Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times

Advertisements

I believe 75% of the citizens in the U.S. consider themselves members of the Christian faith. Christianity will never become obsolete. Jesus will return and reign supreme. He will overcome all evil in the world.

He has promised this and I believe this promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I believe 75% of the citizens in the U.S. consider themselves members of the Christian faith. Christianity will never become obsolete. Jesus will return and reign supreme. He will overcome all evil in the world.

He has promised this and I believe this promise.
thats why we shouldn't listen to scientists about global warming.. because jesus will come and make it all better right?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
The thread is being transferred over to the R&P forum. Thanks for all the posts here in P&oC.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Sophix,
I'm also an atheist and don't believe in any religion but why do you have to express this point of view that suggests that anyone who's religious must be some kind of idiot? There are many intelligent believers including many members of this forum. I guess what I object to is the condescending tone of your post. I've been responding to posts for quite awhile in this religion forum now and I've gotten to know a few of the people who are believers. They're just not stupid people and what you're saying just comes across as someone who wants to insult people as opposed to discussing the subject intelligently. This topic is alot more complex than you think and it's not a division between the smart people and the stupid people. Sorry but this just struck me the wrong way.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophix View Post
I hate to blow it for most of you, but religion is a man-made creation that will very soon be exposed for what it is - a counterintuitive, destructive, manipulative organization that has been feeding off of people's vulnerability and weakness for years.
Religion can be all of those things. But God is none of those things, and He will never be obsolete as He is in control of everything.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophix View Post
I hate to blow it for most of you, but religion is a man-made creation that will very soon be exposed for what it is - a counterintuitive, destructive, manipulative organization that has been feeding off of people's vulnerability and weakness for years.
And if man-made religions die, I will still have my faith in God, and His Word. No worries here.

You should find an outlet for your anger, my friend. It's misplaced here.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:34 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,519 times
I think that he thinks by belittling those who are religious, he will convince them to convert.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Sophix,
I truly hope you get help with your anger issues and become at peace with yourself.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 PM

279 posts, read 1,348,204 times
I actually agree with everything the original poster said but the post definitly is coming off wrong in writing. Maybe Sophix, you should word your postings differently and it won't come off as being so angry and condescending. However, the underlying point you are trying to get across is something I can relate to. Although I don't think the religion will be extinct any time soon, at least not in this lifetime, but I think it will be eventually.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Well, I'm not a religious person - at least not any organized religion of any kind. I'm also of the opinion that organized religion almost certainly brings more evil than good to the world. This is not because religion itself is evil (religion in of itself is neither good nor evil) but because folks tend to use it to justify the darker aspect of their nature. It doesn't matter how nasty and evil the things are that they do, because it is "Gods will" - therefor it is OK. Followers of EVERY religion have done this and will continue to do this as long as Man is around. Evil always seeks to justify itself - it NEEDS to justify itself. No one ever perceives themselves as a villain, no matter how villainous their deeds.

Having said that, the fact is, religion will never go away. That's because it is Man's attempt to answer the most basic and elementary questions of all. Science and Religion need not be in contention - although they almost always are. The fact is, they really ask DIFFERENT questions. Science really asks HOW whereas religion asks WHY. Science tells us how the universe was created, how Mankind came to be, how I came to exist. Religion asks why the universe was created, why Mankind is here, why do I exist. There is subtle difference, but an important one - one that (unfortunately) most folks fail to grasp. Taken in this context, there IS no conflict between science and religion (or at least there need not be). Science doesn't care if there is a God - it doesn't even ask that question. Religion need not care HOW the universe came to be. After all, what does is matter HOW God created everything? Maybe he did it in 7 days, maybe he did it through evolution. After all, if there is a God, he/she could do it anyway he/she wants. How long it took wouldn't matter. God has literally all the time in the universe.

The problem is not religion itself, it's the dogma associated with the religion - the belief that the Bible (for example) is literal - when those very documents are in fact, crossing over from the realm of religion (asking the WHY) into the realm of science (asking the HOW). Since the priests of any religion are men and women just like anyone else, and the faith of others in the religion provides for their livelihood, typically any questioning of the HOW is taken as questioning the WHY (which it really isn't). However, people being what they are, it is taken as personal affront and a threat to their livelihood - and typically their darker nature rises to the surface in response, resulting in behaviors ranging from simple indigation and outrage all the way to inquisitions and Holy Wars.

So, will religion ever go away?
Not on your life.

Religion exists because Man wants the answers to the ultimate questions (WHY are we here - or more to the point "WHY am I here?"). It is in our nature to want to know those "unknowable" things. Our very sentience demands it. After, in truth how can we be sentient and NOT ask it. They are the most basic, simple questions of them all - but the very most difficult to answer.

Religion provides an answer (or an attempt at an answer anyway). The answer may or may not be right, but in the final analysis it really doesn't matter whether the answers are right or not - it only matters that the believer believes they are right.

For all it's faults (and beleive me there are MANY), religion is the offspring of Mankinds most noble questions and thoughts.

And it will always be with us.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 10-31-2007 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality