Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 PM

130 posts, read 185,876 times

Advertisements

Ok so weve all heard the tree thing and I'm a Writer/ Philosopher and I came up with this one :

If a penny fell from heaven and landed in the middle of the ocean would the ripple travel around the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,072,620 times
More likely the ripple would both loose energy and be destroyed before it got very far.

imagine the ripple being waves composed of basketballs, eventually, in a see of basketballs, the wave would loose energy as it got bigger and eventually disappear, not to mention that there are already other waves and obstacles in the ocean that would hit those basketballs in different directions as to destroy the wave created by the very big penny.

Was there a mystical point to the question?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 AM

I love you luminous. Of course isn't there always mystical point. A thinking point. Maybe even somewhere a mathmatical point. Consider it my contribution to philosophy 101 for the next century

Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 AM

Well thank you papabear. But if there is a point other than that we should think critically about our instinctual thoughts and answers (at first I thought it would reach) then I don't see it...

Why is it a penny from heaven?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 AM

267 posts, read 216,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear3322 View Post
Ok so weve all heard the tree thing and I'm a Writer/ Philosopher and I came up with this one :

If a penny fell from heaven and landed in the middle of the ocean would the ripple travel around the world?
It would burn up in the atmosphere and never disturb the water.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 AM

ok, so a small round flat piece of copper.
copper: inexpensive and cunductive

Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na'vi View Post
It would burn up in the atmosphere and never disturb the water.
Good point. But I was thinking of the fall as from a mandorla open to the dimension of heaven right above the water.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:

OK I'll Break it Down. With all the books I have read on religeons from around the world.
Many have Kinda the same Idea. "BE NICE", and of course The Golden Rule" is near universal. So I was in contemplation and I thought, With all of these beautiful teachings why does mankind Still treat each other like well (dungModerator cut: edit). If just one of the "BE NICE" teahings sunk in to our thick heads what a change. So with that said: Penny= "Holy Scripture's", The Ocean= "Mankind", Ripple= Change, The World= Within&out
Reminds me of a story I read long ago.
There was a man who had to take his young son with him to a meeting. So wanting to keep the young fellow entertained while he was busy he had taken a picture of the world from the newspaper and tore it into puzzle like peices. Before long he noticed that his son was figeting around. Excusing himself he went to his son and asked about the puzzle. The child replied it was to easy daddy! Puzzled the father asked how he could finish so quickly. The child turned the picture of the world over and there on the back was a picture of a man.
I guess in short if you put the man together then the world comes together.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-16-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
OK I'll Break it Down. With all the books I have read on religeons from around the world.
Many have Kinda the same Idea. "BE NICE", and of course The Golden Rule" is near universal. So I was in contemplation and I thought, With all of these beautiful teachings why does mankind Still treat each other like well $#!^(dung). If just one of the "BE NICE" teahings sunk in to our thick heads what a change. So with that said: Penny= "Holy Scripture's", The Ocean= "Mankind", Ripple= Change, The World= Within&out
There was a man who had to take his young son with him to a meeting. So wanting to keep the young fellow entertained while he was busy he had taken a picture of the world from the newspaper and tore it into puzzle like peices. Before long he noticed that his son was figeting around. Excusing himself he went to his son and asked about the puzzle. The child replied it was to easy daddy! Puzzled the father asked how he could finish so quickly. The child turned the picture of the world over and there on the back was a picture of a man.
So I guess my metaphorical answer was spot on
I guess the child must have drawn the man, otherwise I would think it would still be hard

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,314 times
Quote:
Many have Kinda the same Idea. "BE NICE", and of course The Golden Rule" is near universal. So I was in contemplation and I thought, With all of these beautiful teachings why does mankind Still treat each other like well $#!^(dung). If just one of the "BE NICE" teahings sunk in to our thick heads what a change. So with that said: Penny= "Holy Scripture's", The Ocean= "Mankind", Ripple= Change, The World= Within&out
It's is a nice story, even the penny metaphor, I got it before you had to explain it. However, I don't think it needs to be holy scriptures. When you think about it, there are hundreds of very beautiful religious teaching out there. I don't subscribe to any of them or their teachings, but I still see the beauty that most are. Religion was mans first attempt to understand the chaos. Just think that we created gods and not monsters to explain things we had no understanding of. Personally, I think this says something about mankind that there is a psychological reason for this. Why would we choose something benevolent over something completely evil? Why would we assign anything at all?

I believe that mankind's basic emotion is to do good, feel good. It makes sense when you know the effect positive emotion has on the brain and body, compared to effect negative emotion has. So I don't think we need to cling to scriptures or god(s) even. If that is what you choose, then that is what you choose. I won't argue with it, until you decide to make everyone else choose it. I think that if we left people to believe personally what they so choose without using it in political or other social and educational ways, this world would be a better place. Laws should be fair, the only fair laws would be free of personal belief and would benefit all. Public education should be the same way, we should allow our children to choose what they want to believe in or not to believe in.

So, if you can, try to find a way that works for all people to make positive ripples in this world. Just remember not everyone will choose the same path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality