Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM

196 posts, read 115,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
This just describes people who have no comitment to spiritual Truth, as shown over thousands and thousands of lifetimes. It's important to understand that this scripture describes people who have had a VERY LONG TIME to change and have not done so, and therefore drag the rest of us down.
I'm 78 years old. I lived the church life till I was over sixty. I've never seen a prayer answered or anything approaching devine intervention. That's why I finally quit trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
I'm 78 years old. I lived the church life till I was over sixty. I've never seen a prayer answered or anything approaching devine intervention. That's why I finally quit trying.
It is really sad when people are so negatively affected by their "church life" that they walk away from their relationship with God.

At your age and time of life, I do hope you will reconsider going one on one with Him and forgetting all the "church stuff" that turned you off and got you so aggravated and frustrated.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is really sad when people are so negatively affected by their "church life" that they walk away from their relationship with God.

At your age and time of life, I do hope you will reconsider going one on one with Him and forgetting all the "church stuff" that turned you off and got you so aggravated and frustrated.
And I sincerely hope that someday your attitude will cause you to stop thinking that because I don't believe a 2000 year old fairy tale that I'm doomed to roast in a lake of fire for all eternity. What a load of ****

Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
And I sincerely hope that someday your attitude will cause you to stop thinking that because I don't believe a 2000 year old fairy tale that I'm doomed to roast in a lake of fire for all eternity. What a load of ****
I didn't say you were

I was only meaning to wish you peace Finley.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM

20,041 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
I didn't say you were

I was only meaning to wish you peace Finley.
It sounds like Finley, like me, got a lot of literal hellthreat from his church experience, perhaps unlike you and unlike many liberal Christians.

I don't think Finley was saying he was "aggravated and frustrated" any more than you were saying he was hellbound, though. My guess is he's a lot less aggravated and frustrated since he left the faith. I say this only to correct a common misconception that atheists tend to be cranky, unhappy, bitter people. We are no more so than any other group. But when we talk in these settings, yes, we are frank about the hurt and disappointment and frustration that pushed us out of the faith originally.

Not everyone needs religion to be happy, well adjusted, friendly, open, and peaceful. Some of us, in fact, need to stay out of religion to be all those things.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It sounds like Finley, like me, got a lot of literal hellthreat from his church experience, perhaps unlike you and unlike many liberal Christians.

I don't think Finley was saying he was "aggravated and frustrated" any more than you were saying he was hellbound, though. My guess is he's a lot less aggravated and frustrated since he left the faith. I say this only to correct a common misconception that atheists tend to be cranky, unhappy, bitter people. We are no more so than any other group. But when we talk in these settings, yes, we are frank about the hurt and disappointment and frustration that pushed us out of the faith originally.

Not everyone needs religion to be happy, well adjusted, friendly, open, and peaceful. Some of us, in fact, need to stay out of religion to be all those things.
Appreciate the reminder that maybe most of the atheists here are only "cranky, unhappy and bitter people" because of this particular setting - not so much in their real lives

I don't think anyone needs religion - but everyone could, in my opinion, be even happier and more peaceful if they would allow themselves a personal one on one relationship with God.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 AM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Quote:
Appreciate the reminder that maybe most of the atheists here are only "cranky, unhappy and bitter people" because of this particular setting - not so much in their real lives

I don't think anyone needs religion - but everyone could, in my opinion, be even happier and more peaceful if they would allow themselves a personal one on one relationship with God.
You have it completely backwards...The happiest and most well adjusted people I know are non believers, and the most miserable are the most devout.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,868,840 times
Quote:
...everyone could, in my opinion, be even happier and more peaceful if they would allow themselves a personal one on one relationship with God.
Having a 'relationship' with a god is just another way of saying 'I talk to myself a lot'.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Quote:

It has been well observed that the drunk is happier when drunk than when sober.

Atheists who have deconverted often say - while often admitting that there was a great feeling of losing something that had felt pretty good - that they gained a great deal from going atheist. Now Finley's post probably looked to you like an embittered individual lashing out as someone trying to offer help, but I can see it from his point of view.

Deconversion often means dropping the whole package. While some minor event may cause the disillusionment, the non- belief will often (not always) extend to all the god -claims, and logically quite rightly so.

Therefore, when a well meaning believer comes in a spirit of friendship proffering a sachet of Oofle -dust to someone who has kicked the habit, don't be surprised if they smack you on the wrist.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:

What about Joel Osteen.....made about a billion dollars and said his faith was too weak to continue. What about that stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality