Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times

Advertisements

At USA's churches, guys are few in the pews

Quote:
Women outnumber men in attendance in every major Christian denomination, and they are 20% to 25% more likely to attend worship at least weekly... The survey found 39% of U.S. adults — 45% of women and 34% of men — attend worship at least weekly... 31% of men... say they never go to church, not even on holidays
Is the notion of church attendance becoming an anachronism for males? A place for the ladies to gather on Sunday, while the guys hang back and do things around the house? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 09:19 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
I think that's been true for many, many years. Nothing new.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 12,949 times
Look how the church is handled. The songs i.e. "Let me lay my head on your breast" Lover of My Soul". Whatever happened to "Mighty Fortress is My God" or "Onward Christian Soldier". When was the last time you saw a picture of Jesus as a warrior, Exodus 15:3? Insted the church pictures have Jesus as a sissy long flowing hair and a long flowing evening gown. Really what man wants to hold another mans hand especially if your hand is the one that has to be the female hand (the under grip). What man in their right mind or left mind wants to confess their sins to a bunch of women. Who in the H came up with that one? Until the church grows a set and have men once again have the authority and rule we men might as well wear pink and just tell our fellowmen that there in nothing to fear about us weare effeminate!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 AM

57 posts, read 134,939 times
It's been that way for awhile. Churches are afraid to teach men to be men and anymore the Evangelical church is getting more touchy-feely.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
New research shows young Americans are dramatically less likely to go to church -- or to participate in any form of organized religion -- than their parents and grandparents.

"It's a huge change," says Harvard University professor Robert Putnam, who conducted the research.
Historically, the percentage of Americans who said they had no religious affiliation (pollsters refer to this group as the "nones") has been very small -- hovering between 5 percent and 10 percent. However, Putnam says the percentage of "nones" has now skyrocketed to between 30 percent and 40 percent among younger Americans.
Putnam calls this a "stunning development." He gave reporters a first glimpse of his data Tuesday at a conference on religion organized by the Pew Forum on Faith in Public Life.
The research will be included in a forthcoming book, called "American Grace."

Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
I think it's been like that for quite a long time. My Father never once attended church but my Mother has been a regular churchgoer her whole life and I think there's many couples like that. I don't think I've ever read a study that compared the number of females versus males who are religious or are atheists but it would be interesting to see what the figures are.
I also agree with the point that the younger generation appear to be much less interested in religion than their parents but again it would be interesting to compare the stats on the male versus female.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think it's been like that for quite a long time. My Father never once attended church but my Mother has been a regular churchgoer her whole life and I think there's many couples like that. I don't think I've ever read a study that compared the number of females versus males who are religious or are atheists but it would be interesting to see what the figures are.
I also agree with the point that the younger generation appear to be much less interested in religion than their parents but again it would be interesting to compare the stats on the male versus female.
Kind of amazing if one thinks about it. The MEN who wrote the bible usurped all manner of authority over females. Women were supposed to basically do what their husbands wanted them to do. They were to hold no official positions in the church and go along with MEN preachers. One doesn't have to ponder long till they see that primitive man was very little different than the animal kingdom. The Alpha MALE was the boss.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
I still go to church and so does my wife. I do notice often that the look on many of the mens faces is sourpuss while the women seem to smile happily. Maybe some of the men are getting nagged to come.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Two words

Foot Ball

Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Two words

Foot Ball
Actually I think football is one word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality