Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 PM

522 posts, read 625,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Hell is true? It's just a fact. Why would we want to hide that? Until we understand what Christ did for us, we don't understand the love of God.
I also believe in the existence of Hell. Our disagreements, if they're there, is more on the nature of Hell than its existence.

And even then I do worry that mere separation doesn't fit the Bible, the Councils, or the visions of saints. I do think possibly "a dark place of gnashing teeth" might, and be less inhumane sounding then fiery torment, but I do wonder if "Hell is a dark place where those separated from God live in eternal regret" would even be properly Biblical.

Quote:
I get that--you place more emphasis on the Church's teachings and traditions. I would argue that maybe you ought to pay more attention to the teachings of the apostles.
They are critically important. Peter, James, John.

Quote:
So? I've seen Catholics that believe in voodoo. It doesn't mean it's official church teaching. Nor are prayers for the dead based in the Torah.
It's in Jewish tradition, the Septuagint, etc.

The E-l Malei Prayer for a Man - The Yizkor Service - OU.ORG
Yizkor: Recalling the Dead - Death & Mourning - "This memorial service is founded on a vital principle of Jewish life, one that motivates and animates the Kaddish recitation. It is based on the firm belief that the living, by acts of piety and goodness, can redeem the dead."

Quote:
Nonsense. The apocrypha was never part of the Bible.
I respect that that is Protestant teaching. I just think it's at least arguable that teaching is supported in generally accepted history. Sure the deuterocanonical books aren't in the current Jewish canon, but they were in the oldest Christian bibles. Codex Sinaiticus, etc.

Codex Sinaiticus - Home
Oldest known Bible goes online - CNN.com

That being said I'll grant Melito's canon is similar to the Protestant, if briefer, while Athanasius's list of books apparently is as well except that Athanasius apparently included Baruch. The third Council of Carthage looks to have given the non-Reformation canon of the Old Testament. (Although I must concede the African Councils do not look to have been among the Ecumenical Councils, but I don't know if any of the first seven Councils proposed a canon more like the Masoretic or Protestant)

The Third Council of Carthage on the Canon of Scripture

But discomfort on the historicity of the deuterocanonical books, and on varying from the Jewish canon, presumably lead to the Reformation version of the canon which is held by that minority of Christians who are of Reformation denominations. (The majority of the world's Christians being Catholic or Eastern)

Quote:
Do you mean sheep and goats?
D'oh. Yes of course.

Quote:
Sure we do. We just don't have a vocation for it. One could certainly argue that the idea of hiding away in a monastery goes against the Great Commission to go make disciples.
Preacher isn't the only vocation in the New Testament. Many monastics serve a function as teachers which is also recognized.

Last edited by TAJR; 04-18-2013 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,143,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm sorry, I answered you the best I could. I was directly answering your question to me, or thought I was. I am lost at this point, not sure what you wanted answered. Perhaps you can PM me and try to explain what it is you want.
thats ok and thanks...its only a talk thing and supposed to be a nice break in the day...all I was wondering was what your thinking was in this topic because you were very passionate with the idea in reply that I quoted...so it doesn't really matter and sometimes thinking about these things has a way of its own or just keeps going in curiosity, which seems good to go and serves well in most ways.

Last edited by stargazzer; 04-19-2013 at 02:05 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 07:14 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,435,842 times
Quote:
Making sure their beliefs line up with scripture has never really been a major cause of concern for the Catholic church. They just need to make sure their doctrines jive with past "infallible statements" by previous popes.
And the religious cults based on 'sola scriptura', cherry-pick and interpret scripture to line up with their own beliefs. That's why there is so many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality