Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I like his other graph that only goes up to IQ 110. Thats 15 points below my tested result when I was in high school.
I don't have anything to say about any correlation between intelligence and importance of religion. But, I did want to take this opportunity to say something about IQ scores. I am trained to administer the WAIS and the WISC, which are the most common intelligence tests psychologists use. IQ scores are based on a comparison with others the same age as the person one is evaluating. As with so many things with children, some kids are early bloomers, but their peers may catch up. A child may be in the 85 percentile for height among his peers one day, but then 1 year later be in 50 percentile. The child did not shrink, but his peers caught up such that he is now average among his peers.

Similarly, one should not infer from an IQ score a person received as a teen, that they still sit in such an advantageous position relative to their peers as an adult. However, generally, if a teen was quite a bit higher than their peers in intelligence, then they probably still are higher than average as an adult, but it is difficult to predict an adult IQ score from an adolescent IQ score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I don't have anything to say about any correlation between intelligence and importance of religion. But, I did want to take this opportunity to say something about IQ scores. I am trained to administer the WAIS and the WISC, which are the most common intelligence tests psychologists use. IQ scores are based on a comparison with others the same age as the person one is evaluating. As with so many things with children, some kids are early bloomers, but their peers may catch up. A child may be in the 85 percentile for height among his peers one day, but then 1 year later be in 50 percentile. The child did not shrink, but his peers caught up such that he is now average among his peers.

Similarly, one should not infer from an IQ score a person received as a teen, that they still sit in such an advantageous position relative to their peers as an adult. However, generally, if a teen was quite a bit higher than their peers in intelligence, then they probably still are higher than average as an adult, but it is difficult to predict an adult IQ score from an adolescent IQ score.
My experience bears that out. I had a genius-level IQ as a teen, and a near-genius level in college. By the time I was 30 I'd been downgraded to "pretty sharp". Nowadays I'm just a smartass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality