Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times

Advertisements

Well, this photo thread basically sums up what Burning Man is all about: Pagan symbolism, strange costumes, and radical performance art, and dancing all night.

Burning Man 2012 - In Focus - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Oh Lordie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm no religious fanatic, but EVERYONE I know that raves over "Burning Man" is an idiot in my book. While it may not be a Satanic Woodstock, it's a New Millenium granola Woodstock, in a bleak God-forsaken location to boot.
Yalk about a biased outlook! Yes, it is a rather open and creative event, but it is what it is, a very creative and unfettered philosophical event. So what if it's out in the dry foreboding desert? So is Las Vegas (which is, in fact, near-by, and a whole lot more sinful, btw...) I'm only sad that a) I can't afford it, and b), it'd be a bit too hard on my aging bod or to try to keep up with all those youthful or at least less creaky celebrants.

http://blog.hostelbookers.com/wp-con...0920241599.jpg

and...

http://belindabentley.com/Public/wp-...PictureMan.jpg

and...

http://z.about.com/d/sanfrancisco/1/...ing_Man_10.jpg

and...

http://www.rendez-vous-wiki.com/img_...urning-man.jpg

Of course, in any free-spirit celebration, you'll get some of this...

http://z.about.com/d/sanfrancisco/1/...ing_Man_04.jpg

...but so what? Avert thine eyes if thou art offended by reality! (as in any episode of "The Real Wives of New Jersey")

rpg, you really ought to open up your mind and go watch some of the many MANY YouTube vids on it.

Imagine: coming down in your fellow man for simply having unfettered fun! (PS: I happen to know that there have not been any riots, goat sacrifices, or human virgins being offered up to Satan, etc.)

Why is it that smug-minded, holier-than-thou!!! Christians get so all tar-and-feather-ish when they see others that simply don't go in the exact-same mandatory proscribed direction as their buy-bull book or minister gloatingly requires of them?

Sadly, this reminds me of the Rush Limbaugh mentality (and for sure; let God save us all from his puritanical [but also personally drug-soaked...] version of this world...)

It all reminds me of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...on%2C_1900.jpg

or perhaps this...

http://atheistdave.files.wordpress.c...-pat.jpg?w=584

(Imagine a world thought-controlled by the likes of this sanctimonious toadie! I think I'd rather kill myself!)

Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
I guess part of what impresses me about this festival is that they build it and tear it down with a Leave no Trace ethic. It's rather amazing considering the size of the camp.

Burning Man: Environment: Leave No Trace

Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
I would have no doubt that, for the majority of Americans, Burning Man would have a bad vibe.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
A new-age, desperate excuse to gather in a foresaken area, act out, act badly and be foolish. Pathetic! No value added!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Yalk about a biased outlook!
It's not near Las Vegas. It's in northern Nevada ... really, really far from LV.

I've worked with people who went to it. If they represent what Burning Man attendees are like, then "no effin way."

It's kind of like this: I don't need to swim in the ocean off Cape Cod these days to know a great white might want to snack on me.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:42 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I would have no doubt that, for the majority of Americans, Burning Man would have a bad vibe.
And why would that be ? Because of the Pagan stuff going on? You know a LOT of what is part of Christianity today was a Pagan practice in the past.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 AM

434 posts, read 342,557 times
I think it's pretty impressive for something this size. That overhead shot of the entire settled area, apparently very well laid out... the fact it's on a desert flat and they truck in water and facilities... pretty intense.

Doubtful I would ever try to attend, unless I had me a rented super RV. And some mischievous performance art concept

Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, this photo thread basically sums up what Burning Man is all about: Pagan symbolism, strange costumes, and radical performance art, and dancing all night.

Burning Man 2012 - In Focus - The Atlantic
It looks sorta a mix of the Edinborough festival, Glastonbury and the Tate modern, dumped in the desert.

An 'Event' or festival of 'events'. Even the burning of the wooden temple reminded me of a Thai Royal cremation that I once attended, done just for the atmosphere of the event.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Most of what I know about Burning man comes from what I have read in arts journals, and seen in arts documentaires. I have not been, I want to go, I am not sure how it has evolved away from the performance art ideal, but according to the posts here, it is significant.

To the OP, I once had a Christian Fundy evangelical pastor tell me it was Satanic to eat Chinese food. If he were still alive today, I'd send him videos of Sunday mornings at the Thai temple of mysef and my son eating Thai food (Thai being geographically close to China) and on the grounds of a Buddhist (non Christian) compound, just to reinforce the placement of the Ambrosia artemisiifolia that I left in his distal alimentary canal the last time we talked.
I have little to no respect for thesetypes of pastors, I am not hostile or aggresive to them, but I have no trouble telling them that they are full of impacted fecal material when neccesary. Which would have been my response had I been there, but clearly you are more tolerant of him than I would be.

Point remains if I want to go to Burning Man, I will go, but I will not go without a decent artistic statement to present to the cliquish attendees who apparentll have to get back to their mom's basements where they love before sundown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality