Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Some valid points, but remember: 150/100 years ago, when Unitarian Universalism was becoming big, it was the "anti-tradition". It seemed to do away with the stolid, Christain-based legacy for a New Way. But check it out: it would hardly be considered much different at all by today's standards! If you could transport 19th century Unitarianism into today, it would seem more "same old, same old" than different. (The stained glass window on my town's old UU church has an open Bible smack dab in the center.) In other words, there really wasn't any big movement away from traditional religious belief 100 or 150 years ago; even what presented itself as the "alternative" wasn't all that different. (The UU has mirrored society's shifts by becoming completely separated from traditional Christianity over the last 50 years).
Today, the "alternative" is TRULY different: stout, antipathetic atheism; and it's sizable (and growing).
I think that UUs are pretty different than most mainstream Christianity. No proselytizing, no trinity, no eternal damnation. It wass essentially humanism with a "spiritual" gloss. In addition at that time there was movement toward humanism as an alternative religion, as in the Free Religion Association, the Humanistic Religion Association, and Ethical Culture societies. This was a big thing.

And it wasn't all nicey nice either. Ingersoll was a rockstar of his day drawing huge crowds, the Hitchens of the late 1800's, and his agnosticism was not a gentle sort. For example:

“The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation, and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be believed only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called faith.”
Robert G. Ingersoll

“Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery.”
Robert G. Ingersoll

“Take from the church the miraculous, the supernatural, the incomprehensible, the unreasonable, the impossible, the unknowable, the absurd, and nothing but a vacuum remains.”
Robert G. Ingersoll

These are not the remnants of a meek sort of disagreement with religion. No, I think that the ideas of freethought, of religious skepticism, of doubt have only started down the road toward recovering the kind of sway they once had in America. If anything, I think the debate has gotten more polarized because of the politicization of particularly conservative Christianity in the 1970's, not because atheists are somehow more strident than ever before in history... I think in large part we are simply slowly uncovering out birthright, the history of heresy, doubt, and unbelief that has been buried.

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Another good'un, NoCapo.

Seems an interesting, sensible man.*

*Translation: I agree with him.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Another good'un, NoCapo.

Seems an interesting, sensible man.*

*Translation: I agree with him.
If you need some interesting reading, Try Jennifer Michael Hecht's book, "Doubt: a history". It was really eyeopening to me what a rich legacy unfolds when you trace doubt, skepticism, freethought and the like through history. The influence of these men and women who bucked orthodoxy and embraced questioning and seeking is both tremendous, and tremendously unnoticed. There really is nothing new under the sun, to paraphrase one influential doubter, the author of Ecclesiastes.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality