Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you kill 1000 helpless babies if your god told you to do it?
Yes, I do what I believe my god wants me to do. 6 9.52%
No 17 26.98%
I do not believe in any gods 40 63.49%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,904,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
FWIW. I am a believer, not a bible literalist..(believing every word there was from the mouth of God)
That approach makes a lot of sense to me.

I understand how a person can believe in gods and even believe some people were related to gods, but it seems silly to think that a written document (Torah, Bible, Quran) is the exact written instructions from a god.

I guess some people like, or need, absolute order in their life.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times
Is an abortionist any better or worse if they say God told them to do it?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,794,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Is an abortionist any better or worse if they say God told them to do it?
I would tend to say exactly the same. I tend to think the morality of an act is determined by the act itself and the exact context of the action, not who gave the order...

I mean, if a man intentionally kills an unarmed child, we assume that is wrong. If a soldier does the same thing under orders from his superior, we still consider that wrong. A portion of the blame goes up the chain, but following an immoral order does not absolve someone of their moral responsibility.

-NoCapo

Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,048,563 times
Actually these people where having whoredom relations with the people of Moses , then a devil came in and created a plague were the people of Moses were getting the plague and getting ill...... God could not heal the people of Moses because Jesus Christ was not there to redeem the people because this was 1400 years before Jesus came ..... So God had the sinners put down to stop the curse ..... So the questions should be `Would you put down all these helpless babies and try to save a few innocent people from dying of the plague, or would you just let every one die and there would be no one left? If God told you ..... As your question lacks to whole truth ....

Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,904,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
..... As your question lacks to whole truth ....
What? My question has no truth. It is only a question.

Are you going to just ramble on or are you going to answer my poll?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:06 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Default Would you kill 1000 helpless babies if your god told you to do it?

It is depressing and frightening that even one person has answered Yes. I fear that it understates the true number who would rather hide behind excuses and rationalizations without publicly proclaiming that in their current belief state . . . they would as well. It is a sad commentary on the stagnating effect that religion has had on the moral and spiritual development of humanity . . . by retaining and promoting the ancient ignorance and superstitions of our ancestors as a sign of Faith in God . . . for over 2000+ years. It is a travesty!

Old 03-02-2013, 04:23 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,570,520 times
Upon further consideration, I would say no. If this god told me to kill children, it would say to me that he does not have the power or will to do it himself. This would declare him to not be the god people of religion keep referring to but a fake. So why bother listening to him?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,344,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I am an atheist but I probably will always hold out hope that there not only is a god, but he someday appears to the citizens of the earth. Of course the god of my hopes cannot be anything like the biblical god or the god of the Qur'an. He (or she, or it) would have to be above pointless slayings, murders, and such irrational concepts as the sin of one person can also be the sin of other people, a scenario found far too often in alleged holy books. So I've kind of ruled out the gods of most major religions.
So have I. I believe in God but not in religion. There are basic rules that we all should live by and follow, nothing more and nothing less. Man has taken those few basic rules and manipulated them in order to obtain riches and control others for their own personal wants.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,344,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Upon further consideration, I would say no. If this god told me to kill children, it would say to me that he does not have the power or will to do it himself. This would declare him to not be the god people of religion keep referring to but a fake. So why bother listening to him?
Good point

Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 PM

11,311 posts, read 11,073,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I didn't vote, but I'll explain my position. I would do what God told me to do, but I would have to be 100% positive that it was God telling me to do it, and I don't know how I would ever know that for sure.
Andrea Yates and Deanna Laney knew for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.