Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:55 AM

179 posts, read 333,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You are not an independent thinker. Your thoughts are steered by the Bible. This is what I referred to as religious dogma. Whether such dogma comes from a church or is of your own making matters not. What matters is the rigidity with which you hold to such ideas.

Nonsense. Creation "doctrines" are nothing more than myths. Myths are folklore. Science is not. There is no comparison.
Why use the word myth when you could say what you really mean. That creation is a lie, all creationists are liars. Is not that what myth means when you really break it down?

Quote:
Then why do you cling so dearly to ancient myth when the "new stuff" points to natural causes? It doesn't matter what the group says. Put down your Bible and examine the evidence for yourself.
Yes O preacher of evolution. Shall we all come to the alter of evolution? Let evolution save your soul, all it will cost is your tax dollars. And your total confession that you believe in evolution and renounce God. So drop by our blasphemy website and blaspheme God today. And don't forget to click the paypal button and donate to our 501c3 ministry of hating God.

The Blasphemy Challenge
'The Blasphemy Challenge' by The Rational Response Squad - RichardDawkins.net (http://richarddawkins.net/article,425,The-Blasphemy-Challenge,The-Rational-Response-Squad - broken link)
Rational Response Squad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can be just as cruel in a post as you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Question Cruelty or being stubborn?

Originally Posted by ikester7579
Quote:
Ike if you keep bashing your head against a brick wall and the wall doesn't budge but you seem to have a concussion because you repeatedly keep bashing your head against the wall, who than is cruel?
The wall for not breaking or you for wanting to smash a wall with your head?

Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Moderator cut: Good morning everyone! Just a cautionary note here from June: I DO NOT like the sound of anyone saying or implying that they could get cruel in this debate...I know it's a "hot topic" for many, but we need to "keep it nice!" Both sides need to debate the issue without any attacking comments, otherwise, I'll be forced to close this thread...Thanks, June

Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Females Influence Evolution
X-chromosome influences evolution-Health/Science-The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/X-chromosome_influences_evolution/articleshow/2470989.cms - broken link)

Tricky Yeast
NewsDaily: Science -- Gene details natural selection process (broken link)

And to be fair and balanced.. some Young Earth News..

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Evolution-...ire.3386691.jp

Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
I dunno what a Tricky Yeast is but somehow it sounds.......intelligent.
Based on that fact alone I am forced to conclude that the Tricky Yeast must have been the product of an intelligent creator.

Or maybe I am just biased?
Maybe I should change my name to Tricky Y?

Old 10-19-2007, 07:56 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,708 times
No, evolution has not graduated to a "fact". Micro-evolution is obviously a fact, very few people will deny that. But macro-evolution has not been proved, or observed as of yet.

The root problem with the atheistic/evolutionist way of thinking is that it completely leaves out the possibility of supernatural involvement. I have heard over and over again that our thoughts are guided by the Bible(true) and we don't think for ourselves(false). Yet, they claim they are "neutral" in thinking (a complete mental impossibility). Evolutionists are just as biased as some Christians, in that Christians assume that there is a God first, and evolutionists assume there is not a God(or that it is too biased to look at that possibility). There is nothing wrong with studying the scientific world around us, but to say it is neutral to study the world from an atheistic worldview brings hypocricy to a whole new level.

In order to study the world from an objective standpoint, one must consider all possibilties regarding the nature of the universe. To dismiss the Bible as "myths" because of its religous meaning is a catastrophic abuse of the scientific method. Not only are there many outside ssources to confirm most of the Bible's stories, but the Bible itself is the most accurate ancient historic text available to mankind. I wonder.....if even a quarter of the money, research, and time that went into proving evolution alone went into studying the universe from a Biblical stnadpoint, how much different our understanding of the world would be?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Evolutionists are just as biased as some Christians, in that Christians assume that there is a God first, and evolutionists assume there is not a God(or that it is too biased to look at that possibility).
Blanket statement that isn't true. I'm a christian that believes in the evolutionary process.

Quote:
Not only are there many outside ssources to confirm most of the Bible's stories, but the Bible itself is the most accurate ancient historic text available to mankind.
you said it yourself.. HISTORIC... not.. scientific.

Quote:
I wonder.....if even a quarter of the money, research, and time that went into proving evolution alone went into studying the universe from a Biblical stnadpoint, how much different our understanding of the world would be?
but there is no argument for studying the universe from a biblical standpoint. the bibilical standpoint is god created the universe. that is one short science book.

Chatper 1: God and the Universe

"God Created it."

Footnotes: The bible..

I wonder what that final exam question would be..

Old 10-19-2007, 10:07 AM

More disturbing news.. Higher than Turkey.. Lower than Cyprus..

Scary..

LiveScience.com

Also..
Evolution Occurs Faster at the Equator | LiveScience

Oh Goodness!!
Human and Chimp Ancestors Might Have Interbred | LiveScience

Two friends never meet..
Neanderthals and Humans: Perhaps They Never Met | LiveScience

You are.. the weakest.. I mean could be the missing link
Skull of 'Missing Link' Human Ancestor Found In Ethiopia | LiveScience

Say What!!!
Hundreds of Human Genes Still Evolving | LiveScience

Vatican says no to intelligent design?
Vatican Newspaper Denounces Intelligent Design | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/060119_ap_vatican_id.html - broken link)

I hear fish people..
Human Ears Evolved from Ancient Fish Gills | LiveScience

Oxygen = Good
Increase in Oxygen Helped Mammals Dominate | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/animals/ap_050929_oxygen_mammals.html - broken link)

Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
Why use the word myth when you could say what you really mean. That creation is a lie, all creationists are liars. Is not that what myth means when you really break it down?
Oh please. I didn't say creationists are liars. When accepted for what it is, myth can have value. When treated as science, myth loses that value.

Quote:
Yes O preacher of evolution. Shall we all come to the alter of evolution? Let evolution save your soul, all it will cost is your tax dollars. And your total confession that you believe in evolution and renounce God. So drop by our blasphemy website and blaspheme God today. And don't forget to click the paypal button and donate to our 501c3 ministry of hating God.
Are you suggesting I hate that which, to me, doesn't exist?

Quote:
The Blasphemy Challenge
'The Blasphemy Challenge' by The Rational Response Squad - RichardDawkins.net (http://richarddawkins.net/article,425,The-Blasphemy-Challenge,The-Rational-Response-Squad - broken link)
Rational Response Squad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you been injured by my words? If not, how can you say I'm being cruel?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:10 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
Quote:
No, evolution has not graduated to a "fact".
Yes, evolution is a fact. This can be demonstrated.
Quote:
Micro-evolution is obviously a fact, very few people will deny that. But macro-evolution has not been proved, or observed as of yet.
Micro- and macro- are arbitrary terms used to describe certain points in the same process, which is evolution. Macroevolution, or speciation, can also be demonstrated, so the claim that it hasn't been observed is false.

Quote:
The root problem with the atheistic/evolutionist way of thinking is that it completely leaves out the possibility of supernatural involvement. I have heard over and over again that our thoughts are guided by the Bible(true) and we don't think for ourselves(false). Yet, they claim they are "neutral" in thinking (a complete mental impossibility). Evolutionists are just as biased as some Christians, in that Christians assume that there is a God first, and evolutionists assume there is not a God(or that it is too biased to look at that possibility). There is nothing wrong with studying the scientific world around us, but to say it is neutral to study the world from an atheistic worldview brings hypocricy to a whole new level.
The problem with this line of thinking is that it equates science with atheism. Again, false.

Quote:
In order to study the world from an objective standpoint, one must consider all possibilties regarding the nature of the universe. To dismiss the Bible as "myths" because of its religous meaning is a catastrophic abuse of the scientific method. Not only are there many outside ssources to confirm most of the Bible's stories, but the Bible itself is the most accurate ancient historic text available to mankind. I wonder.....if even a quarter of the money, research, and time that went into proving evolution alone went into studying the universe from a Biblical stnadpoint, how much different our understanding of the world would be?
Nothing personal, but this is gibberish. If one uses the Bible as a reference point, such a study becomes subjective by definition. To objectively study nature, one must look only to nature, which is exactly what the scientific method directs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality