Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:07 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,130 times

Advertisements

Are there any other atheists or agnostics here on the Religion forum? I thought I'd make a thread for us to chat, discuss freethinker-friendly places to live, etc. If you're not an atheist or an agnostic, but you would like to (respectfully) ask some questions, I'll be happy to talk to you. But if you're going to come in foaming at the mouth and yelling about how we're all going to hell, I'll ignore you. Also, FYI, it's atheist, not athiest. Atheist means "without gods". Athiest means "the most Athy".

First, a question for the other atheists and agnostics: How open are you about your beliefs or lack thereof? I know a lot of folks on are the downlow. I made the decision a long time ago that I would be fairly open about it, because I know that I may be the only atheist a lot of people ever get to meet. I don't bring it into every conversation, but if my friends start discussing religion, I'll offer the atheist viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 03:08 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
I've been on city data for a few months. I began by posting in my local forum, and lately I've been exploring others. This is the first time I've browsed the religion forum.

I'm an atheist, but like most people here I don't see any reason or need to bring up religious or spiritual beliefs in conversation. I'm not "on the downlow" or a "closeted atheist." If someone asks I say "I'm atheist." Friends and co-workers of mine have a number of religious backgrounds but they're rarely a topic of conversation. I think most people I come across think of religion as something that's personal and private. Most of my friends outside work are atheist, agnostic, or non-practicing associates of a religious group. It's not that I don't want to be friends with religious people, but I really don't know or come across very many people who are very religious.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,130 times
Hey lammius -- you're in NJ? Northerners tend to be more accepting of atheism/agnosticism in my experience, Southerners and Midwesterners tend to be more solidly religious. I've had some fantastic conversations with folks before, one of the best was with a really thoughtful minister's daughter. Of course I also get some of those people who tell me "I'll pray for you" in a really snooty way. If you're going to pray for me, just pray for me, don't throw it in my face just to make yourself feel good.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
I'm also an atheist and I don't feel like it's something I need to hide or be secretive about. I'm actually proud of the fact that I don't follow the rest of the sheep and I enjoy discussing the subject. It's never been my intention to insult people or be hostile in any way, what interests me is trying to get people to question what they believe and why they believe it. I do believe that at some time in the future, probably another century or two, that people will finally abandon mythology and superstition and simply accept the reality that the universe we live in is not populated by supernatural beings. I also think that the world would be a much better place if all of the hostilities generated by competing religions were removed from society.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:33 PM

989 posts, read 3,527,444 times
I'm agnostic. I was raised a Mormon, as soon as I got on my own I put a quick end to that! I don't really know when the change in my thinking took place but now that I am more of a free thinker on this subject I just don't know how in the hell anyone can be religious. I don't want to sound condescending but to me its a bit of a mental weakness.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I also think that the world would be a much better place if all of the hostilities generated by competing religions were removed from society.
I agree. religion has done more harm to mankind than anything I can think of.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:37 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,512 times
Another atheist here. ... raising my kid the same way and he was just awarded "The Good Citizen" award at his school (in the south)

Last edited by MTbound; 04-30-2007 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM

I better amend my previous post, I'm more of an atheist than an agnostic. If I'm not mistaken an agnostic is a person who believes there may be a god. I don't.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:20 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
I guess I consider myself an atheist for the most part, as I find organized religion relatively obnoxious. My question is: Why do Christians think people who are not religious have somehow NEVER heard the "good news"! Hello? This is the home of the Christian Right for crying out loud! As though anyone can escape it? Okay, enough rambling....:-) Have a great night everyone!

Last edited by skyegirl; 04-30-2007 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: spelling:-)

Old 04-30-2007, 06:28 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,726 times
I'm an agnostic. I don't claim to have the knowledge that a diety exists or not. I'm pretty open about being what I am. My family and friends know about my lack of belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality