Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

That's truth. Pilate, however, didn't get a response from Jesus when he asked "what is truth?" Why do you think the question went unanswered? How would you respond to the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
When the Buddha was asked what is Truth by the Demiurge Baka Bramah; the Buddha replied:

"Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself (this objective moral truth) give up the bad and embrace the good."
- The Buddha

Jesus knew that it was written, and Jesus likely heard it said, that God is Truth, and thus Truth is God. He could not have responded to Pilate without insulting him, as Pilates people had deep faith that The Divine (gods) was the truth. Jesus is quoted as saying "I am the truth"... how can a human be the truth, how can a manifestation be the truth, Jesus was likely talking about his "message" as being the truth.

Lord Krishna told his beloved king Arjuna: There is no truth beyond me.

Muhammad believed all Truth is God's Truth, and that is Islam.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
When the Buddha was asked what is Truth by the Demiurge Baka Bramah; the Buddha replied:

"Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself (this objective moral truth) give up the bad and embrace the good."
- The Buddha

Jesus knew that it was written, and Jesus likely heard it said, that God is Truth, and thus Truth is God. He could not have responded to Pilate without insulting him, as Pilates people had deep faith that The Divine (gods) was the truth. Jesus is quoted as saying "I am the truth"... how can a human be the truth, how can a manifestation be the truth, Jesus was likely talking about his "message" as being the truth.

Lord Krishna told his beloved king Arjuna: There is no truth beyond me.

Muhammad believed all Truth is God's Truth, and that is Islam.

Yep That is what I say...God Is truth, and truth is God...But Jesus also claimed to be the truth or the truth was in him..and he in it...So the Son is part of the truth...and the truth is on part of the Son....The Son leads us to the truth if we follow the way he said..."sell it all, Give it to the poor fools who want it, then follow me"...and only then can we follow...Idols are not allowed...hence the rich man never gets in...but the camels do....so...we have word on how to find the truth...by the son.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:46 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
How would you respond to the question?

Existence is truth.

Science is like a finger pointing to the truth.

Religious claims to the truth are based on desires that fulfill the ego.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:49 PM

460 posts, read 593,115 times
What's that famous line? "You can't handle the truth!"

Exposition on the meaning of life, for example, creates a vast jungle of thought--and imagination.

What would happen if we really knew what the "truth" is?

Would our limited ceebral capacity be able to contain it, much less understaned it?

Would our under-developed spiritual selves be able to accept it?

Some of us seek a truth in very much the same way an adventurer-explorer seeks new lands and untold riches. For a few, satiety is never achieved; they are not satisfied with what they have discovered or achieved. There is always another hill/mountain, another ocean to cross, another treasure hidden in the land.

On the other hand, there are a few who are quite comfortable with the small regional understanding of their environment. Beyond the horizon, there is "nothing" to be concerned about; there is "nothing" of importance; in fact, there is "nothing" there. All the truth is contained within their own self-designed borders.

There are another group of folks who simply shrug their shoulders and cry: "Who cares?" Truth is irrelevant to the daily eeking out an existence.

In our unending struggle to define a "truth," we do, in fact, set up parameters that will inevitably cause us to fail. "No, that can't be right." "I absolutely reject that idea." "That doesn't make any sense!"

If "truth" is individualistic--meanng that it exists only within the limitations of the mind and imagination--then there can be no single truth. Although, if there exists an Absolute Truth, then each of us in composing our own truth would be adding to the sum total of this Absolute Truth.

But wouldn't it be a kick in the head if it were someday revealed to us that there is no "truth" at all?

Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Interesting question. What is truth? Well, since each and every one of us have our own definition of what truth is, then it only stands to reason that the only truth that matters is what is truth to us as individuals. Your truth may not be the same as mine but who's to say which is the real truth and which isn't, personally I would say that they're both right and that there is no wrong.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:57 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Most of us claim we seek truth - but I think that's very doubtful. The majority are more interested in whatever "truth" matches their pre-conceived notions. It's very difficult for someone to accept a "truth" they are not already partial to... I don't claim to be above this from time to time.

What about this one? >>>> This sentence is false.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:59 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Interesting question. What is truth? Well, since each and every one of us have our own definition of what truth is, then it only stands to reason that the only truth that matters is what is truth to us as individuals. Your truth may not be the same as mine but who's to say which is the real truth and which isn't, personally I would say that they're both right and that there is no wrong.
I dunno - that sounds like extreme postmodernism to me.

Are you using the term "truth" as a general term denoting "world-view"?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Most of us claim we seek truth - but I think that's very doubtful. The majority are more interested in whatever "truth" matches their pre-conceived notions. It's very difficult for someone to accept a "truth" they are not already partial to... I don't claim to be above this from time to time.

What about this one? >>>> This sentence is false.
That sentence is actually nonsense. sentences have no true or false qualities to them. Its like saying: "This symbol is wrong."
truth and falsehood are not qualities of sentences but of the ideas they are used to symbolized.
Just like you can't say: "this sentence is (or is not) falling" or "this sentence is happy" or "this sentence hurts" or "this sentence is 89 degrees Celsius (a quality of the ink or paper, not the sentence)". etc

Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Yep That is what I say...God Is truth, and truth is God...But Jesus also claimed to be the truth or the truth was in him..and he in it...So the Son is part of the truth...and the truth is on part of the Son....The Son leads us to the truth if we follow the way he said..."sell it all, Give it to the poor fools who want it, then follow me"...and only then can we follow...Idols are not allowed...hence the rich man never gets in...but the camels do....so...we have word on how to find the truth...by the son.
One of the most circuitous, merry-go-round "arguments" I have ever seen. It's simplified "facts" simply refer to each other and then back on themselves. Quite the impressive presentation, Sir Les!

I have noted, however, that the Christian fancier-apologist does not EVER sell his or her "stuff" and give all of the profits to the poor, and then go join them and their camels in their pure and honest way of life, as Jesus demanded.

Why not? Absolute Evangelical Hypocrisy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality