Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:26 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times

Advertisements

I was watching a program on HBO last night (See video clips below) which completely appalled me, primarily because it involved children. Not that superstition has not been a part of Africa and its religions for ages, but the rise of Pentecostalism Christianity in parts of Africa (namely Nigeria) has created a religiously supercharged, deadly environment for children (as you will see). Of course it is also creating trouble in Eastern Africa when it comes to says, but I digress.

There is ONE local organization seeing to the rescue and needs of these persecuted and discarded children as far as I can tell. I am not aware of any Christian groups stepping in to counter this nonsense perpetrated by others who also call themselves Christians. I am not even sure there are even other Pentecostals who are speaking out or doing anything to deal with these people who have taken their version of Christianity and taken it to these crazy levels. In this respect, it is comparable to the complaints made about some adherents in Islam. Radicals running free, terrorizing their own populations and abusing their children in the name of their religion. Less fanatical Muslims are often nowhere to be found to address the nonsense perpetrated in the name of their faith.

As for atheists/agnostics, some of us often look on and criticize the religiously moderate and liberal for not taking a stand against their radicals and fringe groups. We are well aware of passages in both the Koran and Bible that [some] use liberally to promote and maintain sickening practices. We stand on the sidelines and criticize and mock, [sometimes] implying we can or would do better??? Well, here I issue a challenge. What if the "True Christians" and the "I can do better" atheists/agnostics stepped up to the plate to make a difference here? I can't say if there are others helping these children, but as far as I know, there is only one group but clearly, they are overwhelmed and need more help. These children really need our help (as do so many others in this crazy world).

YouTube - Dispatches: Return to Africa's Witch Children (1 of 5)

YouTube - Dispatches - Return to Africa's Witch Children 2/5

YouTube - Dispatches: Return to Africa's Witch Children (3 of 5)

YouTube - Dispatches - Return to Africa's Witch Children 4/5

YouTube - Dispatches: Return to Africa's Witch Children (5 of 5)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:50 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
thanks for finding the clips; watched it on nightline a while back. it's haunted me every since.
the churches don't seem to want to hear about it.
knowledge of this rank in my top 5 reasons of why i had to walk away from organized religion.

i've wanted to do something. i've tried to educate others about this. i've gotten the feelings that some think these people are a cursed people and do not want to intefer with destiny.
denial is the best anesthia.

i think i'll get some copies of this documentary and mail them out to the local pseudo-leaders
so that i know for sure that they are aware of this.
i couldn't stand to re-watch it today.
thanks for being conscious of this issue and posting it.

http://www.thetravelingteam.org/files/u1/1040-frontier-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,808 times
The Christianity in Nigeria is a mix of Islam and Christian beliefs and is not Christianity. It is evil what these people have done to the children here.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
you are trying to motivate people to get involved with africa. but america needs people like you right here. america is in trouble and needs motivators.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I was watching a program on HBO last night (See video clips below) which completely appalled me, primarily because it involved children. Not that superstition has not been a part of Africa and its religions for ages, but the rise of Pentecostalism Christianity in parts of Africa (namely Nigeria) has created a religiously supercharged, deadly environment for children (as you will see). Of course it is also creating trouble in Eastern Africa when it comes to says, but I digress.

There is ONE local organization seeing to the rescue and needs of these persecuted and discarded children as far as I can tell. I am not aware of any Christian groups stepping in to counter this nonsense perpetrated by others who also call themselves Christians. I am not even sure there are even other Pentecostals who are speaking out or doing anything to deal with these people who have taken their version of Christianity and taken it to these crazy levels. In this respect, it is comparable to the complaints made about some adherents in Islam. Radicals running free, terrorizing their own populations and abusing their children in the name of their religion. Less fanatical Muslims are often nowhere to be found to address the nonsense perpetrated in the name of their faith.

As for atheists/agnostics, some of us often look on and criticize the religiously moderate and liberal for not taking a stand against their radicals and fringe groups. We are well aware of passages in both the Koran and Bible that [some] use liberally to promote and maintain sickening practices. We stand on the sidelines and criticize and mock, [sometimes] implying we can or would do better??? Well, here I issue a challenge. What if the "True Christians" and the "I can do better" atheists/agnostics stepped up to the plate to make a difference here? I can't say if there are others helping these children, but as
far as I know, there is only one group but clearly, they are overwhelmed and need more help. These children really need our help (as do so many others in this crazy world).

YouTube - Dispatches: Return to Africa's Witch Children (1 of 5)

YouTube - Dispatches - Return to Africa's Witch Children 2/5

YouTube - Dispatches: Return to Africa's Witch Children (3 of 5)

YouTube - Dispatches - Return to Africa's Witch Children 4/5

YouTube - Dispatches: Return to Africa's
Witch Children (5 of 5)
Sorry, Insane. I can't watch those clips. I'll lose it, and that won't be pretty....

Africa would be the first continent I would fix if I could do anything. Unfortunately, I'm a tired, physical, emotional wreck half the time.

What a shame Pentecostalism has taken such a horrible turn. I know many evangelical-type pastors preached against it once upon a time. I've seen some very strange things come out of the Pentecostal movement, but I guess you are right, that denomination would have a worse affect on those that were already superstitious.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Sorry, Insane. I can't watch those clips. I'll lose it, and that won't be pretty....

Africa would be the first continent I would fix if I could do anything. Unfortunately, I'm a tired, physical, emotional wreck half the time.

What a shame Pentecostalism has taken such a horrible turn. I know many evangelical-type pastors preached against it once upon a time. I've seen some very strange things come out of the Pentecostal movement, but I guess you are right, that denomination would have a worse affect on those that were already superstitious.
I have 4 kids and even before them I've always had a soft spot for children. I don't care their color, religion or ethnicity, I just HATE to see children suffer and this stuff just grates my nerves. Like you, I had a hard time watching this - a VERY hard time and it was made even worse when I watched that wicked bleep spreading her vile lies via various medias. Then she wants to cry racism. Even as a black man, as I am, her excuses sounded so damn lame.

As if mother Africa does not have enough problems already, all this does is creates a new generation of very ANGRY souls who will become victims of self fulfilling prophecies and can become the next Idi Amin or Charles Taylor. Just what that area of the world needs.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I have 4 kids and even before them I've always had a soft spot for children. I don't care their color, religion or ethnicity, I just HATE to see children suffer and this stuff just grates my nerves. Like you, I had a hard time watching this - a VERY hard time and it was made even worse when I watched that wicked bleep spreading her vile lies via various medias. Then she wants to cry racism. Even as a black man, as I am, her excuses sounded so damn lame.

As if mother Africa does not have enough problems already, all this does is creates a new generation of very ANGRY souls who will become victims of self fulfilling prophecies and can become the next Idi Amin or Charles Taylor. Just what that area of the world needs.
Hmm.....yes. We don't need any more angry people around.

Well, at least Charles Taylor is on trial. I think we just need some well-trained snipers to take some folks out around the world. It would solve a few problems if you ask me. But, there are probably just as many nasty people around to fill the holes as soon as you take one out.

I say kick them all onto a deserted island (maybe like our planet) and let them duke it out there. Except, just like prison, there will be a market for goods on that island and the whole thing will become just another money making machine.

Never mind. There is no hope........

Forget I mentioned anything.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

(I'll get a hold of myself one of these days)

Last edited by herefornow; 05-31-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The Christianity in Nigeria is a mix of Islam and Christian beliefs and is not Christianity. It is evil what these people have done to the children here.
Ummm...Pat Robertson, you know, the CBN guy, once praised Charles Taylor and called him a fellow Baptist. He was STILL backing him in 2003, angry that Bush called for Taylor to step down!!!!

The INSANITY of it all!

And, both Muslims AND Christians riot and kill each other in that country all the time.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
I've been having trouble with making Youtube work of late. However Nigeria is a land with a long history of sometimes violent superstitions. Certain tribes would expose twins to the elements (usually killing them, on rare occasions they may have lived or been taken in by someone) because they deemed twins creepy or bad or something.

At first Christianity did a good deal of getting rid of some of these things. Which is not to say Christians did no abuses of their own. Overzealous Christians would sometimes be violent to pagans, and justify the violence based on them having inhumane superstitions, or support imperialism. Still there was some increase in rights for the disabled, twins, etc as well as an increased education. That's when it was more like Anglicans, Catholics, and Methodists.

In modern times Nigeria has a good deal of "African Instituted Churches" like the Church of the Lord Aladura and the general Aladura movements. From what I can tell Aladura is largely Pentecostal. Also Nigeria has at times had what are called "Purification" movements. These usually occur in monotheistic religions, although "State Shinto" could be an example in polytheism, and emphasize purify the religion of "pagan" or "pre-Blankian" elements. One of the leading purification movements in Nigeria occurred among Muslims in the North who sought to purify Nigerian Islam of pre-Islamic or "jahiliyyah" elements. (It's been awhile since I've taken African history so I might be misspelling "jahiliyyah") Relational to this is the jihadist states that arose in nineteenth century Nigeria, particularly the one led by Al-Hajj Umar Tall. Christianity came a bit later to what we now call Nigeria than Islam so it might be expected that a purification movement also arises later. Outside Nigeria notable "purification movements" include the Puritans for Christianity and Wahabbi Islam.

I don't think Nigerians per-se need Christianity or a purification movement to justify killing kids for allegedly being witches, or whatever the video shows, but looking it up Nigerian purification movements do seem to emphasize witch-hunts just as the Puritans themselves did. Although being Pentecostal it also likely has a more emotional/hysteria based aspect. Lastly African churches, being in unhealthy nations, are often concerned with health. They may have the hope that purging "witches" is a kind of health effort. I'm not sure what we can actually do about such matters as Nigeria has many problems besides this, most of them probably larger than this actually, and interference might simply be rejected as a form of neo-colonialism.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
interference might simply be rejected as a form of neo-colonialism.
True enough for the adults, maybe. But, I don't think the kids would care who the hel* showed up, as long as somebody showed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality