Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
I get the impression that what bothers you the most is the fact that you can't "sort" spiritual people into your little boxes of preconceived notions and stereotypes
No, it's just that it's currently THE thing to say. Never heard it before 1995 or 2000. Prior to that, people who believed in a greater power but did not have it all worked out said "I'm agnostic." I don't bristle at "agnostic," because there is an honesty about it.

It's kind of like some words pertain to certain eras - "biotchen" was 70-ish and "awesome" was more 80-ish/90-ish, though it continues today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, it's just that it's currently THE thing to say. Never heard it before 1995 or 2000. Prior to that, people who believed in a greater power but did not have it all worked out said "I'm agnostic." I don't bristle at "agnostic," because there is an honesty about it.

It's kind of like some words pertain to certain eras - "biotchen" was 70-ish and "awesome" was more 80-ish/90-ish, though it continues today.
Ptsum explained to you the difference between a religious follower and a spiritual person beautifully. Sometimes a person is spiritual and in a religion but not always. Sometimes a religious person is not spiritual, they just follow the rules.

It's not about being "trendy" but no one expects you to understand that.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
When did it become popular to answer the question of religious affiliation with "I'm spiritual?" That's another great catch-all trite phrase which means absolutely nothing. Seriously, is there a baseline for even pulling this answer apart? When I get that answer, my thought is "this is someone I can't even relate to."

The other "goodies:" a lot of the people that call themselves "spiritual" seem to like Eastern thought and philosophy, yet they don't practice any of the religions of the Eastern world. Those religions have temples that people belong to, just like neighborhood churches, in their respective neighborhoods in a city. The people I see filing into these places are all ethnic. Are these "spiritual" people Richard Gere-wannabees?

Does someone want to take a crack at this one?
Well the answer to the question in the first sentence of this paragraph, which I suspect is not REALLY a question but a lead-in device to say what you wanted to say in the second sentence, is "during the Oprah years".

Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:

But when I say "I'm spiritual" I am being honest. It's not that "I don't have it figured out". I'm not agnostic. I believe in God--and I'm sure of it. I believe in the spiritual realm. That makes me "spiritual".

Old 05-12-2012, 03:15 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
But when I say "I'm spiritual" I am being honest. It's not that "I don't have it figured out". I'm not agnostic. I believe in God--and I'm sure of it. I believe in the spiritual realm. That makes me "spiritual".
That's where the term came into use, I guess. People needed something to describe that, instead of "I'm not religious, but..."

And it's hardly trendy. I wasn't kidding when I said the term became popular during the Oprah years, because that's when most people first heard it, but we're talking a term that's been in common use for a couple of decades now. Hardly trendy.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Not only that, but can anyone, especially robertpolyglot (who seems to take such issue with the term) suggest any other terminology? How else would I describe the fact that I:

1. Believe in God as the highest vibration of love (not an anthropomorphic model).
2. Believe in energy, spirits, spirit guides, the spiritual dimension, etc.
3. Do not believe in the Bible, Torah, Qur'an, or any other religious textbook.
4. Do not believe in Jesus, Abraham, Muhammad, Buddha, the Dao, Baha'ullah, etc.
5. Do not align myself with any organized religion--not even one centered around spirituality (such as when psychic mediums--who I am probably aligned with strongly in terms of beliefs--set up churches and give them a specific name).
6. Practice my sense of spirituality, both through personal rituals (that are really just about the intention and not the acts), and use it in everyday life.

What other term is there?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wasn't kidding when I said the term became popular during the Oprah years, because that's when most people first heard it, but we're talking a term that's been in common use for a couple of decades now.
Oprah's two contributions to society:
- the term spiritual
- the increased openness in talking about prior sexual abuse

Why doesn't she take some of her money and create some high-rises called the Winfrey Towers to house the cold, starving, and unsheltered people in Chicago. God knows she's got enough money to wipe her big a$$ with.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Not only that, but can anyone, especially robertpolyglot (who seems to take such issue with the term) suggest any other terminology? How else would I describe the fact that I:

1. Believe in God as the highest vibration of love (not an anthropomorphic model).
2. Believe in energy, spirits, spirit guides, the spiritual dimension, etc.
3. Do not believe in the Bible, Torah, Qur'an, or any other religious textbook.
4. Do not believe in Jesus, Abraham, Muhammad, Buddha, the Dao, Baha'ullah, etc.
5. Do not align myself with any organized religion--not even one centered around spirituality (such as when psychic mediums--who I am probably aligned with strongly in terms of beliefs--set up churches and give them a specific name).
6. Practice my sense of spirituality, both through personal rituals (that are really just about the intention and not the acts), and use it in everyday life.

What other term is there?
Just like you've elaborated. It can be distilled to "I believe in God, but not in organized religion."

Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Just like you've elaborated. It can be distilled to "I believe in God, but not in organized religion."
I believe in more than just God, though. If that were the case, I would just call myself "theist", or something more specific like "deist" or "pantheist". Some of these terms (like "theist") still have connotations of believing in an anthropomorphic God. I specifically believe in the spiritual realm, which is not included in any of the terms I just mentioned—expect, of course, "spiritual". To add to that, what do I fill out on forms and drop-down lists (which usually have a term like "spiritual" available but not the phrase "I believe in God but not organized religion")? Plus, why would I waste a whole phrase when I can convey the same concept in a word?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 PM

188 posts, read 304,487 times
Although technically not a religion, I believe in the strong anthropic principle so I guess you can call me a Panentheist.

Panentheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality