Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times

Advertisements

Here's a video with Dr. Michio Kaku, the esteemed and socially conscious doctor and social science philosopher who quite simply lays out the problem in America.

Dr. Michio Kaku Says America Has A Secret Super Weapon - YouTube

This ties into religion in precisely this way:

The religious do not, in general, support scientific education, scientific research and honest scientifically-derived understanding. On the contrary, they vigorously deny it all. It all came about through magic, supernatural powers, all thoroughly debunked now, but hey... who cares, huh?

Other countries, such as China, India, Japan and many other so-called third-world countries who know when to secularize their societal governances are now starting up their own high tech zones, unhampered by antiquated religious curricula that originate at the grade school level here in dumb old America. Switch to "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" or "Hour of Power" or Kent Hovind's so-called scientific proof of God proclamations. Amazing! Organized, formalized stupidity on display!

As Dr. Kaku duly notes, what we blithely and arrogantly assume to be some magical American technical superiority actually lies with all those H1B Work Visas granted to over 50% of our current cohort of superior technical, engineering and scientific minds. When they all go back home, as they are now doing, we lose. Big time.

No? You don't agree? Well...here. Watch this for a while as you realize we don't hold all the Big Secrets!

MAKS 2011 Russian sensation stealth Sukhoi PAK-FA_T-50 5th generation jet fighter - YouTube

You doubt it? OK... wait and see. See what an absolutist's reality denial & unwavering religious mindset, based in Southern Baptist thinking about the real world and how it actually works, coupled with late 1800's fright-based thinking in our school science & math curricula will and is doing to our future economic opportunities.

Congrats to the stolid, concrete-mind-set crowd. You got it, guys! Thanks! (Oh, and PTL! He'll save us!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Wink Correction!

Note: On a re-read of my own post just now (several hours later), I can see where a reader might get some wrong ideas! I blithely stated:

"The religious do not, in general, support scientific education, scientific research and honest scientifically-derived understanding. On the contrary, they vigorously deny it all. "

Well, that's obviously too broad a paintbrush, and I didn't mean it quite that way!

What I meant to say that the religious choose to selectively deny certain topics or areas of science that prove, beyond any shred of a rational doubt, such facts as Evolution, a truly ancient earth history that extends back many multi-millions of years rather than a mere Creationist's 6036, the obviously incomplete, constantly expanding Big Bang-formed universe (versus the fully formed and finished Instant-Universe of The Greater Creation myth..), that danged fossil record showing many of our past-distant ancestors (but oddly... no leashed and tethered tame village T-Rex's amongst the artifacts of our past tribal cousins...) and so on.

Sorry. I don't want to step on religious people's obviously logical (and also very convenient... ) Selective Acceptance of: lasers, flat-screen LED HD-TVs, satellite systems, lunar landings, automotive fuel injection systems, ultra-sound generated images of babies in utero, MRIs, space travel, gas-powered leaf blowers, and so on.

That stuff's obviously A-OK, inn'it? Science just all falls completely and ethically apart if or when that imaginary line in the sand, where scientific investigation rubs amok of absolutist & inerrant biblical literalism, is so impertinently crossed...

Tsk tsk.... Dah Noyvvv!

So again, my point is that the severely limited acceptance, by America's earnest theists, of The SM and it's results has tethered and constrained our school kid's abilities to partake of the most open-minded outlooks in science that has led our international competitors to have such a broad base of learned scientists. Our loss!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Pretty sad when you have to bump your own thread.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 PM

259 posts, read 366,151 times
I'm so sick of these qasi-philosophers with their misquided ,ignorant responses to what they perceive as religions denial of science and slam dunking a mindset they don't have and don't want! The opening statements that give them away as clueless is the use of the word "religion" rather than "christian" not having the slightest inside lane to evangelicals distancing themselves from organized religion! They don't get that nor are they able to. Now make no mistake people of all religions are a quart low on science with the exception of christian scientists and those of religion ! The average person is clueless about science and most don't care about science! What is your point other than mumbling senselessly like a fool about an area your totally ignoant about . Riflman you need to stick with your rifles as you entered the twilight zone on the wrong topic too technical for you . Now you have me wondering whether or not to renew my Popular Science subscription and my church members were just about to convert a volvo with a hydrogen fuel cell and join the NorwaHyNor Project ....geez hey! Kaku is partially right but we have
among the best engineers and scientists in the world here in thy e US and yes many are foriegn (60%) and our educational system is plagued by "not enough" qualified instructures in science.

Last edited by Rabbidave; 10-24-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Pretty sad when you have to bump your own thread.
This... is the best you can do when I just wanted to head off some potential misunderstandings by admitting my too-hasty wordage? Oh well, what could I have otherwise expected from you Mr5150, after reading your deflective posts all these years? Instead of a thoughtful & rational commentary relating to the OP?

Yup. My best understandings confirmed.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbidave View Post
I'm so sick of these qasi-philosophers with their misquided ,ignorant responses to what they perceive as religions denial of science and slam dunking a mindset they don't have and don't want! The opening statements that give them away as clueless is the use of the word "religion" rather than "christian" not having the slightest inside lane to evangelicals distancing themselves from organized religion! They don't get that nor are they able to. Now make no mistake people of all religions are a quart low on science with the exception of christian scientists and those of religion ! The average person is clueless about science and most don't care about science! What is your point other than mumbling senselessly like a fool about an area your totally ignoant about . Riflman you need to stick with your rifles as you entered the twilight zone on the wrong topic too technical for you . Now you have me wondering whether or not to renew my Popular Science subscription and my church members were just about to convert a volvo with a hydrogen fuel cell and join the NorwaHyNor Project ....geez hey! Kaku is partially right but we have
among the best engineers and scientists in the world here in the US and yes many are foriegn (60%) and our educational system is plagued by "not enough" qualified instructures in science.
Well! Thank you for confirming all my points, Rabbidave! You openly confirm that...

√ the avg. person is clueless about science;

√ the religious are a quart low on science;

√ the best engineers in the world are here in numbers, but 60% are foreigners, which is worse than even Dr. Kaku noted, and;

√ our education system is plagued by not enough qualified or promoted or recognized science types.

Wonderful! Glad you saw my point. And so... thx to the rabid theists for promulgating and maintaining this educational inequality, unequaled anywhere else in the "rapidly passing us by!" world!

(Or, alternately, you can point out just exactly where my post's points were so very wrong? I'll wait patiently.)

{Cue the Overly arrogant American, about his country's technological "edge": ("Those dumb vodka-swizzling Rooskies & Chinese! They'll never beat our stealth, aerospace, bio-electronics & digital technologies, you just watch!")}

So... Your point is? (Oh and btw, I'm probably just a tiny bit more technical than you could even hope to be. With those interesting and far-reaching backgrounds, I've sadly seen my specific areas of advanced biology, genetics, engineering, geology & hobby electronics interests (HAM satellite communications) bypassed by, well, everyone else in the world.

Used to be something we Americans (and even my ex-countrymen, the once-proud Canucks, with the stunningly advanced Mach 2.2 '57 Canadian Avro Arrow...) could be proud of, but staunch religious restrainerism and curriculum infiltration made short work of those past accomplishments! You go pat yourselves on your collective backs, OK?)

http://i.qkme.me/35pe69.jpg

(Yeah, I know: fly by wire, Mach 2.2+, all-weather interceptor, in-body armament bays, semi-stealth shape, and quite capable of catching the first SR-71s. All in 1955 - '57. And all lost to a fearful American government, one hampered by relentless philosophical interference in their education systems. Hint: Re-listen to Michio Kaku instead of getting your back up!)

Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 AM

584 posts, read 598,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Note: On a re-read of my own post just now (several hours later), I can see where a reader might get some wrong ideas! I blithely stated:

"The religious do not, in general, support scientific education, scientific research and honest scientifically-derived understanding. On the contrary, they vigorously deny it all. "

Well, that's obviously too broad a paintbrush, and I didn't mean it quite that way!

What I meant to say that the religious choose to selectively deny certain topics or areas of science that prove, beyond any shred of a rational doubt, such facts as Evolution, a truly ancient earth history that extends back many multi-millions of years rather than a mere Creationist's 6036, the obviously incomplete, constantly expanding Big Bang-formed universe (versus the fully formed and finished Instant-Universe of The Greater Creation myth..), that danged fossil record showing many of our past-distant ancestors (but oddly... no leashed and tethered tame village T-Rex's amongst the artifacts of our past tribal cousins...) and so on.
And you obviously continue to paint too broadly. I know of not one single person in my synagogue who rejects evolution or Big-Bang cosmology. You view society through a prism of soft anti-theist bigotry and it does little for your credibility. My honest suggestion would be: stop seeking to naively define the world by what you think you're against. The result is most often wrong and too often silly.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Here's a video with Dr. Michio Kaku, the esteemed and socially conscious doctor and social science philosopher who quite simply lays out the problem in America.

Dr. Michio Kaku Says America Has A Secret Super Weapon - YouTube

This ties into religion in precisely this way:

The religious do not, in general, support scientific education, scientific research and honest scientifically-derived understanding. On the contrary, they vigorously deny it all. It all came about through magic, supernatural powers, all thoroughly debunked now, but hey... who cares, huh?

Other countries, such as China, India, Japan and many other so-called third-world countries who know when to secularize their societal governances are now starting up their own high tech zones, unhampered by antiquated religious curricula that originate at the grade school level here in dumb old America. Switch to "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" or "Hour of Power" or Kent Hovind's so-called scientific proof of God proclamations. Amazing! Organized, formalized stupidity on display!

As Dr. Kaku duly notes, what we blithely and arrogantly assume to be some magical American technical superiority actually lies with all those H1B Work Visas granted to over 50% of our current cohort of superior technical, engineering and scientific minds. When they all go back home, as they are now doing, we lose. Big time.

No? You don't agree? Well...here. Watch this for a while as you realize we don't hold all the Big Secrets!

MAKS 2011 Russian sensation stealth Sukhoi PAK-FA_T-50 5th generation jet fighter - YouTube

You doubt it? OK... wait and see. See what an absolutist's reality denial & unwavering religious mindset, based in Southern Baptist thinking about the real world and how it actually works, coupled with late 1800's fright-based thinking in our school science & math curricula will and is doing to our future economic opportunities.

Congrats to the stolid, concrete-mind-set crowd. You got it, guys! Thanks! (Oh, and PTL! He'll save us!)
First off let me say that I am not religious...I am spiritual...a huge difference. I agree that people do tend to let their religious beliefs rule their lives...even in the face of astounding evidence. It is foolish to deny that evidence based on some very old man made archaic books. With that said, it is my opinion that since our Source set up the Universe and the laws of the Universe...it would seem to me that our Source wants us to know about these things...to deny the obvious evidence of our creation, how it came about and the laws that it survives by, is just denying the Source that did it all.

The world is changing and people are becoming, not only, more educated but more consciously aware of who they are and what is needed in order for us all to, not only survive, but to thrive. I am confident that the archaic beliefs people hold about our Universe and the Source that created it, will one day be revised the more and more we learn. There is nothing magical or impossible for us to understand about our creation or the creation of the Universe...it is something we will know fully one day...and I believe that is as it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality