Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,769,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
My response to this:

What a nice Pope!

Catholics' response to this:

??

Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics

If you are Catholic and have a response, I am interested in it. It doesn't seem to me as though this would be a popular position from what I've heard of Catholic practices...but I certainly don't pretend to KNOW.

Anyhow it warms my heart.
...........just believe what ya want and be nice and send money we're really broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,769,255 times
To many over ripe institutions not paying their share of taxes..........

Old 05-23-2013, 03:43 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Atheist are most certainly NOT redeemed unless they accept Jesus Christ into their hearts.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solareclipse View Post
I'm not a christian. I don't believe in heaven and hell. So it doesn't matter to me what the pope says about it. Being good for the sake of receiving a material reward (heaven) or because you are threatened with eternal hellfire if you aren't is not the epitome or model of morality I choose to follow. It's not true morality. There's no evidence heaven exists anyways, so its a false hope. Living your life for the good of others and yourself should be its own reward.
My bad then... I am sorry as I must have misinterpreted your post. Personally, I find the whole concept of worshiping a human above moral actions to be pretty reprehensible and I thought that's what you were getting at in your post.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Atheist are most certainly NOT redeemed unless they accept Jesus Christ into their hearts.
I like the "most certainly" part.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
Quote:
Every time I hear this I can't help but imagine that scene in Pulp Fiction when Uma Thurman overdoses and John Travolta has to stab her in the heart with an adrenaline needle. "You must take adrenaline into your heart to be saved..."

Pulp Fiction (3D, HD) - Overdose Needle Scene in optional Analglyph 3D (b) - YouTube

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,893,541 times
Quote:
Since atheists don't believe that there is such a thing as 'God' in the first place, what's the point of their seeking redemption? Isn't that just a little bit silly -- asking something that you don't want or need, from a being that you don't believe in?

It's rather like asking the Abominable Snowman for a solar-powered flashlight.

Just sayin'....

Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 PM

995 posts, read 956,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
My bad then... I am sorry as I must have misinterpreted your post. Personally, I find the whole concept of worshiping a human above moral actions to be pretty reprehensible and I thought that's what you were getting at in your post.

I tend to believe that in all those other religions and mythologies where they are worshipping fictional made-up characters make them all MUCH more morally upright. When you worship a fictional character, you worship the very simple idea they represent, and those characters can be infallible and not contradict themselves. Not true with humans. Certainly not true with the characters of the Bible.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
As I hoped he would, Stephen Colbert, North America's most famous Catholic, addressed his Pontiff's latest pontification on the show tonight.

If you missed it, I'm sure you can find clips online.

He's just glad that Jesus didn't live to see this day....

(He's a funny man.)

Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,218,508 times
Nothing really has changed, reinvention of the church or doctrine or theology or dogma is par for the course.

I do think that they realise that atheist generally have better ecumenical acumen than their own priests and bishops as most of us really made a deep study of biblical origins and church history.

I am certain no priest or pastor that buries a non believer will spout off at their funeral that said person is now in hell.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality