Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:41 AM

740 posts, read 2,014,221 times

Advertisements

[quote=gizmo980;1592073]I'm sorry, but how exactly does that answer why Atheists can marry? My best friend got married last year without a clergy member, not in a church/temple, and with no mention of God whatsoever... since they rejected God's "presence" in their marriage ceremony, do you consider it null? And yes, they are a man & woman.[quote]

It is a legal union. God ordained marriage. Man has changed it.

Quote:
If you don't think marriage has or should evolve, are you okay with being considered a man's property (if you're a married woman)?? I certainly am NOT, so thank goodness you're wrong about society not evolving... God and religion may remain constant, but the world is changing around them - like it or not.
If you mean a biblical version of a man's property wherein my husband is to love me as Christ loved the church? YES... YES... YES! And I am and do submit to my husband in all things Godly. IF my husband was not a child of God, I would still submit to him, but since I am to submit to Christ first and formost, I would not submit to anything that God would not approve of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In case I explained it poorly... Reform Judaism

"Throughout history, Jews have remained firmly rooted in Jewish tradition, even as we learned much from our encounters with other cultures. Nevertheless, since its earliest days, Reform Judaism has asserted that a Judaism frozen in time is an heirloom, not a living fountain. The great contribution of Reform Judaism is that it has enabled the Jewish people to introduce innovation while preserving tradition, to embrace diversity while asserting commonality, to affirm beliefs without rejecting those who doubt, and to bring faith to sacred texts without sacrificing critical scholarship."

Mt 15:3
He answered them, "And why do you transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?
Mt 15:6 -
So, for the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God.
Col 2:8 -
See to it that no one makes a prey of you by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
But that just doesn't make any sense. Why would a god condemn his or her people to a fiery torment because they indulged in the free will s/he gives them?

It's like if I own a kitten. Then I put some tuna on a plate. Then I tell the kitten (who obviously can't understand) that if it eats the tuna, I'll kill it. Well, we'll run it through a few translations first, from Russian back to English via Babelfish so it's truly garbled. Then, when the kitten finally eats the tuna, I chop its head off.

Weird, eh.

You have free will to go sit on a train track right? Is that good for you? I guess as long as a train is not coming it's ok. How about if God told you that if you sit on that train track you would die without Him? You really wanted to sit on the track... the first time you did it you didn't die... so... if it was something you wanted to do again you probably would... until one day.... times up and you are standing before God on the day of judgement. Would you even have to ask the reason why after he passed judgement? God gave us free will. To either choose Him or chose the god of this world. If you choose God, he has given you a guide. It is up to you whether you chose to follow it or not... Him or not. If you choose the god of this world, you don't have to follow the bible. You can just make it up as you go along.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by ibcwife
Quote:
Wow... that is amazing how God writes in His word in the OT about divorce. De 24:1 is just one vs. So, why would there be something about divorcement if marriage didn't exsist? Or if I could just say I was married, why couldn't I just say I was divorced? Why did they need to give a bill (legal document) of divorcement?
Because when they first came up with these rules they couldn’t write yet? So in the beginning people could proclaim that they were married or divorced. But when the bible was eventually written a bill was needed because they could (obviously) write now.

Quote:
If you mean a biblical version of a man's property wherein my husband is to love me as Christ loved the church? YES... YES... YES! And I am and do submit to my husband in all things Godly. IF my husband was not a child of God, I would still submit to him, but since I am to submit to Christ first and formost, I would not submit to anything that God would not approve of.
So if a wife doesn’t want to have children, her husband (whether he is Christian or not) can just rape her because God commanded man to go forth and multiply?

Quote:
If you choose God, he has given you a guide. It is up to you whether you chose to follow it or not... Him or not.
When you believe in an afterlife you have no free choice. You either do what God tells you to do or you'll end up in hell for all eternity.
Not much of a choice here.
It would be the same as having a gun pointed at me while the robber asks me politely to donate him all the money that I have on me. He also tells me that I have a choice not to give him my money, but then he will kill me and take it anyway.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Mt 15:3
He answered them, "And why do you transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition?
Mt 15:6 -
So, for the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God.
Col 2:8 -
See to it that no one makes a prey of you by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ.
Yes, those are YOUR beliefs, just as I shared MINE... what exactly is your point?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
It is a legal union. God ordained marriage. Man has changed it.
So how does that differ from the arguments about gay marriages? Or do you also not support marriage for Atheists?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
You have free will to go sit on a train track right? Is that good for you? I guess as long as a train is not coming it's ok. How about if God told you that if you sit on that train track you would die without Him? You really wanted to sit on the track... the first time you did it you didn't die... so... if it was something you wanted to do again you probably would... until one day.... times up and you are standing before God on the day of judgement. Would you even have to ask the reason why after he passed judgement? God gave us free will. To either choose Him or chose the god of this world. If you choose God, he has given you a guide. It is up to you whether you chose to follow it or not... Him or not. If you choose the god of this world, you don't have to follow the bible. You can just make it up as you go along.
Since we can't physically see God and must grasp His very existance by faith alone, how is it really a "choice" if someone simply doesn't believe He exists?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I just feel compelled to say that his is one of the best posts I have ever seen in these forums! And I feel compelled to ask my fellow Christians...what say you to the very, VERY valid points made here? How can anyone even argue or dispute what has been said here?
I also agree with Mrs Garrissons post. Very valid points..

Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
If you choose the god of this world, you don't have to follow the bible. You can just make it up as you go along.
This is one claim made by many people of different religions that really bothers me. Do you think that I, as an atheist, am so vapid, free-floating, devoid of rationality that I truly accept whatever sounds good to me, that I just make up the perimeters of my life as I proceed through? That's preposterous, and to claim otherwise certainly, I feel, shows a certain amount of disrespect for my level of intelligence and yours, as well.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So how does that differ from the arguments about gay marriages? Or do you also not support marriage for Atheists?
I don't know, but that is a good point. I suppose changing marriage in whatever fashion, as long as there is one p*** and one v*****, is okay.

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-28-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality