Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 AM

70 posts, read 237,893 times

Advertisements

I am not an expert. I have not been to Church for years. I'm just curious and figured if anyone knows about this it would be you folks here.

That said, my Dad was a minister and raised us by himself after our mother left, so I grew up without a mother. Dad always said that God ordained the man as head of the house, and that the wife should submit to her husband in ALL things. He also said that anytime a woman ruled the house there was going to be trouble. Consequently, I submitted to my husband in all things right up to his death.

Here's the thing, Dad once said that God said women should be silent in the Church. I can't seem to find this in my KJV Bible. Does anyone here know if or where this scripture is in the Bible? Does it even exist?

This got me to wondering that if God truly said women should be silent in the Church, then does God intend that women should not vote either? Your thoughts on this?

My Dad passed away six years ago and my husband passed away two years ago. So please don't bash my Dad as he was my only parent. Please also don't bash each other. I just want to know if it really says that in the Bible.

Thanks,
Jeanette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times
Not sure about women having to be silent, don't think that is true, but they are not supposed to be ministers or have power over men AFAIK

Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 AM

428 posts, read 331,098 times
1 Cor 14:34

women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,236,526 times
Women should always be silent....it would make things less confusing....and no shopping could help in the savings department...Just a thought.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:02 PM

are women allowed to sing in the Church?

anyway, when it says 'women are not allowed to speak', this is not meant to be literally, but rather that they should not speak an opinion.

they should be submissive in church and not display their sexuality - because this is what causes temptation.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
when it says 'women are not allowed to speak', this is not meant to be literally, but rather that they should not speak an opinion.
Says who? You are inputting your own interpretation to make it more palatable to modern ears. The words mean exactly what they say. There is no nuance involved here. In fact, Corinthians goes on to say that she can only speak when she gets home "for it is a shame for women to speak in the church". Besides, I thought god's word was infallible, so who are you to change the meaning of "god's word?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
they should be submissive in church and not display their sexuality - because this is what causes temptation.
Yeah, right. Because displaying sexuality in church was such a problem in biblical times, right? Where do you get these crazy interpretations? There is no mention of anything that can remotely be interpreted as temptation or sexually-related anywhere near this passage. Your explanation is silly and obviously made up.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 AM

'it's a shame for women to speak in church' - ok , it's a shame - but this is not the same as prohibition.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
My thoughts ? I have a brain to think, emotions, and a voice to speak. If I were not meant to use these, I would not have been given them. If any religion tells me different, that is not the religion for me.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,236,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Women should always be silent....it would make things less confusing....and no shopping could help in the savings department...Just a thought.

Ofcourse I was Just kidding about the above....But in light of what Eve did do with her charming ways to Adam, and in connection to listening to Satan or the opposer of God's words....We the Human state of Goodness, Put a limitation on what Women can say, and when they can say it...

This is why Women are made to hold their tongues in the holy places, as their disobediance was primarily accounted as the primary reason for the fall of Humankind from Grace with God.

Hence because Adam in the first degree, (before the split) was obediant..he has been tested and fulfilled until the split....So something went wrong when the split was made...maybe something got into the ordeal that was not taken note of...and infection, or biological entity...perhaps a virus?...in anycase...Eve was disobediant first...and supposedly out of Love for her Adam also went with her, and ate with her...as she charmed him and woooed him with her charms...to do what she had done.

In my observations though Adam was the only other speaking entity that we know of out of what God created...So I believe Adam hid behind a bush, and spoke as the serpent...to Eve...to see what would happen to her....of course this sort of thing is not in the text...But one could imagine..eh?

That being said...who is the liar?....Eve saying a snake or serpent spoke to her?....or Adam who states he ate the fruit out of love for her....when he was the one who made or got her to eat it , in disobediance ..to God....and when she did not die...he ate too....wonder why?

So the lie continues to this day...Man belittling women for a crime made many moons ago....and trying to take away reverance.

Jesus states "Forgiveness of sins"...it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man or women, But what comes out of it.....

Hence both should tie their tongues...and listen to the Lord..and do as the Lord says...there is no other way....only by Him...for him..we do...

That is the instruction....and we are suppose to get busy doing it....be good to one another, do no more sins and be forgiven....tend and keep the Garden well....no Idols...Give as God Gives.....this is what Jesus spoke, and did do....follow...no need to talk about it anymore eh?...proven!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality