Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The question in your Thread Title and the question in the Opening post are totally different.

The thread title asks would people still believe... I assume you mean in god..... if there was no threat of hell. The answer to that is clearly "yes" given there are a number of religions out there with no Hell concept.

The Opening Post asks the morality question of whether people would still be good without a threat of hell. The number of very moral Atheists also shows the answer to this is "Yes."
And good deeds, aka being good, do not get one into Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Well, speaking for me, I am a non-theist, I do not believe in God, the Devul, or the afterlife of Heaven or Hell either one.
I am a good person?
DO I do my part to help my fellow man, my community, to reliev suffering and pain when I can?
DO I live within the laws of my state and country, respecting the rights and liberties of others?
DO I seek to educate and better myself, the better to provide for my family and my community?
If so, then YES I am a good person (I hope) and I do not need a religion or a heaven or hell to guide me into this direction.
My example would be the only proof I can offer.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Yes.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM

311 posts, read 605,551 times
As a religious I don't even think of hell at all.
Jesus taught us to be nice people, love and do great things.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
And good deeds, aka being good, do not get one into Heaven.
If you say so Given I see no reason to think there even IS a heaven, I am not really able to comment.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
If you say so Given I see no reason to think there even IS a heaven, I am not really able to comment.
Honestly, it kind of sounds boring. I'd rather just be a good person while I'm around and then skip the whole heaven thing.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Honestly, it kind of sounds boring. I'd rather just be a good person while I'm around and then skip the whole heaven thing.
Me too. I find that the concept of eternal after lives actually cheapens the value of life itself. Not only do I see no reason to think there is an afterlife... I am rather glad of it too.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
I believe fixations on an afterlife will understandably lessen the value of being in the moment with that said I'am not afraid of an after life though I have commited what some may consider a grave sin by having myself spaded/neutered-it was best for me and I'll deal with any consequences later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality