Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Scientology be outlawed?
Yes! 18 25.71%
NO! 52 74.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...they don't wanna go there, which is why they'll avoid that topic til the cows come home.

I'm astounded at how they can so easily rip Hubbard and Scientology and smile at the sight of Joel Osteen, the Pope, or the leader of the Mormon Church. SMH
These sorts con artists don't thrive in Europe. The Churches there are much more reserved, and you don't here the political rhetoric there as you do from evangelicals here in the US.

America's social conservatives are some of the most ignorant people in the World.

Europeans believe they can take these matters on in a case by case basis and prosecute the cults when needed. I believe that precedent leads to abuse by government in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Every other whackadoodle cult would have to be outlawed as well.
Hmmmmm.....
We should get started on a list... that will make for a long one.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But you'd have some people that would suggest the same thing about ANY religion, there lies the problem.
Scientology has no theological basis, it is nothing more than the ramblings of a pulp fiction writer, whats more it is quite a nasty little cult as BBC Investigative Reporter John Sweeney famously found out.

BBC News - Panorama - John Sweeney revisits the Church of Scientology

I am not a religous person in the least, and I don't generally care about religions, but this isn't even a religion, it's not based on anything apart from the ra,blings of a fat guy who went round the world in a fleet of luxury boats he acquired from the proceeds of ripping people off.

What's more Scientology encourages mentally ill people not to take medication, something that is at odds with UK laws in relation to certain individuals.

There have been numerous documentaries about this secret cult like organisation, and the fact that it splits families and leads to such heart ache and misery whilst lining it's own pockets is all very sad.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
We should get started on a list... that will make for a long one.
So true!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
Scientology has no theological basis, it is nothing more than the ramblings of a pulp fiction writer, whats more it is quite a nasty little cult as BBC Investigative Reporter John Sweeney famously found out.
Yes I understand your opinion on Scientology, not disagreeing with and I'm not agreeing with it either. It's besides the point becsue it's your opinion and not necessarily the opinions of others.

For example Einstein suggested we start a list, everyone's list is going to be different. Who decides what is a scam and what is legitimate religion? You? Me? Other established religions?

You're opening a can of worms that is far to susceptible to abuse from both the non-religious and religious folks as well. As long as the religion is within the laws of this countries that apply to everyone that should be good enough.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes I understand your opinion on Scientology, not disagreeing with and I'm not agreeing with it either. It's besides the point becsue it's your opinion and not necessarily the opinions of others.

For example Einstein suggested we start a list, everyone's list is going to be different. Who decides what is a scam and what is legitimate religion? You? Me? Other established religions?

You're opening a can of worms that is far to susceptible to abuse from both the non-religious and religious folks as well. As long as the religion is within the laws of this countries that apply to everyone that should be good enough.
LOL - good luck with that list as there are over 25,000 Christian Religions alone.

In terms of the Britain, The Cult Information Centre which has a dedicated help line claims there are over 500 such groups operating in the UK.

In 2000 the French passed a law making 'mental manipulation" of an individual a criminal offence, soon after a Royal Commission in Britain suggested we did the same.

A 'mental minipulation' law would probably be a sensible way to deal with some of the tactics used by such groups, as long as it was vigorously enforced.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
LOL - good luck with that list as there are over 25,000 Christian Religions alone.
Cults tend to be that fragmented. Christianity will be a good start?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Cults tend to be that fragmented. Christianity will be a good start?
If the 500 groups identified by the Cult Information Centre include Christian Groups then so be it. As far as I am concerned extreme mental manipulation bordering on brain washing should not be allowed and the French have the right attitude and indeed laws.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Anything that Tom Cruise is associated with should be banned I mean just look how he turned a hot babe into blithering whatever. Katie Holmes * sheds a tear *

Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I wonder if the Anglican Church is on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality