Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:20 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Interesting post, Fullback..

continued...Ok..now about the Augustan taxation, I don't know what Josephus has to say about it, but I have read a bit of history about Augustus and his taxation work as a consul and, after he defeated Anthony and became emperor, his reform of the taxation system and specifically making all the roman provinces kick in their whack for the running of the empire. Thus Luke's reference to the whole (Roman) world being taxed is fair enough - common knowledge in the Roman world.

But at that time it didn't apply to Judea which was a client kingdom, not a Roman province. That came later after Archelaus was deposed and Qurinus appointed to assess the populace for taxation. While one could say that was a belated application of the Augustan tax, Luke is a bit...glib, in relating the two and of course made it possible for inerrantists to argue that it was a secret tax carried out in Herodian judea.

I'm not sure what your point about travel is intended to show. People journeyed by cart, foot, donkey or horse and Jews visited Jerusalem regularly for festivals at the temple. Travel as such is not the issue - it is traveling to Bethlehem (someone posted that archaeology suggests the place was virtually a ruin at the time) dragging a nine-month - gone wife for no good reason - other than to get Jesus born in Bethlehem.

I can see why Luke thought the census provided the answer but he couldn't have known (nor could Theophilus, probably) that it wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,449 times
1And it came to pass in those days, there went forth a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world be enrolled -- }2this first enrollment came to pass before Cyrenius was governor of Syria -- }3and all were going to be enrolled, each to his proper city,

Augustus is known to have taken a census of Roman citizens at least three times, in 28 BC, 8 BC, and 14

Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 AM

I know thee not, old man: fall to thy prayers;
How ill white hairs become a fool and jester!
(King Henry IV pt2.)

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

Augustus is known to have taken a census of Roman citizens at least three times, in 28 BC, 8 BC, and 14
The operative words here are "Roman citizens'

Neither Joseph or Mary were Roman citizens so there would be no need for them to be registering in any of them.
Of course, the story had to have them registering, otherwise there was no reason for them to be in Bethlehem where the man-god could be born and thus fulfil the 'prophecy'.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by [granpa

Look...my response was a bit impolite I know, but the point is really covered in the earlier posts. The Augustan taxation is well known and so is the later census of Qurinus and none of that is the problem with Luke's nativity.

Just tossing in a reference to the Augustan taxation as though it validated the unworkable and contradictory nativities of Luke and Matthew is really ...well at this stage of the argument, it makes me headslap and burst into tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality