Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2022, 12:03 PM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Judaism as well, since there is no proselytizing, thus no coercion. One has to request to become a Jew if not born Jewish.
I would include Theravada Buddhism in that group in that there is no proselytizing (although I am disturbed by what some Buddhists and monks are doing in Burma to the Muslims).

Old 05-17-2022, 02:12 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Judaism recognizes that the holy and sacred is not proprietary, that everyone has access to Divinity.
Not limited to this or that path. Because other paths of religion and spirituality are recognized, there is no proselytizing or seeking of converts. In fact, conversion is discouraged.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:30 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,047,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I think about 95% of the world population believes in some form of a higher being. I myself believe in God.

My question for you is, how do you know your religion is the right religion? With so many religions out there, how do you know yours is right?

Also, have you ever doubted your religion?

No mean to cause any controversy. I just want to hear people's opinions about this subject.

I know my religion is the right religion because everything makes sense. Not that other religions don't, I just have a feeling in my heart that it is the right religion.
You will know in your heart if the religion is the right one. All sorts of people have different religions and Catholics think they are right, Pentecosts think they are right, Baptists, Methodists, Episcopalians and even Jews. It's what makes YOU feel right and each religion believes they are right and I believe that God understands this. Olla understands his people, Clinton understands hers...........sorry bout that.

It's all in what you believe. I have a weird belief that when God spoke to all nations, he spoke in ONE TONGUE; one universal language that everyone understood. Some people don't believe that. I do. It's all in what you believe, and even what you were raised in and taught as a child.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:51 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Though I appreciate the sentiment as we're always hoping people will just "stay in their lane" when it comes to such beliefs, unfortunately there are just too many ways that religion does harm to others. Lots of harm to others in a few too many ways. More than a few that religious people either don't care to recognize or just don't know. Sometimes it's hard to tell which.
I've found that my relationship with Jesus has been beneficial to me and has made me do more charity and to seek out trying to improve the lives of others. I map out on paper attached to my wall, how I can and how I did help other people every single day (I must be obnoxious to live with - I literally hang lots of papers on the wall and map out what I can do to help and where I fall short and what good I did do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The ^ above ^ sounds like the old wagon wheel illustration that all spokes lead to the same direction.
However, that is not what Jesus taught.
Jesus taught he was the way, the truth and the life.
Jesus setting the example or model to follow being the way.
Jesus setting the example that Scripture is 'religious truth' at John 17:17
Jesus setting the example that he was the way to life: eternal life - John 17:3

Jim Baton is much more intelligent than me, look at what he says:

Quote:
Here’s my summary of how Jesus interacted with those of other religions:

What Jesus DID:

– healed the sick
– delivered the demonically oppressed
– told people to tell others what God had done for them
– praised people for their great faith
– praised people as examples of what God wants
– announced they would feast in heaven with the earlier prophets.

Only when he was asked did Jesus reveal himself as Messiah (John 4) and King (John 18).

What Jesus DIDN’T do:

– follow his own Jewish culture’s prejudicial norms
– condemn or rebuke
– warn of judgment or hell
– argue theology, debate, quote the Scriptures, ask if people wanted to know the Gospel, or ask people to change anything.

Think about that for a moment. Jesus didn’t try to convince people to believe anything new, change any behavior, or join his group. He simply loved them, praised the good in them, and only answered the questions they were actually asking.
https://christiansforsocialaction.or...holiest%20site.

I think Jesus wants us to love and serve our fellow humans regardless of their beliefs as a way of honoring God.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:56 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You are displaying your inadequate reading of history. The East India Company did not arrive in India with missionaries, it arrived with guns. Missionaries came much later, and there was no blood shed. They built schools, orphanages. In the 200 years of occupation the colonists enslaved, tortured, and shot down masses of people just because they could. Obviously your history books missed the Jalianwalla Bagh massacre or famine created in Bengal by the British Empire. Read Amartya Sen, the economist. This was repeated All over Asia, Africa, West Indies, and the Middle East. I am sorry your education is woefully inadequate. You should stop quoting history to support your weak positions.
How badly can you misunderstand or interpret a comment?

I did not suggest there were no other examples or sources of friction like the ones history ties more directly to religion. Of course there have been all kinds of reasons people have been persecuted, but if anyone is "displaying an inadequate reading of history," clearly it is you, because you seem to be suggesting there are not many examples of religion playing a part as well. Not sure how it matters that "missionaries came much later" either. What matters more specifically with regard to missionaries are all the stories about missionaries you don't want to consider. How very fair and objective minded of you as usual...

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-18-2022 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-18-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
She did answer it: "Read up. If you want to participate in a discussion bring some knowledge with you, not just interrogation."
So...there ya go.
Read up can mean just about anything, because whatever one person wants to read (or not read) will cause that person to have a different handle on the facts which I think are the particulars Phet was asking for...

That said, it is a good idea to read up in order to be better informed, fair and objective about any subject as complex as this one.

"The relationship between Spanish colonization and the Catholicization of the Americas is inextricable. The conversion of the region was viewed as crucial for colonization. The missions created by members of Catholic orders were often located on the outermost borders of the colonies. The missions facilitated the expansion of the Spanish empire through the religious conversion of the indigenous peoples occupying those areas. While the Spanish crown dominated the political, economic, and social realms of the Americas and people indigenous to the region, the Catholic Church dominated the religious and spiritual realm." Wikipedia

Pick your story...

Old 05-18-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Judaism as well, since there is no proselytizing, thus no coercion. One has to seek to become a Jew if not born Jewish.
This is ridiculous, but at least you make the distinction about the religion, Judaism, as opposed to the blurring of these lines with Jewish people who are not religious. Sort of...

More to the point of your comment, proselytizing is not the only manner in which religion has generated conflict.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I've found that my relationship with Jesus has been beneficial to me and has made me do more charity and to seek out trying to improve the lives of others. I map out on paper attached to my wall, how I can and how I did help other people every single day (I must be obnoxious to live with - I literally hang lots of papers on the wall and map out what I can do to help and where I fall short and what good I did do).

Jim Baton is much more intelligent than me, look at what he says:

https://christiansforsocialaction.or...holiest%20site.

I think Jesus wants us to love and serve our fellow humans regardless of their beliefs as a way of honoring God.
I suppose it's not easy for any religious person to keep from getting personal here, but I think the more general discussion and my prior comments are more about religion at a more macro level. Beyond just the one individual or one church bake sale. I'm always glad to see any positive way people may find for themselves to do positive things for themselves and/or others. "Whatever works," as I often like to say, but what works for some also causes problems for others which is a fact I don't think anyone should ignore or deny.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:19 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous, but at least you make the distinction about the religion, Judaism, as opposed to the blurring of these lines with Jewish people who are not religious. Sort of...

More to the point of your comment, proselytizing is not the only manner in which religion has generated conflict.
I don't know that is ridiculous about my reply. Judaism is not a religion of conflict, nor does it seek to impose itself upon anyone, unlike some other religions. That was the only context in which I was discussing it. If you choose to bring political issues regarding Israel to the table, you'll need to take them to the P&OC Forum.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:19 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times
Quote:
I suppose it's not easy for any religious person to keep from getting personal here, but I think the more general discussion and my prior comments are more about religion at a more macro level. Beyond just the one individual or one church bake sale. I'm always glad to see any positive way people may find for themselves to do positive things for themselves and/or others. "Whatever works," as I often like to say, but what works for some also causes problems for others which is a fact I don't think anyone should ignore or deny.
No human is perfect and no collection or organization of humans will be perfect...whether that be a country or business or religion, etc...

So you can find faults with any human or collection of humans. I'd argue that Jesus has been a blessing for humanity and Christianity net positive.

You want a "macro" view....big dictionary word there smarty pants , the Society of Friends has pushed for abolition of slavery well before it was mainstream, advocated women's rights well before it was mainstream, civil rights for all of God's children well before it was mainstream, pacifism, non-violence, no aggression, and anti-war positions, charity, service to all, and support of free will for individuals etc. I am obviously a biased flawed human on this topic, but I think that is a net positive. Yes, people in that collective group, as all humans do, have done some horrible things, but it is net positive.

And it is personal as you say, because I do love Jesus so deeply, but I don't take any offense to you questioning. Questioning isn't a bad thing. Discussion isn't a bad thing if done civilly. We should welcome good human interactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality