Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are both wrong...Humans are still evolving as are most other creatures.

Signs of recent evolution by natural selection are widespread across the human genome, experts say.

Human Genome Shows Proof of Recent Evolution, Survey Finds
Yes, but not involving into other organisms. Still remaining in their same species category. That was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM

428 posts, read 1,631,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Thanks for so painstakingly pointing out my type-os
You are welcome!

Quote:
I will not state the obvious and refer again to the fact that you were not ON earth at the beginning and therefore have no certain way of knowing what the first being was. I will also not reiterate a common, and very valid, point that science has explanations for everything that prevents the use of faith even though they are depending on that selfsame faith for their hypotheses.
True, and you were not on the earth when the Bible was written, so you don't know either. I never said religious faith is invalid, and in fact I think it is perfectly compatible with science. And no, science does not depend on faith, but upon evidence.

Quote:
And I beg to differ but I most certainly can throw biblical points into my reasoning since I feel it is a far more trustworthy source than any science book I've read. It simply makes more sense to me. Not to you? Fine. But please refrain from making the assumption that you know more about the theory of evolution than I do. Believing in God hardly makes me a moron.
I never said you were a moron because you believe in God. I simply said you can't plausibly use the Bible to refute scientific evidence. It is clear to me that I do know more about the theory of evolution than you do. This is not saying you are ignorant--I happily admit there are countless subjects I know varying amounts about, from a great deal on some, to nothing on others--just like everyone else.

One of my interests for the past 30 years has been evolutionary biology, so I have picked up a lot of factual knowledge about it. When you talk about evolutionists thinking God made apes that evolved into men, theories about humans regressing being evidence against evolution, and such, you reveal that you do not have a good understanding of what evolution by natural selection is all about.

I know many respected scientists who are religious, but they find evolutionary theory perfectly compatible with their faith.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Yes, but not involving into other organisms. Still remaining in their same species category. That was my point.
Evolution into different species is common too and takes mere weeks to observe:
Speciation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since this keeps happening throughout time, then we eventually get many little steps which add up to big ones

Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

Mozart,

It looks like you and I agree, for the most part. We both agree that science and faith can co-exist and we both believe in evolution. I don't believe in macro-evolution-where it comes to species evolving into each other...but that's just because I havent seen adequate evidence to that effect.

I don't use the bible to 'refute' scientific evidence. You must have mis-read something? I was simply stating what the bible has to say about certain matters about which i was questioned.

If you are certain you know more about natural selection and evolution than I do, I won't bother to contradict. But please understand that my feelings are based on over 20 years of research. I'm not going to be easy to convince...

Old 06-05-2008, 05:30 PM

428 posts, read 1,631,140 times
Quote:
If you are certain you know more about natural selection and evolution than I do, I won't bother to contradict. But please understand that my feelings are based on over 20 years of research. I'm not going to be easy to convince...
alice, I have no wish to question your faith, so we are in total agreement there. I won't try to convince you of anything, but I probably remain hopeful that you might be open to a bit more in-depth discussion of evolutionary theory. In fact, macroevolution is not incompatible with religion, either.

I am curious, what sort of research are you referring to?

Old 06-05-2008, 05:34 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
alicenavada wrote:
Quote:
I'm 59 years old and evolution has been one of my major interests since I was in my teens. I'm curious about what research you're talking about and what convinces you that there's some barrier that stops evolutionary change from continuing beyond certain boundaries. A species is merely a means of classifying organisms at a given point in time. If we could go back say ten or twenty million years and classify everything that was living at that time into a species it would be very different from what we classify as a species today. Some species would appear the same but all of the modern mammals would be completely different and unrecognizable from what they've evolved into in our time. You made the statement that it wasn't your religious beliefs that led you to your conclusions but I recall that you stated something about the Bible and how it referred to God creating animals according to their kind which sounds alot like saying that God created species and that was what you were basing your beliefs on.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:40 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,377 times
"Faith, is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

"Without faith it is impossible to please God."

Evidence of a master planner? Evidence of a purpose to life? Oh my friends, He couldn't have given you more than the universe. What more do you want? I know, I know, I was you at one time. "Ask, Seek, Knock..." You'll receieve your answers!!!
This Saul-ette to Paul-ette did!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
"Faith, is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

"Without faith it is impossible to please God."

Evidence of a master planner? Evidence of a purpose to life? Oh my friends, He couldn't have given you more than the universe. What more do you want? I know, I know, I was you at one time. "Ask, Seek, Knock..." You'll receieve your answers!!!
This Saul-ette to Paul-ette did!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll convert when I see a tag stitched in the very fabric of space time at the edge of the universe that says

To:My beloved humans

Otherwise I'd be really embarrassed if I prayed to Jesus Papa and then saw:

Or

Or even

Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart271 View Post
alice, I have no wish to question your faith, so we are in total agreement there. I won't try to convince you of anything, but I probably remain hopeful that you might be open to a bit more in-depth discussion of evolutionary theory. In fact, macroevolution is not incompatible with religion, either.

I am curious, what sort of research are you referring to?
I've read lots of books on the subject that were recommended to me by my teachers-some of which were avid evolutionists. The first one was of course, The Origin of the Species. After that I branched off and read books by authors from Maynard Smith to E.J Larsen to articles written for Science Digest. I am a lover of books, in general, so I enjoyed all the reading I did. But I've also read Encyclopedias and coupled that w/ a constant study of the bible. I believe you have to be somewhat educated in order to feel comfortable w/ any belief system-and I base my feelings on my own research.

I never said macroevolution was not compatible with religion. You keep trying to pin that one on me. I simply said that the bible account of creation and many aspects of the evolutionary theory do not mesh, in my opinion. I don't believe the bible is meant to be a science textbook but where matters of science are concerned, and solid evidence has been found, I believe it to be accurate.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
alicenavada wrote:

I'm 59 years old and evolution has been one of my major interests since I was in my teens. I'm curious about what research you're talking about and what convinces you that there's some barrier that stops evolutionary change from continuing beyond certain boundaries. A species is merely a means of classifying organisms at a given point in time. If we could go back say ten or twenty million years and classify everything that was living at that time into a species it would be very different from what we classify as a species today. Some species would appear the same but all of the modern mammals would be completely different and unrecognizable from what they've evolved into in our time. You made the statement that it wasn't your religious beliefs that led you to your conclusions but I recall that you stated something about the Bible and how it referred to God creating animals according to their kind which sounds alot like saying that God created species and that was what you were basing your beliefs on.
I base my beliefs on what I feel, from my studies, makes the most sense to me. I do believe that individual species must evolve over time in order to adapt, as my recent posts confirm. I do not, however, believe that they are evolving into something ELSE. I do have faith that the bible is the word of God and I do believe that God created each species seperately (birds of the heavens, creatures of the sea, man etc). But I don't believe these things blindly. I try to stay as informed as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality