Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 PM

26 posts, read 19,739 times

Advertisements

I was raised Roman Catholic, as many of you know the RCC regards abortion to be murder in all circumstances, and also prohibits the usage of birth control and condoms within otherwise acceptable sexual relationships (ie heterosexual marriage).

I'm now a Muslim and the traditional Islamic belief as affirmed by most scholars (even traditional ones, although the few scholars that do ban abortion tend to be western scholars who seem to have been influenced by the Christian view on abortion) is that the baby becomes a real life (receives a soul) around the point of 100 days of gestation and abortio is something that is allowed before that point if the baby was conceived by rape or will be left uncared for in life due to illegitimacy or familial poverty, and it is allowed after that point if the mother's life is endangered because the extant life is more important than the potential life.

On birth control or condoms within a marriage (the only halaal scenario for sexual relations) it is allowed if caring for another child is an undue hardship financially, or if the wife's body cannot handle a pregnancy, and both the husband and the wife must agree to using birth control or condoms. If you can provide for more children and the wife is physically able to have a healthy pregnancy then "we don't want any more kids" isn't considered a valid reason. However, if there's a valid reason to use birth control or wear a condom within marital sex and your spouse won't consent to it, the partner has a right to withhold sex. That last part may sound a little strange, but it ties into one of the basic obligations of Islamic marriage is to sexually satisfy your partner, and if a man won't sexually satisfy his wife or vice versa without valid reason it's grounds for a divorce (and the dowry goes with the wronged party) or the husband may take another wife.

I now agree with the Islamic stance on these matters, but I had a big problem with it when I first converted and I actually Skyped with a scholar in Egypt and asked him to convince me from a moral perspective that it isn't murder, since I had always believed that abortion was always wrong and that life begins as soon as as fertilization occurs.

Where does your religion stand on this issue, and do you agree or disagree?

(By religion, I mean your particular sect if applicable. There is a lot of difference between Southern Baptists, Church of Sweden Lutherans, Greek Orthodox and Unitarians but they're all Christian.)

My post isn't intended to start arguments and cause hate between people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:47 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
God said from Deuteronomy 30:19......... ``I call heaven and earth to record this day against you that I have set before you life and death , blessing and cursing, There for choose life that both you and your seed may live ``.............See these Words of God still apply with the senseless abortion of the unborn who do not have a birth certificate , as most Christians lean to life and blessing

Old 04-18-2017, 06:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
I'm going to make one post on this and one only.

Whatever the wrongs and rights, merits and demerits or abortion, contraception or other ways of interfering with the natural course of events, the conclusions and decisions should be based on reason, evidence, law and human compassion.

What it should not be based on is religion.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm going to make one post on this and one only.

Whatever the wrongs and rights, merits and demerits or abortion, contraception or other ways of interfering with the natural course of events, the conclusions and decisions should be based on reason, evidence, law and human compassion.

What it should not be based on is religion.
There is no way to assess the morality of something without consulting your religious beliefs, sorry but telling me to keep my religion out of my politics is telling me not to vote.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnRushd View Post
There is no way to assess the morality of something without consulting your religious beliefs, sorry but telling me to keep my religion out of my politics is telling me not to vote.

That's perfectly fine and as it should be if that's what works for you. It should also be respected that one size does not fit all and there are many views regarding abortion that are both religious and non religious. One is not right and the other is not wrong. It's an individual choice.

What's even more tragic is that female babies are routinely killed in other cultures. Our Indian friends told us about many female babies that were killed in their village. There are worse things then abortion. These murders are just part of life to them, and life is cheap.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Only if your votes are predicated on forcing everyone else to follow the morality of your religion as determined by you. Sadly, there are indeed legions of people who think that their favorite ancient book (at least, the parts they like and don't prefer to ignore or creatively 'reinterpret') should be followed by everyone - under threat of criminal punishment, if need be.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
That's perfectly fine and as it should be if that's what works for you. It should also be respected that one size does not fit all and there are many views regarding abortion that are both religious and non religious. One is not right and the other is not wrong. It's an individual choice.

What's even more tragic is that female babies are routinely killed in other cultures. Our Indian friends told us about many female babies that were killed in their village. There are worse things then abortion. These murders are just part of life to them, and life is cheap.
This thread is literally about religious beliefs, what are you doing here?

Also, relative morality doesn't exist. There is such thing as right, and such thing as wrong.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Only if your votes are predicated on forcing everyone else to follow the morality of your religion as determined by you. Sadly, there are indeed legions of people who think that their favorite ancient book (at least, the parts they like and don't prefer to ignore or creatively 'reinterpret') should be followed by everyone - under threat of criminal punishment, if need be.
I post a question in the "religion and spirituality" forum and get jumped by the Sam Harris crew, really now?

I vote on the basis of right and wrong, correct and incorrect, my religion informs that.

Anyhow, this is a topic about your religion's stance on an issue, and you're opinion on it. If you want to whine about people having a religion, or about people of faith daring to participate in politics, you're welcome to start your own thread. Stay on topic, it seems you have nothing to add to the discussion.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
I said I wasn't going to post more than once, but Ibm, chum, you are doing so well that I have to.

If you think that religion forums are open only to those believing some religion or other and not those whose religious convictions are along the lines of "All bunk, pretty much.." you are behind the times.

We Ungodly Satanspawn take the view that the application of religious questions to social problems is as useful as applying leeches to a smallpox sufferer. And those who seem to think we should should not be here, O Enligthened One who has swapped a lousy religion for an even worse one, are not going to get rid of us or our much -needed input by complaining about us.

We, the Sam Harris crew, the Matt Dililahunty denomination and my own hooded black clad legion of scarlet -sword -wielding chanters of "Hail to Darwin, Dawkins is his prophet", react to such whines and croaks pf protest by gathering in ever closer, eager to get a piece each.

Have a nice day, and sleep on that

Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
He is saying, and I agree with him, that we don't vote based on your god or your religion. "god" told me" isn't a reason for anything but passing off personal responsibility to somebody or something else.

He means, if you can reword your reasons without the word "god" we will listen. Like he said, I may be ok with killing it or not killing it, based on logic.

Just side note: "its my body" for "choice" isn't good to me either. It's not their body, it's the babies. But still, logic may dictate that the life is ended or not.

Its a sucky choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality