Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM

701 posts, read 800,581 times

Advertisements

There are so many that would like to see religion done away with, but I am curious to understand what would change? Sure, religious wars would end, but would war end? Would hate, greed, jealousy, intolerance and various other negative human traits cease to exist simply because religion is gone, or would those who acted upon those emotions in the name of religion simply find another tool that they can pervert and missuse to further their agenda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
There are so many that would like to see religion done away with, but I am curious to understand what would change? Sure, religious wars would end, but would war end? Would hate, greed, jealousy, intolerance and various other negative human traits cease to exist simply because religion is gone, or would those who acted upon those emotions in the name of religion simply find another tool that they can pervert and missuse to further their agenda?
All we have to do is look towards North Korea, China under Mao, Stalin and many other examples of evil secularists.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
"Done away with" by whom? It is kinda hard to answer your question without that clarification.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
All we have to do is look towards North Korea, China under Mao, Stalin and many other examples of evil secularists.
You might want to learn what "personality cults" are. The worshipping and fear that those leaders you cited as "evil secularists", were any thing but secularist! They were gods themselves. They, themselves, started their own religions. But, I agree that man will always find a way to make war with others. Religion or not

Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
Finally, a thread on CD that isn't polarizing! In all seriousness, I think the issue of "seeing religion done away with" is central. Autocratic governments that attempt to wipe out religion are disgusting to most people, religious or not.

But I don't think those are necessarily representative of secular societies in general, are they? I would posit much of Scandinavia, Japan, or the Czech Republic as examples of non-religious societies, as well, and democracies to boot. Having lived in a secular democracy (in which the majority was non-religious), I can say that vice, stupidity, and corruption most assuredly remain!

However, as a generally tolerant, "friendly neighborhood atheist", one thing that I found a little more palatable while living there is that one could honestly disagree with another person's views without them retreating into the "It's my religion, so it's taboo to criticize me" stance you sometimes see in the U.S. I also saw far less of the anti-science (creationism, anti-stem-cell research) attitude you frequently encounter here. It was really eye-opening for me as an American to meet people who in the States would be almost stereotypical "Christian types" (clean-cut, family-oriented traditionalists) say that they were atheists without the discomfort (or defiance) that you witness here.

But I think many folks of all stripes would agree that the best society in which to live is one in which religious beliefs are personal, and no one is coerced to believe or not believe.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
People are self-centered and evil by nature. Religion being gone would simply allow for sinners to live as they please.

Have you ever read Lord of the Flies?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oh, no. North Koreans seem pretty theistic. You can't use that one anymore.

They believe in unicorns.
//www.city-data.com/forum/27163976-post1.html

They seem to revere their leaders way, way more than anyone naturally should.

They disagree with most experts about how evolution happened:

“Ever since humanity originated, it was centered around Pyongyang. The Korean people have lived for centuries around the Teh Don Gan Basin. Korean people did not migrate from other regions to the Peninsula. Evolving through several anthropoids … Humanity finally reached the ancestors of modern Koreans: “The Black Mountain Grape Humanoids.”
Evolution of Humans according to North Korea « Anthropology.net

Also, they think Kim Jong Il invented the hamburger, was the greatest golfer of all time, and that he was born in the following manner:

According to North Korean historical literature, Kim Jong Il was born in a log cabin inside a secret base on Korea’s most sacred mountain, Mt. Paekdu. At the moment of his birth, a bright star lit up the sky, the seasons spontaneously changed from winter to spring, and rainbows appeared.
Top 10 Crazy Facts About Kim Jong Il - Listverse

You have to take them now. Just pretend to be their friends so they'll leave the rest of us alone.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
People are self-centered and evil by nature. ...snip....
This explains much.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This explains much.
Yup. Like how we insist on ramming our values (or lack thereof) down everyone else's throats.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
What would really be a novel concept is....if people actually started practicing their religion by...LOVING THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEIRSELF. Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality