Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

I live my life in fear of religion. Sometimes it gets out of hand. The constitution says cruel and unusual punishment is not legal, but man made laws may not coincide with the preferences of the one who created the universe. There are plenty of religions that threaten me with torture if I don't pick the right religion.

I don't know why people deserve this. Many people appear to be good people but for some reason some guy decided to breathe life into them knowing that he has no problems making them suffer for eternity. A small minority of people treat people like me as some kind of scum.

I don't want any part of this misery but it seems as if I have no choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I live my life in fear of religion. Sometimes it gets out of hand. The constitution says cruel and unusual punishment is not legal, but man made laws may not coincide with the preferences of the one who created the universe. There are plenty of religions that threaten me with torture if I don't pick the right religion.

I don't know why people deserve this. Many people appear to be good people but for some reason some guy decided to breathe life into them knowing that he has no problems making them suffer for eternity. A small minority of people treat people like me as some kind of scum.

I don't want any part of this misery but it seems as if I have no choice.
I am sorry to hear that you are living your life in fear and are threatened by people because of their beliefs. I could not tell from your post whether there were specific people saying things to you directly, or if you were just responding to the general discourse in the world today. I'd have different advice for you if you are being picked on directly vs. just feeling threatened in general.

I am agnostic and atheist (the two are not mutually exclusive) and the general threats of hell that come from some of the religious don't really bother me, because I really don't think a place such as hell exists, so their threats are empty. They might as well be telling me Santa is going to bring me a lump of coal. But, no one knows I am an atheist unless I tell them. If I were gay, it might be more difficult to hide that, and I might be the victim of more direct and personal threats. Depending on the situation, those maybe should not be ignored, and something should be done about that.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I am sorry to hear that you are living your life in fear and are threatened by people because of their beliefs. I could not tell from your post whether there were specific people saying things to you directly, or if you were just responding to the general discourse in the world today. I'd have different advice for you if you are being picked on directly vs. just feeling threatened in general.
It's both.

I was exposed early to the evil part of religion. Not to mention I saw 9/11 happen when I was a wee child. Sometimes I fear being American. I wish for safety and peace but no matter where I go, evil is abundant in this world.

If it helps I am an agnostic Buddhist. But I do not stick to my religion blindly and I am very well aware of the consequences if I am wrong, both on earth and after death.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It's both.

I was exposed early to the evil part of religion. Not to mention I saw 9/11 happen when I was a wee child. Sometimes I fear being American. I wish for safety and peace but no matter where I go, evil is abundant in this world.

If it helps I am an agnostic Buddhist. But I do not stick to my religion blindly and I am very well aware of the consequences if I am wrong, both on earth and after death.
You seem more fearful than the average person; I wonder why.

One thing I try to teach my kids is to not be afraid of pain. Yeah, pain will hurt, but you'll make it through. But, when we are afraid of pain, people can really scare us and manipulate us through threats of pain. Also, we limit what we will attempt in life if we are scared of pain. Not to mention, it is just plain painful to live one's life in fear (of pain or anything else). As we lose our fear of pain, people can't scare or manipulate us as easily. We have more courage to take risks and try things as we lose the fear of pain.

People have power over us with their words only to the extent that we give them that power. As we become psychologically strong and have made peace with all of our insecurities, the words of strangers can't touch us, because we can dismiss their words knowing they are not true.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You seem to be alluding to Pascal's Wager, whether you are familiar with it or not. You might get something out of this post: //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post23984635

Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
me too.. but i hold on to christians beliefs in case there is a hell, but with that i'm probably already damned. i didn't ask to be born or be apart of his failure of angels,satan and the human race.. but alas i'm in and i will never know the truth (what ever it maybe)before its too late..

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
They threaten you, or they tell you they believe bad things will happen to you if you don't believe.
There is a difference. What someone believes in their mind can't hurt you.

Now, if they take harmful or aggresive action toward you because of what they believe, that's a whole other thing. Which is it?

If they are just telling you what they believe, then what is it you fear?

If they are doing something to physically hurt you, then I guess you protect yourself or resort to man's law to help in protecting you.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
TheHurricaneKid...don't be afraid...it can't hurt you if you just let it go in one ear and out the other.....believe what YOU choose, what feels right and good for you.....but don't fear the other, just play the game if you must ( and sometimes it might be in your best interest at that specific time)....and know what is right for you.......it's unfortunate that humans seem to fear what they don't know....too bad we couldn't rejoice instead at whatever may be ahead....scuse the rambling....

Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
me too.. but i hold on to christians beliefs in case there is a hell, but with that i'm probably already damned. i didn't ask to be born or be apart of his failure of angels,satan and the human race.. but alas i'm in and i will never know the truth (what ever it maybe)before its too late..
And what if having Christian beliefs pisses off the true God and he/she sends you to hell anyway?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
And what if having Christian beliefs pisses off the true God and he/she sends you to hell anyway?
well i have studied a lot of religions and most of them don't have an eternal hell(or any hell at all,or don't send people to hell for petty stuff), so there maybe a possibly i could get out..but if the god is say no one knows of, i can't be held responsible for what i dont know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality