Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2022, 12:54 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would you know?
because he know s what kindness is as he demonstrates in every post. kindness personified. buddha will be impressed.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:10 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I still maintain that the Friends have the "right" religion, or at least closest to the right one: "I cannot tell you how to experience God. I can only tell you how I experience God."

We have one Quaker who posts here occasionally. There was once another, who unfortunately has left this earthly realm.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:20 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
because he know s what kindness is as he demonstrates in every post. kindness personified. buddha will be impressed.
Is that all you think Buddhism is...is kindness. Do you know what happens when people are always kind. Little social progress is made.

In my view, Buddhism is about making mindful choices. And I do.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:38 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Is that all you think Buddhism is...is kindness. Do you know what happens when people are always kind. Little social progress is made. In my view, Buddhism is about making mindful choices. And I do.
bold above, Do you know what happens when people are always kind yes i do know.
kindness increases in the world.
the kindness is noticed and appreciated.
the kindness improves the quality of relationships.
the kindness improves the quality of daily life.
the kindness improves the quality of interactions.

that there is a mindset that seeks to justify, defend, and rationalize unkindness is disturbing.
even more disturbing is the claim that unkindness is necessary for social progress to be made.
and then to top it off, to label it as "mindfulness" as if it is the Buddhist way

yikes.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:09 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

that there is a mindset that seeks to justify, defend, and rationalize unkindness is disturbing.
even more disturbing is the claim that unkindness is necessary for social progress to be made.
and then to top it off, to label it as "mindfulness" as if it is the Buddhist way

yikes.
Well that sure doesn't explain the lack of social progress that is seen in the Buddhist nations of Southeast Asia. But of course, you've only read about that in books.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:14 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Well that sure doesn't explain the lack of social progress that is seen in the Buddhist nations of Southeast Asia. But of course, you've only read about that in books.
I think there is SOME social progress, though. When my daughter was staying in a tree house near the elephant sanctuary in Thailand, she texted me that "Someone in the area is playing that song about the werewolves in London that you always sing along to when it comes on the radio."

Does that count?

Old 05-26-2022, 02:20 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Now Badlander, her interpretations of what you meant are far more important than your own actual intent! All knowing. All seeing. All understanding.
Yep. Surprising how the two posters who spout kindness, reading ability and tolerance display next to none of that towards posters they do no agree with.I

Still trying to understand how a lack of belief in a God is magical thinking. I dont think believing in a God is magical thinking however the context was more like God hates gays which matches Joe hates gays or God thinks women atvworth half of a man and tjat is good because Joe thinks women are lesser than men. Its almost magical that God has the same opunions as Joe.

Note to Christians, I was not referring to your religion in the woman half the value if man. Hard to believe this has to be explained to intelligent adults.

Atheism is the lack of belief in any Gods and yes I am an atheist however beyond that it does not make any other claims that can magically agree with my lack of belief in a God. Of course I am assuming rhese intelligent posters have spent a minute to understand what an atheist is rather than making up their own definition.

It is not magical thinking that Jesus is your saviour if you are a Christian or that he wast not if you are a Jew. Too simple to miss

Old 05-26-2022, 02:22 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:

yikes.
most of all being kind makes you feel good. kindness IS all about being mindful.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:

yikes.
It's their excuse for being how they are Tzaph.
They are too arrogant and haughty to ever admit they may not be all that, and be open to wise counsel.
Which is too bad...because it can improve your life.
Just like, through my imperious attitude, I opened myself to your wise counsel. I greatly improved my life, as it motivated me to get my Spiritual house in better order.
What if I'd been too vainglorious, and refused to listen? It would have been a great loss of opportunity.
Enlightenment is rare...one is best served to seize all they can get.
Taking in wisdom is very wise.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:34 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yep. Surprising how the two posters who spout kindness, reading ability and tolerance display next to none of that towards posters they do no agree with. Still trying to understand how a lack of belief in a God is magical thinking. I dont think believing in a God is magical thinking however the context was more like God hates gays which matches Joe hates gays or God thinks women atvworth half of a man and tjat is good because Joe thinks women are lesser than men. Its almost magical that God has the same opunions as Joe. Note to Christians, I was not referring to your religion in the woman half the value if man. Hard to believe this has to be explained to intelligent adults. Atheism is the lack of belief in any Gods and yes I am an atheist however beyond that it does not make any other claims that can magically agree with my lack of belief in a God. Of course I am assuming rhese intelligent posters have spent a minute to understand what an atheist is rather than making up their own definition. It is not magical thinking that Jesus is your saviour if you are a Christian or that he wast not if you are a Jew. Too simple to miss
bold above = "it's almost magical that atheism has the same opinions as atheists"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality