Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I pray to God that religions will become obsolete.

I think that religion is wrong. We should all only have a loving relationship with our creator: God the Father, Jesus his Son and the Holy Spirit.
Then you are praying for the obsolesence of your own religion?
Why do some Christians keep saying that they do not believe in religion?
If they did not, they would not believe that Jesus is God's son or God himself or anything more than a regular man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:34 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Then you are praying for the obsolesence of your own religion?
Why do some Christians keep saying that they do not believe in religion?
If they did not, they would not believe that Jesus is God's son or God himself or anything more than a regular man.
No b.frank, religion is the man-made portion of our faith. Just read the gospels, Jesus Christ flew in the face of religious traditions and religious leaders all through the gospels.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No b.frank, religion is the man-made portion of our faith. Just read the gospels, Jesus Christ flew in the face of religious traditions and religious leaders all through the gospels.
Yes, Jesus did, and that is one of the reasons that the people who believed in him created a RELIGION based on him, which is why he is revered as a prophet today.
I guess this is another fundamental difference between the religious and non-religious. Are "you guys" saying that Christianity is so true that it transcends religion? That idea combined with all the talk of atheism as a religion implies that Christians think of religion as a bad thing in general. And that is highly ironic to us non-religious people who acknowledge that Jesus would not be recognized as anything special today if it were not for the R-word.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Talking You're gonna love this!

Quote:
Are "you guys" saying that Christianity is so true that it transcends religion?
YES!

Quote:
That idea combined with all the talk of atheism as a religion implies that Christians think of religion as a bad thing in general.
YES WE DO!!!!

Quote:
And that is highly ironic to us non-religious people who acknowledge that Jesus would not be recognized as anything special today if it were not for the R-word.
It's semantics really. There's a difference in the mind of this Christian in the religion of Christianity and religious Christianity.

My faith is based on a one on one relationship with the object of it, Jesus Christ.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:32 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
YES!

YES WE DO!!!!

It's semantics really. There's a difference in the mind of this Christian in the religion of Christianity and religious Christianity.

My faith is based on a one on one relationship with the object of it, Jesus Christ.
...Amen!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Well I can (barely) understand that.
But you still say you believe in Christianity, no? How could you not?
Isn't this really a way to rectify all of the many divergent Christian views (i.e. a way to say that your particular denom. is right without saying that others are necessarily wrong)?
Very perplexing. Also, it's another thing that appears unique to Christians. I haven't heard of any devout Jews or Muslims who say that they think religion is a bad thing. And I never hear: "I am a Christian but I think Christianity is bad" or even, "I believe in Christ but I think Christianity is bad." What gives?

I notice that despite your emphatic YES responses to some of my questions, you did not answer that way to this one that was in there: "Do you hope (pray) that Christianity becomes obsolete?" It seems that you cannot or will not say YES to that, but the rest of your post implies that you should. Of course, if you did, that would make no sense either.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Well I can (barely) understand that.
But you still say you believe in Christianity, no? How could you not?
Isn't this really a way to rectify all of the many divergent Christian views (i.e. a way to say that your particular denom. is right without saying that others are necessarily wrong)?
Very perplexing. Also, it's another thing that appears unique to Christians. I haven't heard of any devout Jews or Muslims who say that they think religion is a bad thing. And I never hear: "I am a Christian but I think Christianity is bad" or even, "I believe in Christ but I think Christianity is bad." What gives?

I notice that despite your emphatic YES responses to some of my questions, you did not answer that way to this one that was in there: "Do you hope (pray) that Christianity becomes obsolete?" It seems that you cannot or will not say YES to that, but the rest of your post implies that you should. Of course, if you did, that would make no sense either.
OK.

I'll try and explain.

I often say "I'm a Christian but I hate religion" or "I'm a Christian but I think religion is bad." I say it all the time. I actually had to have a discussion with some of the parents of my youth group when they went home and told their folks I had said that. See, their parents are religious. I'm not.

I simply have faith.

Of course I don't pray that Christianity becomes obsolete. But I do hope religion does. Again, Christianity is a relationship with Christ. Religion is a man-made process designed to help herd the masses through enough ritual and tradition to be 'good enough' to please God. All Christianity requires is a "Yes, I'll follow."

No religion involved at all.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
OK.

I'll try and explain.

I often say "I'm a Christian but I hate religion" or "I'm a Christian but I think religion is bad." I say it all the time. I actually had to have a discussion with some of the parents of my youth group when they went home and told their folks I had said that. See, their parents are religious. I'm not.

I simply have faith.

Of course I don't pray that Christianity becomes obsolete. But I do hope religion does. Again, Christianity is a relationship with Christ. Religion is a man-made process designed to help herd the masses through enough ritual and tradition to be 'good enough' to please God. All Christianity requires is a "Yes, I'll follow."

No religion involved at all.
I can't accept your last statement.
Simply, if there were no religion called Christianity, there would be nothing to follow.
If you eschew religion, then you can't be a Christian.
And if you follow Christ, then you are religious.
You see, Christianity IS a religion. That is a given and I can't accept any other interpretation. It's like saying a cat is a dog because a "cat" is just a man-made idea while dogs are the Truth. Makes no sense and has no bearing on reality. For me, this is a whole new level of logical fallacy to fit into my view of Christianity.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I can't accept your last statement.
Simply, if there were no religion called Christianity, there would be nothing to follow.
If you eschew religion, then you can't be a Christian.
And if you follow Christ, then you are religious.
You see, Christianity IS a religion. That is a given and I can't accept any other interpretation. It's like saying a cat is a dog because a "cat" is just a man-made idea while dogs are the Truth. Makes no sense and has no bearing on reality. For me, this is a whole new level of logical fallacy to fit into my view of Christianity.
A person on an island could become a Christian without any knowledge of religion.

religion - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

A relationship with Christ doesn't really fit any of the definitions at the above link.(maybe 1b1)

Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
A person on an island could become a Christian without any knowledge of religion.
OK, I was waiting for a wall to hit me and here it is.
I simply don't believe what you wrote up there. I know that you do though, so...uh...it's another draw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality