Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:40 PM

39 posts, read 533,053 times

Advertisements

I hate to blow it for most of you, but religion is a man-made creation that will very soon be exposed for what it is - a counterintuitive, destructive, manipulative organization that has been feeding off of people's vulnerability and weakness for years.

It's fake, people! I suppose, myself and other non-believers ("atheist" is such a dirty word with so many negative connotations, especially in the US) really wouldn't really give a hoot about this issue if so many religious fundies stopped trying to pass legislation which benefitted their bogus bibically-backed agenda.

When will Americans realize (as most in nearly every other developed nation) that the notion of a man sitting up in the clouds watching every move and every thought you make is utterly ridiculous! It's absolutely astounding to me that someone can actually believe that a man was born of a virgin, performed a bunch of miracles, and then died, and rose again. Especially with zero evidence to support this viewpoint.

Yet, these same religious fundies will balk at repeatable, proveable, time tested scientific research. It just doesn't make any sense.

As I'm sure has been stated on these forums before, you can "choose" (such a favorite word of fundies) to believe whatever you want. It's when you use collective mass ignorance to your benefit to pass or not pass legislation which limit the right of individuals or practices you deem "immoral" that becomes the problem.

I tell ya, unless something changes, this country is headed for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,562,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophix View Post
I hate to blow it for most of you, but religion is a man-made creation that will very soon be exposed for what it is - a counterintuitive, destructive, manipulative organization that has been feeding off of people's vulnerability and weakness for years.

What makes you think that religion is only in this country. Devout holders of faith are in every country - so does that mean the entire world is headed for disaster? (actually it does, read Revelation)

Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 PM

39 posts, read 533,053 times
When did I ever state that religion is only in this country? I stated that in comparison to other developed nations (UK, Japan, Sweden, etc) the US is, to put it frankly, stupid.

The US, despite it's wealth and status as a the most "premier" country, is frighteningly behind in terms of acceptance of reality.

And no, I'm not going to read Revelation. It and every other so-called prophecy have/and will turn out to be false.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:51 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
Quote:

It's fake, people! I suppose, myself and other non-believers ("atheist" is such a dirty word with so many negative connotations, especially in the US) really wouldn't really give a hoot about this issue if so many religious fundies stopped trying to pass legislation which benefitted their bogus bibically-backed agenda.

When will Americans realize (as most in nearly every other developed nation) that the notion of a man sitting up in the clouds watching every move and every thought you make is utterly ridiculous! It's absolutely astounding to me that someone can actually believe that a man was born of a virgin, performed a bunch of miracles, and then died, and rose again. Especially with zero evidence to support this viewpoint.

Yet, these same religious fundies will balk at repeatable, proveable, time tested scientific research. It just doesn't make any sense.

As I'm sure has been stated on these forums before, you can "choose" (such a favorite word of fundies) to believe whatever you want. It's when you use collective mass ignorance to your benefit to pass or not pass legislation which limit the right of individuals or practices you deem "immoral" that becomes the problem.

i am a lil hesitant to respond to post because i see a bit of anger in your post.
i am seeing some name calling but i am trying to get to your point of what you are supporting or heralding as the "correct" path.
let me know. if i understood your post you are also angry with jews and muslims for their beliefs as well? most of them are not american and would not be as charitable a listener as me as to what you have to say.
but i do want to hear what you have to say. so what is the "true" path.
let me know.
no intention of abusing of your good nature in this post. this is an honest attempt to participate based on statements made thus far and to hear out a fellow human being.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,511,676 times
Religion will become obsolete via self-extinction.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:59 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,981 times
I think 19/20 or something to that affect of people on Earth are religious. Have fun stamping out and eliminating religion in your lifetime, it won't happen.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,409,362 times
Quote:
Watch what you wish for,you might just get it.

Typically governments or leaders who have done away with religion have made the people worship them or the system,like North Korea,Stalin,Castro.

Though,countries based on fundamentalism religion like the Taliban or Christianity during the Inquisition can in turn be oppressive also.

Many people who are religious are very decent people though,don't lump together all religious people that they would use twist tactics.

And many people find peace and comfort from it,while you may not understand why,and sometimes people change,one day you might see it all in a different light.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
As a non-church goer and totally non-religious person myself I am somewhat enthralled by the tone of anger, intolerance, and arrogance in your post.

Wheather religion will go away or not, and there is no evidence it will, as engrained in society as it is, it's clear it causes as much comfort to people as it does, admitedly, pain. Perhaps it is mass ignorance, but to have modern man have such a leap of faith as to believe in a supreme being is somewhat....enlightening, for lack of a better word. And that's the key hear - a leap of faith, the ability to beleive without seeing, wheater it is in a God, or in your children, or in forgiveness.

I also find it interesting that you point out the U.S. in particular, in christianity in particular. Do muslims, jews, and hindu count? Do druids and wiccans count in your condemnation? They don't believe in a supreme being as we know it, but surely they are a religion. Do Buddhist count? Do people that practice yoga count?

No, I see you taking the exact same extreme side of those that pretend to beleive in God and use it as a tool for power or influence or money. You're a fundamentalist, just an athiest version.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,085 times
If you want to discuss religion there is a dedicated forum for it. Maybe this should be moved?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:22 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,923,127 times
religion is seeing a decline in america.. especially as technology and innovation and science proves it further and further untrue... and fictitious...
As for america in comparison to the rest of the world... we are always the last first world nation to change socially... call it backwards call it what you may.. but as someone who has lived overseas.. I see the world as a big school... America is the big dumb jock.. with muscles and might and a nice car.. and most look up to for pretentious reasons.. other than that... not much going on upstairs... easily manipulated... and asserting its "coolness" on the rest of the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality