Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,932,455 times

Advertisements

I challenge those with a fundamentalist religious viewpoint to watch this excellent video [by the Demon Dr. Dawkins... ] with a truly open mind, and then tell me why or where it specifically fails in your mind. NOTE TO THE YOWLING-DENIALIST SET: I'll only respond to those with an open mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyMglakWoo

(Sorry: for some technical reason, you have to click on this one (above) to see Part One. Then go to Part Two, below. Thanks!)

Richard Dawkins - The Enemies of Reason Part 2 - YouTube

Go for it! (And remember: you have to have an open mind here, else you'll miss it all!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,569,253 times
I am glad you like the video.

I am not a fan of quackery. New age crap. But Dawkins is becoming paranoid. In my town no one embraces "alternative" medicine.

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-18-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times
I'm sorry...I've read his book. I'm just not impressed with Dawkins. He's just not that great of a philosophical mind.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,049,154 times
Why do atheists feel the need to proseylytize their faith?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry...I've read his book. I'm just not impressed with Dawkins. He's just not that great of a philosophical mind.
I agree. He misses a lot of key details when he gives lectures on certain subjects, and even when thinking about certain hypothesis... having been proved mistaken by his own students on some of his criticisms of sexual-selection hypotheses. It only shows he is as fallible as a preacher, I suppose. Preaching his hypothesis and criticisms. As fallible as any human theology, any human thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Probably because they feel they are right. Much like anti-slavers, anti-apartheid, anti-sorcery, anti-pagan people. It's probably more for self assurance and acceptance as well. But that is often true with all human thoughts.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-19-2013 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM

1,980 posts, read 1,951,344 times
spiritualism is religion version 2.0

Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,078,390 times
My goodness Rifle the beginning of the movie was so much better than the second part! too bad you had to link it instead of embedding it. Astrology stereotyping! LOL

My Psychology professor would always make fun of Astrology as a metaphor for Religion. Good times. Although Astrology is very prevalent, perhaps more so than other esoteric ideas.

Quote:
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence... but here, I seem to get [only] extraordinary excuses."

~ Richard Dawkins in "The Enemies of Reason" @ 16:10

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-19-2013 at 11:09 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 AM

Actually, I'm not quite sure what happened with Part Un or Deux. I'm still not sure why it came out as it did: perhaps you aren't getting the correct parts that I intended. I'll check into it! Thx for noting this!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Hmmm... is that what you see here, Harrier? What I see is an attempt, and a good one at that, by the inestimable (but roundly despised...) Doctor Dawkins to right some wrongs. To establish differences in the value of good old fashioned step-wise SM thinking, versus "feel good" faith-based, "parroty paranormal" and urban-legend medicine.

Examples? my mother told me to bury some dandelion roots out in our garden as a cure for a large wart I had on my finger when I was a kid. I eventually had to have it frozen off with liquid nitrogen, but oddly, the dandelion trick didn't work! I must'ah done it wrong, huh?

Ditto for burying a dead family cat upside down (i.e.: feet up! How uncomfy!) with a picture of someone you didn't like laid on the dead felid's stomach! This, apparently, would cause the victim to have perpetual bad dreams.

But yet again, my brother's best friend Bob, a real bully type who gave me a lot of trouble for a few months, didn't suffer at all when we buried poor old Tabby with a picture of Robert cuddled into her stomach fur! I eventually had to put itching powder into Robert's T-shirt and then watch him suffer all that long hot, sweaty summer afternoon. Giggle!

So.. What's with this spiritual failure stuff anyhow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality