Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 AM

96 posts, read 112,669 times

Advertisements

Sure we are the most advanced creatures on the planet, but what I don't get is why would any God give us trillions of neurons and such weak memories?

Some people have photographic memories but the majority of people have selective remembering. If most people were to even read the Bible, let alone an encyclopedia, they would remember very little and it would most likely not be in the sequence that they read.

Why would anyone give humans such 'selective memories?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
It is better to ask why our memories work the way they do than to complicate matters with invisible beings.

I haven't read the literature lately but my recollection is that people with photographic memories often have difficulty managing the sheer volume of data and get bogged down in minutia. Presumably we evolved to make quick decisions for our survival and my guess is that our brains are still optimized for eluding predators, not so much for operating in the modern civilized world.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
It is up to the individual to develop their potential. I read the Bible and attended church as a youth and had no trouble remembering it. Perhaps, the real issue with "selective" memory has to do with non-accountability for one's actions?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It is up to the individual to develop their potential. I read the Bible and attended church as a youth and had no trouble remembering it. Perhaps, the real issue with "selective" memory has to do with non-accountability for one's actions?
I don't think you are accepting accountability if you don't function athletically at an olympic level, don't have a photographic memory, and aren't fluent in at least 10 languages.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leerabian View Post
Sure we are the most advanced creatures on the planet, but what I don't get is why would any God give us trillions of neurons and such weak memories?

Some people have photographic memories but the majority of people have selective remembering. If most people were to even read the Bible, let alone an encyclopedia, they would remember very little and it would most likely not be in the sequence that they read.

We just don't turn on a brain at a whim and expect it to operate at peak efficiency. There are tons and tons of factors, over a person's lifetime, which influence their cognative abilities.

I do not think the question is doing justice to this. People by and large have amazing memories! Now, whether they have spent their life living a lifestyle which is properly training and maintaining their brain to operate more efficiently and effectively is another story.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Maybe this is taking it away from god *phew!* but there are disorders where people remember everything that enters their brain and they are usually dysfunctional, unstable and have great difficulty trying to lead a normal life because of it.

We don't remember everything on purpose thanks to evolution (or a smart god if you must believe in one ) as the vast majority of the information that enters our heads is useless fluff that overloads the brain if we keep it in there too long.

I for one am glad for it... if I remembered every minute of every day sitting at my desk at work doing mindless tasks I would be typing this from a mental institution instead of work!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
What you need is Jesus Holy Spirit on your life , as when He is there all you have to do is hear the Word of God , and He would remind you of scriptures which you heard when ideas come up and faith is expressed....... Then there are food nutrients which can help in remembering like antioxidants like berries ,and fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water...always can help

Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leerabian View Post

If you believe that god gave us anything, I'd say a bad memory is the least of your worries.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Why would a God give humans bad memories?

...and bad breath?
Quote:
Sure we are the most advanced creatures on the planet,....
Really? We excel in only one thing...intelligence (and looking around at the world I wonder if we can even claim THAT accolade). Take away the need for intelligence and we wouldn't last five minutes on this planet. We can't fly like a bird, we are not strong like an ox, our smell, sight and hearing is rubbish compared to most other animals, we can't run as fast as a Cheetah, work without rest like an ant or lift as much in relation to our size, we can't survive without food or water for long periods like some animals can. There are many examples of other animals that are far more 'advanced' than us...it's just that WE like to THINK we are superior to every other life form. Truth is, if the need for intelligence and technology disappeared tomorrow, we would probably end up at the bottom of the food chain before you could shake a stick!!

Last edited by Rafius; 04-12-2013 at 12:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 03:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Maybe God didn't give humans a "bad memory"...maybe He figured if it was something worth remembering you/we would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality