Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,435,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your assessment of Morbert's participation is poorly understood.
Yes. By you alas. But keep working on it.

Quote:
You know your unfounded proclamations and dismissals would make more sense
There is nothing _to_ dismiss. You just make things up and excuse your lack of evidence for those things by claiming it is all hidden away in Dark Matter.

We find ourselves in a universe and none of us know how or why. Some of us are working on getting to that answer. Some of - like you - are just making answers up.

Quote:
Nonsense. WHAT IS IT, then? It is responsible for all creation, life, evolution, etc. . . . yet you pretend it is nothing . . . just to avoid considering its attributes objectively because they would be what we attribute to God.
No one is pretending or avoiding anything - except you. All you are doing here is throwing out things that are and remain open questions. Things we work on. Things we want to know the answers to.

Not being able to explain something at this time does not give one license to just make up any answer that one sees fit or that pleases one.

And claiming I or the user above me called it "nothing" is just you inventing things and putting them in the mouth of others in an attempt to stiffle the things they are _actually_ saying. No one here called it "nothing". All we did was point out that _your_ explanations for it are unfounded nonsense made up seemingly out of nowhere all to fulfil a desire you have to believe that a happy feeling you had decades ago while sitting about doing nothing was a god visiting you.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,707,484 times
Quote:
Your assessment of Morbert's participation is poorly understood. He did no such thing. In fact, he balked at actually addressing the finer mathematical points I made about the mass/energy manifestation of field phenomena. But I can only assume the math was beyond your ken.
You know your unfounded proclamations and dismissals would make more sense if, for example, you were to tell us what "Everything that IS" does mean . . . if NOT God.
The Space Fossil Record shows that this is what it is, responsible for nothing but taking up space.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,728,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffix View Post
People do all the time, people worship other people, objects, fictional characters all the time.
Again, I love that in order to "win", Christians are telling us that their god is a fictional character, comparable to one heavily mythologized by a few corporations for marketing purposes.

OK, so we agree this is a picture of a fictional, non-religious character just like Santa - what's the harm in taking it down? Certainly it isn't a religious image, so there's no issue with the free exercise clause. Why do you care so much about some random imaginary character?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM

66 posts, read 82,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Again, I love that in order to "win", Christians are telling us that their god is a fictional character, comparable to one heavily mythologized by a few corporations for marketing purposes.

OK, so we agree this is a picture of a fictional, non-religious character just like Santa - what's the harm in taking it down? Certainly it isn't a religious image, so there's no issue with the free exercise clause. Why do you care so much about some random imaginary character?

Wo I think you missed my point altogether. By using your logic I can turn your question around and ask you if you don't believe He is real why do you care that there is a picture of Him up?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,707,484 times
Quote:
Wo I think you missed my point altogether. By using your logic I can turn your question around and ask you if you don't believe He is real why do you care that there is a picture of Him up?
Because he's being portrayed as a real person, deceiving the children.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Because he's being portrayed as a real person, deceiving the children.

But yet when they teach evolution in school that is deceiving children.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 PM

33,595 posts, read 37,235,200 times
Quote:
But yet when they teach evolution in school that is deceiving children.
That is insane I guess they should teach the kids bible science then...The earth is flat and the sun orbits around it, snakes and donkeys used to have the ability to talk. All life was magically created a few thousand years ago and have not changed since...All an animal breeder has to do if he wants his cows to have stripes is breed them near a bunch of vertical stakes. Illness is caused by demons inhabiting the body....

All humans descended from one incestuous couple. Adam lived 930 years, and Noah had children when he was 500 years old. God kills every human and animal on earth except the few that were in the ark...God turns Lot's wife into a pillar of salt, millions of Jews wandered in the desert for 40 years, but nary a trace can be found.

God shows Moses how to change a rod into a snake, then back again, and after that he has Moses and Aron turn the water in a river into blood (the first of the ten plagues)...Plague #2 was frogs that covered the land...Then god sends lice, swarms of flies, kills all the cattle, caused boils and blains (whatever that is) to infest man and beast. The seventh plague was hail mixed with fire that killed people and their livestock...Oh, and we mustn't forget the locusts that covered the entire earth...Plague #9 was three days of darkness (the probable cause of the first baby boom) #10, The worst plague of all. After creating a baby boom with the darkness god kills all of the first born...
Quote:
Thus saith the LORD, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt: 11:5 And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.
Yup, this is what I want taught to my kids alrighty

Last edited by sanspeur; 02-19-2013 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM

Maybe you just pick up a few things from the Bible online or something because clearly you got things wrong about what it says. For starters show me verses where it says the Earth is flat. Here is a verse that talks about the shape of the earth:

Isaiah 40:22 - It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

The word translated “circle” here is the Hebrew word chuwg which is also translated “circuit,” or “compass” (depending on the context). It indicates something spherical, rounded, or arched, not something that is flat or square.

The book of Isaiah was written sometime between 740 and 680 BC. This is at least 300 years before Aristotle suggested that the earth might be a sphere in this book On the Heavens.

You may be aware of the conflict between Galileo and the Roman Catholic Pope, Paul V. After publishing A Dialogue on the Two Principal Systems of the World, Galileo was summoned to Rome, where he was forced to renounce his findings. (At that time, “theologians” of the Roman Catholic Church maintained that the Earth was the center of the universe, and to assert otherwise was deemed heretical.)

Yet nowhere in the Bible does it say that the Earth is flat or the center of the universe.

God is just, misunderstanding that will lead to misleading ideas about who He is.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM

33,595 posts, read 37,235,200 times
Quote:
Maybe you just pick up a few things from the Bible online or something because clearly you got things wrong about what it says. For starters show me verses where it says the Earth is flat. Here is a verse that talks about the shape of the earth:

Isaiah 40:22 - It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

The word translated “circle” here is the Hebrew word chuwg which is also translated “circuit,” or “compass” (depending on the context). It indicates something spherical, rounded, or arched, not something that is flat or square.

The book of Isaiah was written sometime between 740 and 680 BC. This is at least 300 years before Aristotle suggested that the earth might be a sphere in this book On the Heavens.

You may be aware of the conflict between Galileo and the Roman Catholic Pope, Paul V. After publishing A Dialogue on the Two Principal Systems of the World, Galileo was summoned to Rome, where he was forced to renounce his findings. (At that time, “theologians” of the Roman Catholic Church maintained that the Earth was the center of the universe, and to assert otherwise was deemed heretical.)

Yet nowhere in the Bible does it say that the Earth is flat or the center of the universe.

God is just, misunderstanding that will lead to misleading ideas about who He is.
A circle is a flat two dimensional object...The term "ends of the earth" is used quite a bit in the Bible. When the Bible was written it wasn't a figure of speech... it was a fact.... A sphere has no ends..... Even as late as 1492, people were convinced that Columbus was going to fall off of the earth.

How about the rest of the things in my post, although cherry picking the one thing you think you can refute is typical behavior for bible literalists.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A circle is a flat two dimensional object...The term "ends of the earth" is used quite a bit in the Bible. When the Bible was written it wasn't a figure of speech... it was a fact.... A sphere has no ends..... Even as late as 1492, people were convinced that Columbus was going to fall off of the earth.

How about the rest of the things in my post, although cherry picking the one thing you think you can refute is typical behavior for bible literalists.

The Bible mentions the corners of the earth, although this does not suggest that its saying its flat. Take a circle and find the four points farthest away from each other and there you have it. Although in our language today that might get mistranslated.

What that there were miracles? Science can't explain that and I can't explain things like that, God does things that we can't understand.

I have a few questions about the theory of evolution if you wouldn't mind. Do you believe Lucy is a common ancestor between man and ape?

Do you know that the leg fossil of Lucy was crushed, thus it is an assumption of what the leg’s length was (making the arm/leg length ratio is an assumption). As the length was used to determine it was not fully human or not fully ape.

There is tremendous variety within human beings in arm/leg length ratio, and variety within ape’s arm/length ratio. The arm/leg length ratio that was chosen for Lucy falls within normal ape sizes.

The fossils that were brought together for Lucy were scattered over several miles. How do they know they all belonged to the same animal? Still, an analysis by anatomists Jack Stern and Randall Susman repeatedly define the bones of Lucy as "ape-like."

And since apes can walk upright today I don't see how finding a skeleton of an ape that walked is any indication of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality