Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I don't advocate the burning of ANY book!!! The point is there are fringes of Islam that this action will incite violence from them.

Vizio if you know an action you take that has no real purpose would incite a violent action in others possibly leading to the injury or death of others would you still do it?

I don't understand how anyone would defend burning any books.
You don't see me on tv lighting up a stack of korans out front of my church, do you? I'm not suggesting I want to do it....but if you want to, or if I wanted to, we have that right. And the "religion of peace" ought to be peaceful enough not to kill people as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You don't see me on tv lighting up a stack of korans out front of my church, do you? I'm not suggesting I want to do it....but if you want to, or if I wanted to, we have that right. And the "religion of peace" ought to be peaceful enough not to kill people as a result.
Mark this down on your calendars, folks, but I happen to agree with Vizio on this.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,467,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I don't advocate the burning of ANY book!!! The point is there are fringes of Islam that this action will incite violence from them.
So what?! So, we should just tiptoe around the Muslim religion in fear that we might offend them and they'll cause violence? They declared a fatwah and killed the publisher of a Dutch cartoon that depicted Muhammad. Should we live in fear of a bunch of thugs and limit our own freedoms on the off chance we offend a bunch of overly sensitive thugs? Absolutely not!

I'm not saying the guy burning the Korans is a wise man or anything of the sort but if he wants to purchase his own Korans and burn them then he has the freedom to do so.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,358,805 times
I'd shoot anyone who tries to shoot him. If anyone tries to briskly smack him with a baseball bat though, I'd say, "Stop....Oh darn...why aren't you stopping? Oh well...time to go watch T.V."

Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And the "religion of peace" ought to be peaceful enough not to kill people as a result.
Million have been killed by followers of the Prince of Peace. Is that peaceful? Is that what He told us to do?

Or do you get to call out just the Muslims because they don't have it "right"? (Or is killing in Jesus's name OK because..... it's in Jesus's name and not Muhammad's?) Funny how quick some are to point fingers. There is PLENTY of violence to go around in the name of religion. Sadly, Christians are in no position to throw stones at anyone else and tell them how they 'ought' to be.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-20-2013 at 10:19 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,358,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So what?! So, we should just tiptoe around the Muslim religion in fear that we might offend them and they'll cause violence? They declared a fatwah and killed the publisher of a Dutch cartoon that depicted Muhammad. Should we live in fear of a bunch of thugs and limit our own freedoms on the off chance we offend a bunch of overly sensitive thugs? Absolutely not!

I'm not saying the guy burning the Korans is a wise man or anything of the sort but if he wants to purchase his own Korans and burn them then he has the freedom to do so.
It's not good to be wasteful though. I do not like it when people do things that have negative consequences merely to prove that they can. At some point, the angry response to the I'm not touching you game, in which someone floats their hand centimeters from the other person's face, becomes partially the fault of the person playing the I'm not touching you game. Although most of the fault, I do think, lies on the shoulders of the person who smacks the person playing the I'm not touching you game.

The value system of it being viewed as reasonable to view verbal attacks as damaging as physical attacks may not be ours, but it is a valid value system...a potentially secular value system too. Any view that says, "Their value system is irrelevant. Only ours works," seems egotistical...no offense.

Draw all the images of prophet Muhammad you want though. An opposition to that seems like it could interfere too much with our daily lives to pay attention to. There are too many sensible reasons someone might draw images of prophet Muhammad to give negative feedback towards people who draw his image. Even just drawing it to tick people off might be a sensible act of protest, to protect those who draw the image for sensible reasons.

Last edited by Clintone; 04-22-2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 AM

16,709 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Most of the posts in this thread have taken paying attention to news events to a new low. When this dingbat started talking about this before, it was well reported that such an act, intentionally mocking and defacing the words of Allah, would be considered blasphemy by Muslims, and they are instructed to kill the infidels.

Sure, the US Constitution preserves a person's rights, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that this fool is just standing up in front of cameras and microphones asking for someone to kill him. He has to be well aware after the last time he tried this stunt that such as act is an insult to Islam.

Did all of you miss the news last year when this was covered?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,901,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
He has to be well aware after the last time he tried this stunt that such as act is an insult to Islam.
Yes, I bet he is aware.

I also bet the 'artist' who put a crucifix in a bucket of urine and called it "P**s Christ" was aware it would be offensive to Christians. However, as I recall, he thought we taxpayers should pay him to do it.

At least Terry Jones is not asking us to pay for the Korans he plans to burn.

It is great to live in Amereica.

Last edited by hiker45; 04-22-2013 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,558,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, I bet he is aware.

I also bet the 'artist' who put a crucifix in a bucket of urine and called it "P**s Christ" was aware it would be offensive to Christians. However, as I recall, he thought we taxpayers should pay him to do it.

At least Terry Jones is not asking us to pay for the Korans he plans to burn.

It is great to live in Amereica.
I remember the Christ incident and I do remember many did not make such a big deal as many are about this guy burning the Koran. They said freedom of expression. Well, the same should be said about this guy regardless of how inappropriate I think it may be. Take care.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,943,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
It may do so. However, should people live in terror of expressing their views because of this? What I understand free speech does not require to be smart or stupid. It is a protected right.

I must admit that as a society we have become more and more protective of other groups that bring their ideas from other countries than our own people doing the same. Take care.
I agree. Is it productive for him to burn them? Probably not. But he has a right to do so, so let him do it. Those who commit violent acts as a result are alone responsible for those acts. People choose how to react and are accountable for those decisions. Those who are afraid of being offended really need to not come here in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality