Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm sorry. I did take it for granted all knew I was speaking of altered states where areas of
the brain are "woken up'..the Doors of Perception are flung open and one finds themselves in
Cosmic Consciousness, thus having a transcendent experience (ref. Richard M. Bucke around 1894)....
some might call the 6th sense.

So, albeit, a sense, an advanced sense...much experienced in the Third Eye, pineal gland, Seat of the Soul, yada yada.
Thus, experienced not part of the everyday, ordinary mind.

Not that you will "like" this post...but you are dealing with a person that is not intellectual, not used to debating and often
Illogical .
Sorry.
Well, I have had plenty of altered states and each one is still subjectively experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Well, I have had plenty of altered states and each one is still subjectively experienced.
I understand your point and I recognize the bias that treats the altered states as somehow uniquely subjective vis-a-vis the other sensory information. If you would, please . . . tell me what you experience that is NOT subjective? Perhaps if you told me that . . . I would understand the reason for you making a point of mentioning it about altered states.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Darlin'...I take so little personally, you have no idea. (You can't tell on a Forum how
someone feels, I know.)
I say with no more emotion than shewing a fly away...some people don't 'like' what
I post. I also say happily, "Ok if you'd rather not have me post here, toodles"
I don't care or mind.
I try to express that with a smile and Take care.
This thread IS here for comments.
Quote:
Darlin'...I take so little personally, you have no idea. (You can't tell on a Forum how
someone feels, I know.)
I say with no more emotion than shewing a fly away...some people don't 'like' what
I post. I also say happily, "Ok if you'd rather not have me post here, toodles"
I don't care or mind.
I try to express that with a smile and Take care.
This thread IS here for comments.
None of the posters here are in a position to say you are not welcome here, Miss Hepburn . . . except for the Moderators. You will find a mix of people here. Some will be happy you are posting here. Some will not be. The majority will appreciate whatever you contribute. I can think of no reason you would ever have to say . . ."toodles." I have a cadre of people both atheist and theist who absolutely despise me and my views. But I have a polar opposite group who love me and my views. C'est la vie. I am a scientist and a mystic . . . so I see the big picture from both perspectives.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,398,686 times
Quote:
That's all...
I can't personally rely on a system that uses our senses as input.
We have advanced our sight so much with the Electron Microscope and wow!
And then our Hubble Telescopes....wow, again.

But, when we have, say, a 6 inch scale of the EM Spectrum...what our sense are able to pick up
Is about 1/4 inch of what is out there.
I mean, GEE, I need all these wires and things to just pick up a simple Radio wave.
Look at what we have to do to use an X-ray. And my LCD TV was not cheap to catch all those UHF/VHF Rays
shooting thru me and my shingles right now.

Science is great! But, sadly limited....it's gowing everyday though, and yay! What fun!

But, when a dog can hear more then me, an eagle sees farther...I can't rely on what
my senses or instruments tell me...only, that is.
I have to go to 'the something else'..(personal experience that can't be proven satisfactorily)
Now, y'all don't have to...but this is why I just can't depend
only on what Science is discovering slowly.

I say this bec many don't care for me or my posts...this may help u understand me better.
I would like that.
These may interest you:

A Glimpse into the Meditating Brain

neurometaphysics | brain & mind – where matter meets metaphysics

Einstein - Cosmic Religion

Last edited by Ceist; 05-25-2013 at 11:53 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand your point and I recognize the bias that treats the altered states as somehow uniquely subjective vis-a-vis the other sensory information. If you would, please . . . tell me what you experience that is NOT subjective? Perhaps if you told me that . . . I would understand the reason for you making a point of mentioning it about altered states.
I do not think anything we experience is not subjective. I am not sure what 'altered state' is necessary to experience something objectively - something that gets us at the heart of reality and truth apart from our own personel nervous system? Without science I do not think we would can even begin to approach that objectivity.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,615,882 times
Well, to be honest science has been out scoring God for some time now. It's not perfect but it's saved more lives, prevented more disease, feed and clothed more people, and even rid them of some of their demons (mental health). As slowly as you think science goes, it's really all we've got so far. IMO, of course.

You can imagine anything you'd like, as we are free to do so but you can't make God work on demand like science has for you daily, telling you the weather, providing you shampoo, lotion, and water free of illness, keeping you alive with medicine, protecting you with antibiotics, etc. It's all science, no worship required. Imagine what you'd like but you can't live like you do today without science. I hope you don't take that for granted.

Lucky for you both are included because I'd hate to see you have to make that choice. Just imagine life without the science, only God, you and this earth. Your day would definitely change. Science gives you the freedom to think God does wonderful things. IMO.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,234,323 times
Quote:
Oh for petes sake, I knew what u meant by apihony....close enough.
So what u couldn't spell it...most people have never even had one.
Its not like u couldn't spell organism!!!

I guess I like reading science books more than my bible because I can follow science books better. Not that the bible is hard to follow but it is filled with rules that I can never hope to meet especially when you keep having wives cheat on you and divorce you, eventually you reach a point where you write off legal marriage to protect yourself financially but then you become at odds with the entire religious community.

I hope when I meet Jesus one day he will say, man you really got burned I don't blame you for not getting in bed with the state in that last marriage you had. I cant imagine he smiles upon the going on's of our government these days. When you really get deep into science you can loose yourself in it, the more you know the more you realize you don't know.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,006,263 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I did take it for granted all knew I was speaking of altered states where areas of
the brain are "woken up'..the Doors of Perception are flung open and one finds themselves in
Cosmic Consciousness, thus having a transcendent experience (ref. Richard M. Bucke around 1894)....
some might call the 6th sense.

So, albeit, a sense, an advanced sense...much experienced in the Third Eye, pineal gland, Seat of the Soul, yada yada.
Thus, experienced not part of the everyday, ordinary mind.

Not that you will "like" this post...but you are dealing with a person that is not intellectual, not used to debating and often
Illogical .
Sorry.
These experiences that you speak of, many have enjoyed them and so have I. I however equate them to me, my experiences are mine and belong to me only. I have written about them in the past and will continue to write about them at time goes by. They are (in my opinion) little hidden gems that I can use. My life is lived through my eyes and therefore very subjective, as is evey one elses lives. I don't attach a cosmic truth to my experiences or a defined reference that all must agree to. After all, they belong to just one person, me.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,830,848 times
I'm just trying to get through all the Gee Whiz, Wow, Good Golly Miss Molly exclamations to find the point.

Quote:
I can't rely on what my senses or instruments tell me....

Yet that is exactly what you do, everyday. You rely completely on instrumentation that can detect way beyond your senses or experience, or even a dog's senses, even to stay alive.

Last edited by PanTerra; 05-29-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality