Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

Where should I discuss religion-inclined philosophy?

Here.

So long as the mods are made aware of the fact that your OP is a religion based/inclined philosophical debate June sees no reason why it couldn't be posted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
philosophy (love of wisdom) is about something different than religion and spirituality. So I guess it makes sense to separate it from such corrupting influences. I agreed with the ancient Rabbi about how to live life also, but once he allowed it to become a religion, it became corrupt and now even those religionists he tried to trick into being good think they don't have to be. Where should I discuss religion-inclined philosophy? There wont be any good religionists in the new philosophy forum to talk about the issues.
Good points. I do differ with your "corrupted" attitude though. Yes, religion can lead people to act in close minded ways. But so do other people in other areas besides religion, politics is one. People may think that a certain economic system is better and it also may get corrupted in some ways. I do not think it is the philosophy behind but those that enforce it become corrupted. Also, religion in time can become such a destructive force. That is not the fault of let us say the original intent of that religious belief. People in time, as in all areas of life, end up thinking that their way of life is the best and other need to get in line.

To me religion is a philosophical way of life. The great philsophers in the past and in the present are still thinking what may be the best way to live a life as an individual or as a group. I suppose the difference is that one type believes God tells which is the best way for us to live and the other group simply try to figure it out for themselves. Either way the goal is the same to me.

How many time a group has revolted to overthrow some group (religious, economics, government, etc) with the intent of bringing justice, fairness, and equality and later that same group ends up being worse later?

You ask "Where should I discuss religion-inclined philosophy?" I believe that the Religion forum can be place to go. However, I will share my observation on what I see there. There are the general scenarios I tend observe there. I will bring the ire of some but it is not something upset me at all.
Example: Some individual may start an OP about a point in the Bible. Others join, suddenly out of nowhere comes some atheist making sarcastic, condescending, and put down comments like "It is amazing how people believe in these fairy tales" or "If you want to believe in the Easter Bunny types that is your choice". Those comments have nothing to do with the subject at question. Contributes nothing, just want to be jerk. Some come up with comments that seems want to make them sound so intelligent by putting down others.

Example: On the other side of the coin you see people that claim to be loving christians and once they hit point that is very controversial, the fangs can come up and forget about civility. They are closed to other views. Many start their OP already expecting others to view things their way by try to hide it by wording it in such way as if they have no ulterior motive. Many do have this sense of arrogance as if they are the chose ones and do look down on others when they express their views.

Bottom line? Both, atheists and theist, have their zealots. They are the same type just on the opposite end of the spectrum. Both share the same type of traits like feeling it is OK to offend, disrespect, or arrongance, etc.

You can find the people you want but you simply have to look closely and start an OP on a subject you want and simply ignore that narrow minded ones that do not contribut anything positive and stay with the ones that truly want to share their views and see what others to share.

I share with you a wise advice from a Buddhist sage. I have his words framed and on the wall. He said:
The path to understanding is difficult for those that make distinctions.
Do not like.
Do not dislike.
Then everything will become clear.

I take his words to say that when you discuss issues with others, put aside your own views and truly listen without thinking how you are going to tear down a different point of view. See why that individual believes the way he does. See his arguments. In the end you may still disagree but without the contemp atheists and theists have when they argue. They both may claim to be objective but they are not. They both may claim to be so logical but they are not. Of course you will find the truly objective individuals in both groups that love to share views and see how others believe for the sake of learning that is great. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality