Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, long time, no post!

I thought of this forum last night as I watched a show on the Science Channel. It was about a new version of the Big Bang Theory - very interesting stuff.
String Theory + 11th dimension = M Theory.

The show is titled Parallel Universe. It will be aired again on September 23rd and October 18th.

Did anyone else catch it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 03:00 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Hey everyone, long time, no post!

I thought of this forum last night as I watched a show on the Science Channel. It was about a new version of the Big Bang Theory - very interesting stuff.
String Theory + 11th dimension = M Theory.

The show is titled Parallel Universe. It will be aired again on September 23rd and October 18th.

Did anyone else catch it?
Hey there mrsengle. Long time no see. I did see the show you mentioned a few weeks ago. It was very interesting, but seemed so complicated that even the narrator sounded somewhat befuddled by it. I could tell that the physicists who were explaining it understood it in great detail but it seemed a little over the top for the average watcher. I did understand the basic principles of it, but I think I need to watch it again to get a better grasp of it. There were several times when I had to get up during the show for various reasons so maybe I missed some important parts of it. Wikipedia has very little on it as well.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
Hey GCSTroop - good to see you too.

My husband and I were talking about the Big Bang Theory over the weekend. He said what bothered him most about it was that there was no real explanation of how, or what, caused it. It was too ironic that I came across the show, but I only caught the last 15 minutes of it. But we both sat down for the repeat. His understanding of physics is more advanced than mine, and he thought it was very interesting stuff - it made sense to him. I'm going to try to catch it again and take some notes so I can do my own research on it.

I thought it would be great material for more discussion - the kind we sometimes get into on this forum!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
After reading your post last night, I looked it up a little more in depth on Wikipedia and I think I have a slightly better understanding of it. I'd like to watch the TV show once more now that I have a slightly better grasp on the concept. Anyway, the Big Bang as one central piece of mass can seem befitting but the "M" theory seems to make much more sense. However, it is kind of funny because if we are only one "string" in the 11th dimension and there are many other "strings" it seems that when our string expanded it was still a sort of big bang or rapid expansion, no? Needless to say, it is a very interesting theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality