Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,792,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
People think the earth is 6000 years old????????????????????????????????????
Yes, a very large chunk of Americans do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,792,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I believe the earth is many millions of years old and believe in creationism.
Creation and Creationism are not the same thing.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,518,920 times
Belief has nothing to do with the age of the earth. The age of the earth has been determined from many different paths and all point to the FACT that the earth is 4.54 Billion years old. Now some Idiots may deny this fact, but that does not have any impact on how old the earth is. Some things are not a matter of opinion, and I don't care what your religious beliefs are.

If you think/believe/hope/pray that the earth is any younger than it actually is, you're just out of luck. Sorry for your mental illness, but just deal with it.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,501,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Belief has nothing to do with the age of the earth. The age of the earth has been determined from many different paths and all point to the FACT that the earth is 4.54 Billion years old. Now some Idiots may deny this fact, but that does not have any impact on how old the earth is. Some things are not a matter of opinion, and I don't care what your religious beliefs are.

If you think/believe/hope/pray that the earth is any younger than it actually is, you're just out of luck. Sorry for your mental illness, but just deal with it.
And there it is!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM

588 posts, read 797,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Unfortunately we are the ones who need to deal with it. Belief in the Adam/Eve story with the talking snake was not founded on logical thinking, so logical arguments will never be useful to get creationists to re-evaluate their beliefs.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,501,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Unfortunately we are the ones who need to deal with it. Belief in the Adam/Eve story with the talking snake was not founded on logical thinking, so logical arguments will never be useful to get creationists to re-evaluate their beliefs.
And while we're at it, I want my rib back!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Don't I know it. I am from the South, and I was actually kicked out of a FB Alumni group for daring to debate that the earth was more than 6,000 years old. It is our problem, but it is infuriating to have to deal with people who think that their delusions require special hearing because they are religious delusions.

The denial of things like evolution and the other basic scientific facts make the United States a laughingstock among other technically advanced nations. The only other places in the world that suffer from as much religious delusion as the U.S. are primitive areas and nations. Great job.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,470,923 times

Does the Universe Have a Purpose? feat. Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
who made Pat Robertson an authority figure to speak on such matters? Not GOD! I don't care how much money evangelicals pay him to speak lies on national TV. Who do you believe God or Man?

The indoctrination of a multi billion year old universe goes DEEP into the minds of society reaching to our most vulnerable population - our children. Adolf Hitler once said something of the equivalent "give me the public schools and you give me the nation", and we see it happening again. The REALITY is that a number of ASSUMPTIONS are built into the aging factors (things such as Evolution being Fact not religious ideology) and that when talking billions of years the percent error increases exponentially. The more one honestly studies the dating methods, the more flaws can be seen in their approach. Certainly it's not based upon FACT but scientific theory bordering on religious DOGMA.

Building theories on purported assumptions proclaimed as absolute FACT increases error exponentially and one thing we learn about man's scientific conclusions is that they have been wrong time after time and proven not to be FACT but erroneous conclusions by fallible Man. It is not good practice of science.

Man is fallible. God is not. Who are you putting your faith in? The day is coming when your faith will be tested.
I could care less about any imaginary deity and it's followers total lack of intellect and rejection of what's right in front of their faces: the only thing that really bothers me about this, is how on earth accepting the scientific idea of evolution became religion? Is there a religion for gravity? How about germ theory of disease? That last one is an interesting one, it's just a "theory" (although theory in the scientific sense is different than in common parlance), and yet Christians accept it, even though the Bible is clear that disease is caused by sin. So why don't Christians reject it as vehemently as they do evolution? I have yet to get a clear answer on this from Christians. I'm waiting.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
who made Pat Robertson an authority figure to speak on such matters? Not GOD! I don't care how much money evangelicals pay him to speak lies on national TV. Who do you believe God or Man?
The imaginary god of the Bible is the biggest liar and killer that has ever been conjured up by gullible and scared humans. Why SHOULD I believe ANYTHING you say, ESPECIALLY since your religious authority, faith and belief carry no more weight in the scientific community than does Pixie Dust.

Science observes, then explains. Religion is just the opposite, you start with a rigid conclusion and then go poking around and quote mining for things that you hope will support your unsupportable position. Science has made observations from many vantage points that show the earth is 4.54 BILLION YEARS OLD.

I don't give a tinker's damn what you think, believe or what your religion thinks about it. Your belief is IRRELEVANT with regard to scientific matters. Again, deal with it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality