Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:47 AM

505 posts, read 575,147 times

Advertisements

Pride: an inordinate attitude of self-esteem, arrogance; HAUGHTINESS; perpetual vanity
Stubbornness: unyielding, obstinate, head-strong and bull-headed
None of these is a desirable trait to possess; or rather, to have possess you.
However, not all pride is bad: you may be proud of your culture or nationality, if you were not born or
raised here in this country. Likewise, not all stubbornness is bad: if you are standing up for the helpless,
or hopeless, or for good, moral Christian values; if you refuse to give in to evil etc.. that's a good thing.
When the nature and extent of pride and stubbornness (or both) goes beyond the boundaries of
"acceptable" and into "excessive", TROUBLE is sure to follow! It would be safe to assume there are
different degrees or levels of trouble you could fall into. A beautiful, shapely woman may let her ego and
pride run rampant. She may be so impressed with her looks that she is constantly primping and looking in
the mirror- a "mirror-a-holic"; basically, admiring herself. She constantly has the need to look perfect, so
others will perceive her that way. In truth, she may be perceived by others as being "vain" or narcissistic.
Sometimes "beautiful" people lead very lonely lives, with not too many true friends. They may attract
multitudes, but many times have few very close friends. One day she may need help, only to find there's
no-one around. People who know "beautiful" people may be friendly to their face, but will roll their eyes up
in disgust as they walk away.
A wealthy man may go out in public in a $750.00 suit, $200.00 shoes, silk tie etc... As he steps out of
his stretch limo, people on the street may see him as "flaunting" his wealth; rubbing it in, somehow.
Maybe he is. Maybe he likes the way the ladies flirt with him, or how they shoot inviting looks his way.
Maybe he likes how the waiters and waitresses fall all over him, giving him special attention and service.
Do they do this because he deserves it; because he is a V.I.P.? In most cases, they are just hoping he'll
toss a little green their way. If he's not very, very careful, it won't take him long to love his money more
than everything else in the world. He may become excessively prideful of his money, and accomplishments (if any!). "Pride goeth before destruction" (Pr. 16:18).
The 16 year old, ecstatic over finally getting his driver’s license, may drive around recklessly, racing
or stubbornly refuse to obey the rules of the road. This kind of trouble endangers and can seriously injure
or kill themselves and any innocent family of people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Pride and stubbornness can go hand in hand, and very often work together against people’s lives.
They can feed off each other, somehow, as if they were related. A person cannot hide extreme stubborn
pride. It has a way of revealing itself to others and to the person it's possessing. This possession can lead
to extremely BAD CHOICES IN LIFE!!! I'll give an example: I saw a movie many years ago about Col.
George Custer (Custer's last stand). He was as full of himself, egotistical and as full of stubborn pride as
a human being ever portrayed in a movie. New information came to him in which he was informed that he
was helplessly outnumbered and out flanked by the Indian nation he was to engage in battle with the next
day. When asked by one of his underlings whether they should delay the fight and call for
re-enforcements or wisely leave before disaster struck, Custer stubbornly and proudly proclaimed, "No,
that would mean reversing a Custer order!" He was so enamored with himself, stubborn and proud and
egotistical, that he let it overrule his common sense! History tells us the rest of the story: he and his men
were slaughtered in the fight the next day. He felt so superior to everyone else, that common sense
wouldn't make a bit of difference- he would win the fight anyway because he was George Custer.
If that weren't bad enough, stubborn pride can cause the ultimate trouble. In the worst case scenario,
stubborn pride will cause you to rebel against God. This puts your ETERNAL SOUL in danger! Stubborn
pride can cause you to deny: the existence of God, the existence of Satan, the existence of heaven, the
existence of hell, the existence of sin, that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died on the cross to save you,
that Jesus rose again from the dead on the 3rd day, that He was sinless, or that the Bible is the Holy
Word of God, and more.
Stubborn pride promotes ‘SELF". This fly’s in the face of, and directly contradicts God's will, and
commands to us. As His children we are to deny self, and put our trust in God. Re-examine the 3
examples above. In each one, "self" is a driving force and motivation. This brings to mind the phrase,
"he's on SELF destruct." Denying God, His kingdom, laws, commands and commandments is a sure path
to "self-destruction".
God wrote His laws in our hearts at birth; yours, mine, everyone. (Heb. 10:16). Over the course of
time you can choose to ignore His laws so many times, they do not surface anymore from your
"conscience". This is called "searing your conscience", or "hardening your heart'". It is the Holy Spirit who
provides conviction of sin, to us. As one hardens their heart towards God and His laws, you suppress, or
quench the Holy Spirit. Stubborn pride provides fuel to both hardening your heart and quenching the Holy
Spirit. It promotes "self'". SELF AND GOD ARE NOT COMPATIBLE, friend. "YOU CANNOT SERVE
TWO MASTERS." (Mt. 6:24) Pride and stubbornness will gladly be YOUR master, if you allow!
Pride is especially bad because it inevitably leads to rebellion. Rebellion leads directly to conflict with
God. The proud can expect NOTHING from God. James 4:6 - "... God resisteth the proud, but giveth
grace unto the humble." The proud will resist God and will not yield to Him, nor His will. God will not be
able to accomplish His will or special plan in your life.
Stubborn pride is an illusion. You think YOU are in control, but in reality, YOU ARE BEING
CONTROLLED BY THEM. Living a life controlled by stubborn pride is like walking thru life in a miry
quicksand- the only direction you will go is down! It keeps you in BONDAGE.
Do you think millions and millions of Christians are lying to you when they witness to you? Even
faced with the possibility of eternity in hell do you stubbornly remain unmoved? Do you think that billions
of Christians down through history are mistaken or that they are truly all crazy... just not thinking right?
Would you step back and maybe consider that it's you who is wrong and not thinking right? What if it’s
you who is wrong and not them? What if, God forbid, there is a heaven and a hell?
TAKE BACK WHAT RIGHTFULLY BELONGS TO YOU: YOUR LIFE AND YOUR ETERNAL
FUTURE! Put away stubborn pride and all its pitfalls, dangers and troubles, before it puts you away- for
good! Humble yourself before the Lord. When you do this, He will lift you up out of the quicksand and
place your feet on a solid rock- Jesus Christ. Confess to Him that you are stubborn and prideful. It will not
be news to Him- He knows you better than you even know yourself! Ask Him to forgive you and to help
you overcome it. Surrender control to Him. He will lead you down the correct path in life. Pray this out
loud and mean it from your heart. "Lord I am a sinner. I have let pride and stubbornness come between
us. Forgive me and help me to overcome this attitude in my life. I will trust you to deliver me from this in
Jesus name. Amen!"
If you have not already given your life to Him, pray the sinner's prayer right now.
"Jesus, I am a sinner. I believe you are the Son of God and that you died on the cross to save me. Come
into my heart and save me. Wash me clean of ALL my sins. Be my Lord and Savior. In Jesus name,
Amen!"

Last edited by Joint heir with jesus; 10-28-2013 at 12:59 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Atheists are like Custer?...... ookaaay.

What a hoot.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 AM

691 posts, read 641,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Pride: an inordinate attitude of self-esteem, arrogance; HAUGHTINESS; perpetual vanity
However, not all pride is bad: you may be proud of your culture or nationality, if you were not born or
raised here in this country. Likewise, not all stubbornness is bad: if you are standing up for the helpless,
or hopeless, or for good, moral Christian values; if you refuse to give in to evil etc.. that's a good thing.
When the nature and extent of pride and stubbornness (or both) goes beyond the boundaries of
"acceptable" and into "excessive", TROUBLE is sure to follow! It would be safe to assume there are
different degrees or levels of trouble you could fall into. A beautiful, shapely woman may let her ego and
pride run rampant. She may be so impressed with her looks that she is constantly primping and looking in
the mirror- a "mirror-a-holic"; basically, admiring herself. She constantly has the need to look perfect, so
others will perceive her that way. In truth, she may be perceived by others as being "vain" or narcissistic.
Sometimes "beautiful" people lead very lonely lives, with not too many true friends. They may attract
multitudes, but many times have few very close friends. One day she may need help, only to find there's
no-one around. People who know "beautiful" people may be friendly to their face, but will roll their eyes up
A wealthy man may go out in public in a $750.00 suit, $200.00 shoes, silk tie etc... As he steps out of
his stretch limo, people on the street may see him as "flaunting" his wealth; rubbing it in, somehow.
Maybe he is. Maybe he likes the way the ladies flirt with him, or how they shoot inviting looks his way.
Maybe he likes how the waiters and waitresses fall all over him, giving him special attention and service.
Do they do this because he deserves it; because he is a V.I.P.? In most cases, they are just hoping he'll
toss a little green their way. If he's not very, very careful, it won't take him long to love his money more
than everything else in the world. He may become excessively prideful of his money, and accomplishments (if any!). "Pride goeth before destruction" (Pr. 16:18).
The 16 year old, ecstatic over finally getting his driver’s license, may drive around recklessly, racing
or stubbornly refuse to obey the rules of the road. This kind of trouble endangers and can seriously injure
or kill themselves and any innocent family of people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Pride and stubbornness can go hand in hand, and very often work together against people’s lives.
They can feed off each other, somehow, as if they were related. A person cannot hide extreme stubborn
pride. It has a way of revealing itself to others and to the person it's possessing. This possession can lead
to extremely BAD CHOICES IN LIFE!!! I'll give an example: I saw a movie many years ago about Col.
George Custer (Custer's last stand). He was as full of himself, egotistical and as full of stubborn pride as
a human being ever portrayed in a movie. New information came to him in which he was informed that he
was helplessly outnumbered and out flanked by the Indian nation he was to engage in battle with the next
day. When asked by one of his underlings whether they should delay the fight and call for
re-enforcements or wisely leave before disaster struck, Custer stubbornly and proudly proclaimed, "No,
that would mean reversing a Custer order!" He was so enamored with himself, stubborn and proud and
egotistical, that he let it overrule his common sense! History tells us the rest of the story: he and his men
were slaughtered in the fight the next day. He felt so superior to everyone else, that common sense
wouldn't make a bit of difference- he would win the fight anyway because he was George Custer.
If that weren't bad enough, stubborn pride can cause the ultimate trouble. In the worst case scenario,
stubborn pride will cause you to rebel against God. This puts your ETERNAL SOUL in danger! Stubborn
pride can cause you to deny: the existence of God, the existence of Satan, the existence of heaven, the
existence of hell, the existence of sin, that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died on the cross to save you,
that Jesus rose again from the dead on the 3rd day, that He was sinless, or that the Bible is the Holy
Word of God, and more.
Stubborn pride promotes ‘SELF". This fly’s in the face of, and directly contradicts God's will, and
commands to us. As His children we are to deny self, and put our trust in God. Re-examine the 3
examples above. In each one, "self" is a driving force and motivation. This brings to mind the phrase,
"he's on SELF destruct." Denying God, His kingdom, laws, commands and commandments is a sure path
to "self-destruction".
God wrote His laws in our hearts at birth; yours, mine, everyone. (Heb. 10:16). Over the course of
time you can choose to ignore His laws so many times, they do not surface anymore from your
"conscience". This is called "searing your conscience", or "hardening your heart'". It is the Holy Spirit who
provides conviction of sin, to us. As one hardens their heart towards God and His laws, you suppress, or
quench the Holy Spirit. Stubborn pride provides fuel to both hardening your heart and quenching the Holy
Spirit. It promotes "self'". SELF AND GOD ARE NOT COMPATIBLE, friend. "YOU CANNOT SERVE
TWO MASTERS." (Mt. 6:24) Pride and stubbornness will gladly be YOUR master, if you allow!
Pride is especially bad because it inevitably leads to rebellion. Rebellion leads directly to conflict with
God. The proud can expect NOTHING from God. James 4:6 - "... God resisteth the proud, but giveth
grace unto the humble." The proud will resist God and will not yield to Him, nor His will. God will not be
Stubborn pride is an illusion. You think YOU are in control, but in reality, YOU ARE BEING
CONTROLLED BY THEM. Living a life controlled by stubborn pride is like walking thru life in a miry
Do you think millions and millions of Christians are lying to you when they witness to you? Even
faced with the possibility of eternity in hell do you stubbornly remain unmoved? Do you think that billions
of Christians down through history are mistaken or that they are truly all crazy... just not thinking right?
Would you step back and maybe consider that it's you who is wrong and not thinking right? What if it’s
you who is wrong and not them? What if, God forbid, there is a heaven and a hell?
FUTURE! Put away stubborn pride and all its pitfalls, dangers and troubles, before it puts you away- for
good! Humble yourself before the Lord. When you do this, He will lift you up out of the quicksand and
place your feet on a solid rock- Jesus Christ. Confess to Him that you are stubborn and prideful. It will not
be news to Him- He knows you better than you even know yourself! Ask Him to forgive you and to help
you overcome it. Surrender control to Him. He will lead you down the correct path in life. Pray this out
loud and mean it from your heart. "Lord I am a sinner. I have let pride and stubbornness come between
us. Forgive me and help me to overcome this attitude in my life. I will trust you to deliver me from this in
Jesus name. Amen!"
If you have not already given your life to Him, pray the sinner's prayer right now.
"Jesus, I am a sinner. I believe you are the Son of God and that you died on the cross to save me. Come
into my heart and save me. Wash me clean of ALL my sins. Be my Lord and Savior. In Jesus name,
Amen!"

Who did Jesus come to call to repentance, the sinners or the righteous?

I believe that they shall one day too see the glorious face of the Father.

Didn't it answer all your doubts and questions when the Father had drawn you to CHIRST?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
The claims there is a god remain unsubstantiated and as such atheists do not accept the claim.

Repeatedly presenting the same unsubstantiated claims will not change the response.

It appears the OP is (likely willfully) misconstruing CONSISTENCY as "stubbornness" in a poor propaganda attempt to present atheists in a bad light.

Another one of these I guess.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
I know nothing more arrogant than the belief that the creator of the universe cares whether your football team wins, whether you have a job, whether you find a new car to buy, whether you pass an algebra test, or any of the other silly things for which theists pray.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
You have mad copy and paste skills.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Do you think millions and millions of Christians are lying to you when they witness to you?
No, they're [mostly] just honestly mistaken. Give me a reason to change my mind and I will.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Word of God, and more.
to "self-destruction".
Jesus name. Amen!"
Amen!"

What if, god forbid, Santa really exists? Has pride and stubbornness hardened your heart against him? Do you think millions of children are lying?
Would you step back and maybe consider that it's you who is wrong and not thinking right? What if it’s you who is wrong and not them?

Put away stubborn pride and all its pitfalls, dangers and troubles, before it puts you away- for good!
Humble yourself before Santa. When you do this, He will lift you up out of bed and into his sleigh.

Confess to Him that you are stubborn and prideful and a naughty boy. It will not be news to Him- He knows you better than you even know yourself!
Ask Him to forgive you and to help you overcome it. Surrender control to Him. He will come down your chimney with presents.

Sing this out loud and mean it from your heart:

You better watch out, You better not cry
You better not pout, I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

He's making a list, Checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake

Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Quote:
Word of God, and more.
to "self-destruction".
Jesus name. Amen!"
Amen!"

Font Fail!!!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The claims there is a god remain unsubstantiated and as such atheists do not accept the claim.

Repeatedly presenting the same unsubstantiated claims will not change the response.

It appears the OP is (likely willfully) misconstruing CONSISTENCY as "stubbornness" in a poor propaganda attempt to present atheists in a bad light.

Another one of these I guess.
The OP is also being a bit willfully blind and stubborn himself. If he would get to know those he is trying to convert, he would find out that quite a few of us have already been there and done that. His wall o' text is useless to people like me. In addition to not having provided any additional evidence, he is is asking us to "taste and see that the Lord is good." I did that, I devoted my life to Christ and followed him with all the sincerity and conviction I had in me. I did all the things he is advocating, and the end result is I did not find that the Lord was good, I found Christianity to be empty , hollow, and baseless, and God himself to be either indifferent or nonexistent. Trying to tell us that our lives are lacking and everything will be better if we just come to Jesus is almost laughable to those of us who experience the "the fruit of the Spirit" (love joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) more with no God belief than we ever did as believers. We know what he is selling, we have been there, and we found it to be hokum at best, damaging and debilitating at worst.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality