Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
What's your evidence God doesn't exist? I'd be curious to know.
This question is flawed. Atheists do not believe in GODS, not just one particular God. Asking for evidence that "God" doesn't exist limits the question to only one possible entity, when there have been thousands worshiped throughout the history of mankind.

Therefore, this begs the question - what is YOUR evidence that Allah, Ra, Odin, Vishnu, Zeus, The Great Spirit, Mother Earth, etc do not exist?

(BTW - The Bible doesn't count as evidence either way)

Last edited by MrBlueSky_; 06-18-2009 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,178 times
And I JUST realized that this is a necro-post. I apologize.

The fact that there even is an argument here is ridiculous. We have both sides posting articles and theories when we really don't need them. Let me try to make this simple.

1. I am an atheist because I do not believe in a god. Not because I reject a god, but because I do not believe in one.

2. Science is not a belief, it is a study. The purpose of science is to find an explanation, not to counter Christianity. Scientists do not wildly fling around crazy ideas for the sole intent to prove, "Aha, there is no god!".
Also, scientists are not a religion. So to refer to me as a "scientist" is wrong. To tell me I "believe" in science is also wrong. Science is the truth, but it goes both ways. If you prove to me something is not true, then it is not science.
As a last note, as an atheist me belief is not "god doesn't exist", neither is it "the big bang created everything". I am simply able to realize that I DON'T KNOW.

3. The easiest way to counter christianity is not through proof or evidence, but through the most basic thinking abilities we have. Through common sense, and through logic.

There is no written factual evidence that god doesn't exist. There is no written factual evidence that god does exist. As such, a logical human being will not believe in god. They will continue looking for an answer. To whoever said "borders are only in the mind" or something to that effect, that's simply not true. Borders are very real physical barriers decided and accepted by the country's officials. Just because we don't waste resources the painting all the borders doesn't mean they are all inside our heads. We draw them on a map to save all that paint. We set up fences and border guards and draw them on rivers. But I shouldn't have to argue this. We're comparing borders to a fairy tale.

Which of course is the whole point. Christianity is a fairy tale. Unknown, and therefore uncredible authors wrote a story at various points in history. A story which logic and science can disprove, a story which tells of fantastic unbelievable events. A story of a man that no one knows existed, a man that reportedly died long before the story was even written. A story passed down to us through untrackable means. A story which doesn't even present itself as factual evidence. And yet we on a whole believe this

Notice that throughout this entire post I refrained from posting articles or "facts", because you don't need those to explain why you don't believe in a book some guys wrote a long time ago.

Take a couple of newborn children and send them into the wilderness to grow up isolated from the rest of the world. Fast forwards to when they're grown up. What are the chances that they'll be christian? Probably none. Is it because they're all stupid? Chances are most of them are of average intelligence. Is it because they're uneducated? Teach them everything we know. They still won't be christian. They might have even created their own religion. They won't be christian. Why? Because christianity is, like all religions, man-made. Men wrote the book, men built the temples, men created the commandments. Men claimed they did so by the word of god.
And if we are to believe everything that these unknown men have written, then there are only two explanations.

We are either brainwashed, or ignorant.
Or, perhaps, both.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM

218 posts, read 397,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Wrong question. You have it backwards. The onus on the theists to explain why they believe in an unnecessary hypothesis (God).

Wrong. That's like saying, "Prove to me that Henry Ford ever existed. So what if there are written accounts of his life and that Ford vehicles sprinkle our highways from coast to coast. You have the onus of proof upon you to prove that he ever lived."

Think of that ridiculous posit in terms of Jesus Christ and the many written accounts of his life in both scripture and secular history (Josephus, Tacitus, etc.) and then consider what year it is....2010 A.D.

Does anyone know what A.D. stands for?

See "Russell's Teapot" entry in Wikipedia.org for some help with your thinking.
That was a silly response.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
Okay,let me tell you something.
Yes,God exists and his name is ducksburg.

Do you believe?
if not,give me some evidence.
I'll answer that. If you are really God then answer my prayers. I need gas money. I need to pay some bills. I need to buy some things.

I await your answer.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
I'll answer that. If you are really God then answer my prayers. I need gas money. I need to pay some bills. I need to buy some things.

I await your answer.
Stock answer. Luke 4.12

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Stock answer. Luke 4.12
Who said anything about temptation? I am talking about real needs.

"If ye abide in me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." is Jesus promise.

Now lets see the skeptic prove He is God like my Lord does for me in taking care of my needs.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Who said anything about temptation? I am talking about real needs.

"If ye abide in me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." is Jesus promise.

Now lets see the skeptic prove He is God like my Lord does for me in taking care of my needs.
Ya know, I think the problem with so many evangelicals is they do not get a simple point:

If you wish to believe that god (whatever it is) takes care of all your needs, then fine! Pray away, give thanks and no one will bother you. Those of us who believe in something else or do not believe in anything at all (as do atheists), simply desire the same consideration. But evangelicals are determined to keep bugging people about it. That is why so many argue about it. Nobody asks that an evangelical accept others belief or non-belief anymore than we have to accept Christianity. Religious tolerance, on the other hand, is about tolerating others' belief systems though we do not agree or accept them. Religious tolerance is what Freedom of Religion is all about. Live and let live dontcha know.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:56 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper
consider what year it is....2010 A.D.

Does anyone know what A.D. stands for?
What's your point?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:

I await your answer.
They don't seriously think they are god. What ducksburg is saying is that there are thousands of gods that the OP rejects as being true, but then expects nonbelievers to prove his god does not exist. Do you believe in the existence of Ra or Thor? If you do not then what evidence do you have that they do not exist? The truth is that the onus is on the one positing a god does exist. If there's no evidence to substantiate their claim, then it is logical to not accept the truth of said claim.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 02-03-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:

I await your answer.
If this is your way to prove/disprove that ducksburg is/isn't god, then I guess your god doesn't exist either. Since he doesn't seem to answer prayers beyond chance probability, there is no miraculous gas money or paid bills.. There have been plenty of studies on prayer and none of them show any effectiveness of prayer beyond the chance that those things would happen without 'divine intervention'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality