Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times

Advertisements

This belongs here, on the general Religion thread, thus allowing all to view it and comment on it, rather than have to drill down.

The Roman Catholic church has its share of black eyes. The most recent, and long-lasting one, is the sexual abuse scandals that have rocked numerous dioceses and have disappointed many adherents to the faith...and the "sweep it under the rug" factor that has gone with it. The RC hierarchy can be pretty smug.

Here's a topic that Catholic scholars address from "within" the church - the prevalence of homosexuality in the clergy. Their "internal" estimates go from low to high.

Since I'm fairly analytical and observant, and have gone through Catholic school the whole way through, I would probably slice up the pie chart this way:

- 40 % of those in the clergy are in it because they are altruistic and were truly called to this helping profession
- 30 % of those in it didn't know what else to do - they tried different jobs, it's a family expectation, it's cultural, etc.
- 30 % of those in it choose it because it "legitimizes" their sexual preference and makes them a respected person

I would probably say that I only like about 40% of the RC clergy, and it's probably the first segment I describe. They seem sincere and truly interested in bettering the spiritual lives of their flock. The next 30% comes off as kind of indifferent and some of these crusty old priests are insufferable and need to retire. Lastly, the other 30% sort of come across as a joke - they can be haughty, elitist and pi$$y. There are so many people in this group who leave the profession to become...surprise...activists for gay groups and causes.

If the last 30% would actually fall into the first 40% I wouldn't care, but they generally don't. What's your opinion of this? Do you feel that there people in the RC clergy for the wrong reasons?

Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Oh how the mighty have fallen. The truth being that here is an organized religion whose foundation is in sandy soil. Its beginnings was founded on a lie, a lie that has been perpetuated over the centuries through intimidation, torture, and blackmail. It has cause the greatest divisiveness of all mankind, it has caused to make the different classes of mankind. It is intolerant of others' beliefs and cultures, it has has been the destroyer of many cultures and all in the name of their god which they claim to be a peaceful loving god which is the biggest lie of all. I have no sympathy for such an entity and I think the sooner an end comes to the roman catholic church and its Pope, Cardinals, and Bishops, the better this world will be for all of mankind. This is just my opinion but then again this is what I think of all of Christianity. As a certain famous orator and agnostic once wrote (Robert Green Ingersoll).
Christians tell me that they love their enemies and yet all I ask is--not that they love their enemies, not that they love their friends even, but that they treat those who differ from them, with simple fairness. We do not wish to be forgiven, but we wish Christians to so act that we will not have to forgive them.
I wonder if their god will forgive them for all of the atrocities that they have committed in the name of their god.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Oh how the mighty have fallen. The truth being that here is an organized religion whose foundation is in sandy soil. Its beginnings was founded on a lie, a lie that has been perpetuated over the centuries through intimidation, torture, and blackmail. It has cause the greatest divisiveness of all mankind, it has caused to make the different classes of mankind. It is intolerant of others' beliefs and cultures, it has has been the destroyer of many cultures and all in the name of their god which they claim to be a peaceful loving god which is the biggest lie of all. I have no sympathy for such an entity and I think the sooner an end comes to the roman catholic church and its Pope, Cardinals, and Bishops, the better this world will be for all of mankind. This is just my opinion but then again this is what I think of all of Christianity. As a certain famous orator and agnostic once wrote (Robert Green Ingersoll).
Christians tell me that they love their enemies and yet all I ask is--not that they love their enemies, not that they love their friends even, but that they treat those who differ from them, with simple fairness. We do not wish to be forgiven, but we wish Christians to so act that we will not have to forgive them.
I wonder if their god will forgive them for all of the atrocities that they have committed in the name of their god.
Thank you for sharing. I was looking for input into a specific issue. It's apparent that someone who authors a thread "who will sit with me in the sacred circle" would have a GENERAL distaste for the whole organization, and not just this issue. On the positive side, many Catholic religious and non-clergy have gone to help people in less fortunate parts of the world, expecting nothing in return, and within the last few centuries, many nuns founded numerous hospitals.

Next...

Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Thank you for sharing. I was looking for input into a specific issue. It's apparent that someone who authors a thread "who will sit with me in the sacred circle" would have a GENERAL distaste for the whole organization, and not just this issue. On the positive side, many Catholic religious and non-clergy have gone to help people in less fortunate parts of the world, expecting nothing in return, and within the last few centuries, many nuns founded numerous hospitals.

Next...

I don't fault the people, the priests and nuns, they're just doing the bidding of those above them and being led along just like the rest. It is those in the hierarchy of the roman catholic church that should take responsibility for their actions instead of passing it off to those below them. It is not Christians in general I have a problem with, there are some mighty fine people who claim to be Christians and tried to do good by others and no one can fault them for that. It is Christianity itself and how it is being imposed on others who do not wish to become a part of that organization, that I have a problem with and have great disdain for.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Ok, so no one wants to go here rather than just slamming the Church in general? If they comment on this WITHIN the Church, I am surprised no one on liberal CDF wants to go for it.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:04 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Pedophiles try to position themselves so that they have access to what they desire. You could do this "analysis" with other professionals as well. You also have people consumed by self-love in all professionals who believe they do no wrong and then you have those that believe that if they believe that Jesus is God that their sins are already paid for no matter how many they rake up. I don't think the priests are any different, they have the good, the bad and the ugly of society just like all the other professions.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM

496 posts, read 484,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Pedophiles try to position themselves so that they have access to what they desire. You could do this "analysis" with other professionals as well. You also have people consumed by self-love in all professionals who believe they do no wrong and then you have those that believe that if they believe that Jesus is God that their sins are already paid for no matter how many they rake up. I don't think the priests are any different, they have the good, the bad and the ugly of society just like all the other professions.
Lets get something straight here. Pedophiles hunt the child.....dictionairy...

Definition of CHILD

: an unborn or recently born person
: a young person especially between infancy and youth

The guys who these phony rc priests hunt down are not children...pedophiles...they are guys up to 18 yrs of age, ...the latin in yrs gone past had to be learned...a young person between infancy and youth described above for the child-pedophile does not pertain to the alter boys or second school stuff....these are all homosexual crimes./...go from there and make your comment...the agressive gays have infiltrated the rc...thats all, and they are organized.....just imagine Atilla the hun in a position with the girl scouts...there, now youve got the picture...its not a matter of infants. ...its the gays cashing in on a young model by trickery at registration....wake up man

Last edited by peter-1; 06-17-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Ok, this thread is going in the direction of pedophilia and molestation. Those who perpetrated that are a true minority. This thread wasn't for the purpose of discussing that.

I was talking about priests who are in the clergy for the wrong reasons. If you've been taught by them or been in a parish they led, you know which ones are the "bad apples" and their haughtiness is the give-away.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
This belongs here, on the general Religion thread, thus allowing all to view it and comment on it, rather than have to drill down.

The Roman Catholic church has its share of black eyes. The most recent, and long-lasting one, is the sexual abuse scandals that have rocked numerous dioceses and have disappointed many adherents to the faith...and the "sweep it under the rug" factor that has gone with it. The RC hierarchy can be pretty smug.

Here's a topic that Catholic scholars address from "within" the church - the prevalence of homosexuality in the clergy. Their "internal" estimates go from low to high.

Since I'm fairly analytical and observant, and have gone through Catholic school the whole way through, I would probably slice up the pie chart this way:

- 40 % of those in the clergy are in it because they are altruistic and were truly called to this helping profession
- 30 % of those in it didn't know what else to do - they tried different jobs, it's a family expectation, it's cultural, etc.
- 30 % of those in it choose it because it "legitimizes" their sexual preference and makes them a respected person

I would probably say that I only like about 40% of the RC clergy, and it's probably the first segment I describe. They seem sincere and truly interested in bettering the spiritual lives of their flock. The next 30% comes off as kind of indifferent and some of these crusty old priests are insufferable and need to retire. Lastly, the other 30% sort of come across as a joke - they can be haughty, elitist and pi$$y. There are so many people in this group who leave the profession to become...surprise...activists for gay groups and causes.

If the last 30% would actually fall into the first 40% I wouldn't care, but they generally don't. What's your opinion of this? Do you feel that there people in the RC clergy for the wrong reasons?

You got to be joking.....life term accommodation, food, full back-up with deep pockets, an internal well organized but stupidly missed perverted agenda.........just imagine all the 15 yr old run way models helping you out with your duties...its a go to deal if your into young guys ....THe RCC is deteriorating from within due to stupidity....just like an advanced society caught with their pants down...to busy and too large an organization for this demented world ...also if your looking for bateria in this world , you will find it. Its a matter of where is your head at?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Ok, this thread is going in the direction of pedophilia and molestation. Those who perpetrated that are a true minority. This thread wasn't for the purpose of discussing that.

I was talking about priests who are in the clergy for the wrong reasons. If you've been taught by them or been in a parish they led, you know which ones are the "bad apples" and their haughtiness is the give-away.

Ok....I know the deal....have many stories and experience's...your not being specific...explain

if the priest says ok...my congregation is my family...calls, funerals, weddings, all kinds of emotional junk for counsellings ( OMG I'm preg & all the family stuff including money issues, job) baptism, confirmation, confessionals..24/7 ......of course these guys are not going to appear like Johnnie Magnificent relative to specific individual sole-need expectations....whatta yu want God himself?

Last edited by peter-1; 06-17-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality