Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:56 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,370,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think moschiach is going to have a very tough time convincing all humans that he/she is the Messiah.
I agree. But then he won't be anything special if he's not totally compelling. Remember, moschiach isn't going to be some sort of man-god, or voodoo spirit, or anythig other than just a man who makes a difference in the world.

Quote:
So I guess that if even one aborigine in the Australian outback refuses to go along with a would-be moschiach, then it proves that the moschiach poser is not the real Messiah
The messianic age is supposed to last 1,000 years by some opinions. Messiah himself will die in the first 120 years of that time period. Then we're in it for ourselves. We're the ones who gotta make it work. You and me both - no matter what backgrounds we come from - believing or not. We can't just sit back and think some deity is going to make things better. Or "save" us. It's up to us humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,899,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
The messianic age is supposed to last 1,000 years by some opinions. Messiah himself will die in the first 120 years of that time period. Then we're in it for ourselves. We're the ones who gotta make it work. You and me both - no matter what backgrounds we come from - believing or not.
This is very interesting. Thanks for explaining it.

So why should I care? I mean, I will die before the Messiah does, so nothing will happen to me, will it?

The Christians seem to have a better way to scare people into belonging to their religion. If you haven't accepted Jesus as your lord and savior when the Rapture happens (i.e. their Messiah returns), then you are gonna burn in the Lake of Fire. Now THAT'S religion!!

Last edited by hiker45; 08-26-2012 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
This is very interesting. Thanks for explaining it.

So why should I care? I mean, I will die before the Messiah does, so nothing will happen to me, will it?

The Christians seem to have a better way to scare people into belonging to their religion. If you haven't accepted Jesus as your lord and savior when the Rapture happens (i.e. their Messiah returns), then you are gonna burn in the Lake of Fire. Now THAT'S religion!!
I can't speak for the Chrstian religion - I really don't know much about it.

But why should you care? Because Hashem will restore souls to dead bodies at the conclusion on the messianic era. The dead will come back to life. And what you accomplished on this earth will determine your fate from that point forward. You Hiker, and your fellow non-Jews, will be judged against the 7 Noahide laws (I'll be judged against the 613 mitzvahs found in the Torah). And since you don't believe the Jesus myth, at least your not violating your obligation to avoid idol worship (one of the 7 Noahide laws).

Old 08-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Hashem will restore souls to dead bodies at the conclusion on the messianic era. The dead will come back to life. And what you accomplished on this earth will determine your fate from that point forward. You Hiker, and your fellow non-Jews, will be judged against the 7 Noahide laws
I am learning a lot here, and it doesn't sound good.

When I am dead, I want to stay dead. Let me rest in peace. Can't your god just mind his own business and leave me alone?

But since the messianic age will last for 1000 years, my poor remains will be just a pile of dust, so maybe your god will forget that I ever lived. If it comes to that, please don't remind him to wake me up, OK?

Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
please don't remind him to wake me up, OK?
Life can be tough at times. Often it's confusing. We live in a world that is essentially grey and cloudy. But the messianic age is supposed to be a time of great sharpness and clarity - with a good bit of bliss mixed into the salad. Don't sell yourself short, Hiker. I know you to be a real thinker, and an independant thinker at that. It just might be that you don't know what you'll be missing.

But I'll tell you what. Out of the respect that I already have for you - I will indeed leave you alone should you turn to dust and moschiach come. You've earned that much...

Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
Quote:
...I'll be judged against the 613 mitzvahs found in the Torah...
So whats a passing score? Do attempts count? Are the one's you've decided not to follow thus they don't really count and are deducted as countable towards the final score?

Like:
Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people; neither shalt thou stand idly by the blood of thy neighbour

Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thy heart; thou shalt surely rebuke thy neighbour, and not bear sin because of him.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0319.htm

http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,984,040 times
Quote:
Should Israel be a "Jewish state"?

By the way, what does it mean for Israel to be a "Jewish state"? Seriously, I have no idea.

According to what I find on the internet, Israel is 75% Jewish and the USA is 80% Christian. If Israel is to be a "Jewish state', should the USA be a "Christian state"?
As I am not a citizen of Israel I find that it's none of my business.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the comments, Flipflop. You have been very patient answering my questions.

Quote:
the messianic age is supposed to be a time of great sharpness and clarity - with a good bit of bliss mixed into the salad.
What happens to the souls that are brought back to life and the messiah judges to be not worthy? Like Charles Manson.

I get the impression that some Christians think these souls are sentenced to damnation and Eternal Torment (ET). Other Christians think their god will eventually bring all of the souls together in Universal Reconciliation (UR). The ET and UR Christians have some very heated debates. Another group of Christians think the bad souls are simply Annihilated and are lost forever. What do you think?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, Flipflop. You have been very patient answering my questions.

What happens to the souls that are brought back to life and the messiah judges to be not worthy? Like Charles Manson.

I get the impression that some Christians think these souls are sentenced to damnation and Eternal Torment (ET). Other Christians think their god will eventually bring all of the souls together in Universal Reconciliation (UR). The ET and UR Christians have some very heated debates. Another group of Christians think the bad souls are simply Annihilated and are lost forever. What do you think?
The Chrstians borrowed the annihilated souls business from us Jews, but (as usual) they mis-applied the concept. They think it applies to those who are not "saved." We Jews believe the annihilated soul only applies to the most unredeemable of low lifes, aka, Charles Manson, Hitler, Jimmy Carter, etc. Everybody else gets to do t'shuvah (sort of a repairing of the soul). The thought is that 99.9% will get to Olam Haba (the world to come), including muslims, chrstians, and even NeilVA who seems to want to pick a fight with me in this thread and another in the politics forum.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
Quote:
We Jews believe the annihilated soul only applies to the most unredeemable of low lifes, aka, Charles Manson, Hitler, Jimmy Carter, etc.
Where does it say in the Torah that one is considered unredeemable based on a small portion of their lives rather than their whole life?

Here. I'll even give locations to look through:

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0223.htm

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0501.htm

Quote:
....and even NeilVA ....
I question your statements, and instead of responding to them you drop down to starting personal attacks? Just another violation of the 613 Mitzvot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality