morality to be some kind of external thing which we can discover objectively and definitively find things to be "right" or "wrong". When they think something is "wrong" they very much want that to be more than just their own opinion. They want it to actually BE wrong. People go to great length... including inventing gods who almost always just happen to hold the same moral code as they do... in order to achieve it.

Yet despite this need I have yet to see a single shred of any evidence for such an external morality. Essentially morality appears to be just as subjective as ones taste in food.

Obviously taste in food is constrained by aspects of the human condition however. The vast majority of us respond positively to sweet things and so sugar water beverages from Fanta to Coca Cola are massively popular because their attributes are such that aspects of the human condition positively bias us towards liking them. Contrast that to Brussel Sprouts however where opinion on their status as a delicacy is massively divided. So while taste in food is subjective... it is not subjective to the point of being entirely baseless and random either. We get a continuum with mass consensus on some food stuffs and entirely divergent opinion on others.

Morality is much the same. There are aspects of the human condition that lead us to mass consensus on many moral issues. Few of us want our loved ones harmed or killed and therefore our morality reflects this with mass consensus as we call violence and murder "wrong". Yet not all morality tends towards mass consensus... especially when the moral position in question is not so constrained by the human condition. One need only look at how divided opinions on homosexuality and abortion are to see the Brussel Sprouts in that analogy. Again it is a continuum.

So who essentially should be deciding what is right and wrong? We all should be... democratically and together as a species. Morality is... after all... for the most part related to how we as people live and act with other people. If much of morality is essentially related to each other then "each other" will always be the best resource we have for answering moral questions. Just like in a relationship there is no "right" way to be. The couple itself decide how their relationship will work. Society is just like a relationship in this regard. We need to decide together how the relationship will work.

I doubt a "perfect" standard will ever be achieved no matter how enlightened our species becomes but we can at least hope that we will continue a trend towards such a standard.... and I imagine executing people for displaying powers no one actually has.... condemning two hearts for loving each other simply because those two hearts send blood to the same sexual organ type.... jailing people for blasphemy... or watching ones own beloved children die from easy to treat illnesses because such treatments are an affront to god.... or selling "treatments" to people at high prices that are essentially just water and nothing else.... are all not likely to be in it.

I wrote more on this here if you are interested.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
But...but...my crops! They didn't just ruin themselves!

But seriously - Mystic, I see what you're saying, and I do agree with you on much of what you are saying, but the question was (and still is): WHO determines what are miminum standards of humaneness, and who enforces such standards? You can say that "anything that physically harms or endangers the life of another human being who has not and does not pose a similar harm to anyone - is simply not acceptable" and I may agree with you 100%, but who determines that such a statement should guide an ethical code? Where does the idea come from?
It is a minimum standard that relies on the universal human desire to avoid being harmed. John Stuart Mill ensconced it in his "harm principle" . . . but it has deeper roots in the Pagan rede ""An it harm none, do as ye will" (ironically part of the practice of witchcraft). Whatever else we might find to argue about or dispute . . . this minimum standard must be honored (and enforced if possible). Cultural ignorance, superstition and barbarity are no excuse in a civilized world. As a corollary, the harm must be real . . . not imagined . . . and the cause must be substantiated.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:

Before looking for faults and Mistakes of the others you should start with your own contry .
There are thousand of people who were treated like dirt and held for hours in the airports just because they are Muslims .
Why dont you speak of that & post topics about it ?
Or your conscience is limited to certain nationalities and races ?!!!
Do not try to portrayed us as monsters with such story and forget your racism scandals that happen every single day .
A lot of Western governments are disgrace on humanity and that stigma attached to some people who turn a blind eye for those scandals and only looking for others individual mistakes .

For your social community not mine !!
In your community we see that changing partners (girlfriends , boyfriends ) permanently is a closer behavior to animals but you see it as an ordinary behavior .
You believe in it we don't .
We believe in witchcraft you don't but not that we becomes obsessed with it to the point that we think it always happens .
No ,This is something rarely happens .

squall-lionheart, I am going to come in here and make a few comments as a Native American and a Minority in this country. First off, I fine your line of comments to be insulting. You have no idea what really goes on in this country and you cannot speak of it because you have not lived here, you can only speak of the hearsay that you get from others about this country and the same is true for myself, I can only speak of what I read and hear from others about your country and if what I have read on this particular incident, is true, then I think that you are a country of backwards thinking laws and religion. You have a country where your religion is your laws, we have a country where our religion and our laws are separate from one another and we do not believe it is right to enforce the antiquated beliefs of our religions on others who do not believe the same. You invite people of other nationalities into your country to work for you and pay them a menial wage and expect them to believe in your religion, that right there is not fair to them, you're denying them the right to their religion. You want to criticize our government and that's fine, we criticize our government all the time because we have that right, but I wonder, how much foreign aid has your government accepted from ours, your quick to criticize us and our lifestyles, but you're just as quick to take our money, maybe you should be criticizing your own government and your own laws before you go criticizing others.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sadly not everyone agress with what is and isn't decent.
Fortunately, the laws of most western countries do agree with regard to superstitions such as witchcraft. And I think it is hi time that all countries put an end to the codifying superstitions as criminal offenses.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Fortunately, the laws of most western countries do agree with regard to superstitions such as witchcraft. And I think it is hi time that all countries put an end to the codifying superstitions as criminal offenses.
Amen. Ignorance is not culture.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
You don't seem to understand
It was my father not her father ..
She didn't know about the threat because her brother didn't call her ...
She didn't became despondant and depressed unless you consider losing sense of time & place in 2 days could be the result of disappointment and depression .
Let alone some other really weird behaviors .
Someone else could have told her. There are rumour mills in every family. And unless you are a psychiatrist, you cannot say what her state of mind was. I suggested that she was depressed and despondant because her behavior as described by you suggests that she was.

Quote:
So your duty is limited only for finding our mistakes regardless of the original source !!
Quote:
Got it
Just wondering !!
Why you post such topics ?
I mean what is the purpose of it ?!!!

My purpose was to highlight the plight of women who are victimized by stupid laws based on superstition and mythology.

Quote:
What about the little girl ?

Erm, what?

Quote:

So it's guilty until proven innocent, is it? How friggin stupid is that???

Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 AM

570 posts, read 733,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
squall-lionheart, I am going to come in here and make a few comments as a Native American and a Minority in this country. First off, I fine your line of comments to be insulting. You have no idea what really goes on in this country and you cannot speak of it because you have not lived here, you can only speak of the hearsay that you get from others about this country and the same is true for myself, I can only speak of what I read and hear from others about your country and if what I have read on this particular incident, is true, then I think that you are a country of backwards thinking laws and religion. You have a country where your religion is your laws, we have a country where our religion and our laws are separate from one another and we do not believe it is right to enforce the antiquated beliefs of our religions on others who do not believe the same. You invite people of other nationalities into your country to work for you and pay them a menial wage and expect them to believe in your religion, that right there is not fair to them, you're denying them the right to their religion. You want to criticize our government and that's fine, we criticize our government all the time because we have that right, but I wonder, how much foreign aid has your government accepted from ours, your quick to criticize us and our lifestyles, but you're just as quick to take our money, maybe you should be criticizing your own government and your own laws before you go criticizing others.
Hi ...
I didn't want to criticize your lifestyles or even your government .
I have to be honest, I couldn't care less .
Your life style does not suit us, and vice versa .
My response was based on "To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction ".
I didn't start anything here .
I apologize if my reply offended anyone .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality